Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown Dallas Retail

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 617
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Las Colinas

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby muncien » 08 Aug 2018 10:18

mcrdal15 wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:I don't really have an update/announcement regarding Downtown Dallas, but I just wanted to say that I hung out in Downtown last Saturday for dinner/drinks and I was really impressed at how lively it all was. We had dinner at Americano, then walked over to the Statler for drinks at Scout (which was very busy). We attempted to check out Waterproof after Scout, but by the time we wanted to check it out, a huge line of about 30 people had formed waiting to get in. There was a decent amount of activity along Main Street and the Statler appears to be a huge hit.

I've always been hesitant to say that Downtown has turned the corner is no longer a ghost town, but I feel very confident in making that claim now. I know it's been decently lively for a couple years now, but, in the back of my mind, there was always the worry that a recession or a few failed projects might set us back. But with the way things are looking now, and with the upcoming developments, I think Downtown is going to get pretty lively in the next few years. In particular, I think the Discovery District and Pacific Plaza Park are going to create some serious activity once completed.


Great update! Funny I was down there on Saturday, but didn't go in the Statler (I've been in there a few times before). I definitely agree with the center of Downtown really coming alive. The walk (or bike or scooter ride) from the Statler to Deep Ellum isn't too far; however, the sidewalk infrastructure on Commerce near and below I-345 is horrendously bad. Main is the only halfway "safe" one under I-345 if you're trying to walk from DT to DE.

No doubt... I-345 is honestly the least disruptive element of this walk. There are so many simple/cheap things that can be done to address this. Simply extending a wide sidewalk along the south side of Commerce with decent trees w/grating along the street to create a buffer and provide shade, and some lighting would be fantastic. I'm always surprised that huge lot hasn't been built on yet...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 143
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby mdg109 » 08 Aug 2018 12:44

DPatel304 wrote:I've always been hesitant to say that Downtown has turned the corner is no longer a ghost town, but I feel very confident in making that claim now.

I was thinking about that this past weekend as well. I think it depends on time of day. Saturday nights are definitely a lot livelier. I was at ChopHouse Burger Sunday afternoon, and overheard a tourist asking the server why there weren't that many people downtown. Yeah, there are more people around even on a Sunday, but to outsiders, it still might seem a little empty.

DPatel304
Posts: 918
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Aug 2018 13:52

mdg109 wrote:I was thinking about that this past weekend as well. I think it depends on time of day. Saturday nights are definitely a lot livelier. I was at ChopHouse Burger Sunday afternoon, and overheard a tourist asking the server why there weren't that many people downtown. Yeah, there are more people around even on a Sunday, but to outsiders, it still might seem a little empty.


Yeah, that's a good point. When I say that Downtown was 'lively', it's really just relative to what it was several years ago. Also, in my experience going Downtown, it's been hit or miss. In the past, it was more miss than 'hit', but the past year or so, it seems to be shifting the other way and the few times I do happen to make it out to Downtown, it's been decently lively (by Dallas's standards). Compared to most other major Downtowns, it still has a long ways to go, but I do believe we are past the hardest part. Once Discovery District, Pacific Park Plaza, and East Quarter are all completed, we'll be in pretty good shape.

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 143
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby mdg109 » 13 Aug 2018 00:14

Was out tonight at around 8pm. Chop House burger was packed, Main Street was lively, and Stone Street Garden patios were pretty full.

Status update on the former Sol Irlandes building: looks like they added a balcony to the patio area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 545
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Aug 2018 09:59

mdg109 wrote:Status update on the former Sol Irlandes building: looks like they added a balcony to the patio area.


Didn't the building owner have to jump through some hoops in order to add the balcony for the Woolworth? This seems like the same type of addition and we haven't heard anything.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 315
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Matt777 » 13 Aug 2018 10:20

lakewoodhobo wrote:
mdg109 wrote:Status update on the former Sol Irlandes building: looks like they added a balcony to the patio area.


Didn't the building owner have to jump through some hoops in order to add the balcony for the Woolworth? This seems like the same type of addition and we haven't heard anything.


The owner of this building is Headington, isn't it? I doubt he ever has to jump through any hoops. Seems to have carte blanche. He demolished some of the oldest buildings in Dallas without any pain whatsoever. I think it's fairly clear with recent developments that most of City Hall can be bought.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 315
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Matt777 » 13 Aug 2018 10:22

Matt777 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:
mdg109 wrote:Status update on the former Sol Irlandes building: looks like they added a balcony to the patio area.


Didn't the building owner have to jump through some hoops in order to add the balcony for the Woolworth? This seems like the same type of addition and we haven't heard anything.


The owner of this building is Headington, isn't it? I doubt he ever has to jump through any hoops. Seems to have carte blanche. He demolished some of the oldest buildings in Dallas without any pain whatsoever. I think it's fairly clear with recent developments that most of City Hall can be bought.


By the way, this "balcony" looks fugly and totally ruins what was a lovely, older building facade.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 545
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Aug 2018 10:44

Matt777 wrote:The owner of this building is Headington, isn't it? I doubt he ever has to jump through any hoops. Seems to have carte blanche. He demolished some of the oldest buildings in Dallas without any pain whatsoever. I think it's fairly clear with recent developments that most of City Hall can be bought.


My understanding was that it's still owned by the original people (Stone Place Mall LLC or whatever). Headington is just leasing this one.

User avatar
Jay9398
Posts: 75
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:35

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Jay9398 » 14 Aug 2018 11:43

lakewoodhobo wrote:
Matt777 wrote:The owner of this building is Headington, isn't it? I doubt he ever has to jump through any hoops. Seems to have carte blanche. He demolished some of the oldest buildings in Dallas without any pain whatsoever. I think it's fairly clear with recent developments that most of City Hall can be bought.


My understanding was that it's still owned by the original people (Stone Place Mall LLC or whatever). Headington is just leasing this one.


Rumor is Headington has the entire thing under contract pending completion of building improvements. Includes this building and the Woolworth building.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 901
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Aug 2018 12:33

What exactly are headingtons plans anyway?...I never hear anything about what they want to do with all these properties.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 545
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby lakewoodhobo » 14 Aug 2018 12:39

Jay9398 wrote:Rumor is Headington has the entire thing under contract pending completion of building improvements. Includes this building and the Woolworth building.


That wouldn't surprise me or anyone else one bit; however, I'll be really upset if this results in Campisi's leaving.

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:What exactly are headingtons plans anyway?...I never hear anything about what they want to do with all these properties.


At this point it's sounding like he wants to run a food hall.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 279
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby exelone31 » 14 Aug 2018 13:17

lakewoodhobo wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:What exactly are headingtons plans anyway?...I never hear anything about what they want to do with all these properties.


At this point it's sounding like he wants to run a food hall.


If it's anything close to what he's pulled off at The Commissary, I'm all in for that. He'll get bonus credit if he never refers to it as a "food hall".

DPatel304
Posts: 918
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Aug 2018 13:22

lakewoodhobo wrote:That wouldn't surprise me or anyone else one bit; however, I'll be really upset if this results in Campisi's leaving.


Agreed, but there is a ton of space in the CBD. Perhaps they could just move close by like what City Tavern is doing, which is perfectly fine with me.

lakewoodhobo wrote:At this point it's sounding like he wants to run a food hall.


This would be pretty awesome if it did end up happening. Great location for one, and the building is the right size and scale.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin
Posts: 157
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:47
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby dfwcre8tive » 15 Aug 2018 01:04

lakewoodhobo wrote:
mdg109 wrote:Status update on the former Sol Irlandes building: looks like they added a balcony to the patio area.


Didn't the building owner have to jump through some hoops in order to add the balcony for the Woolworth? This seems like the same type of addition and we haven't heard anything.


Yes, these two buildings are in the Stone Street Historic District so any modifications have to go through Landmark Commission. Headington's group even had to get approval to expand the walkways a few years ago because the "street" itself is historic. It looks like the historic awning roof was removed from the side of the building? The Woolworth had to go through many reviews to create something simple that does not mask the building and is completely removable.

Stone Street Historic District: http://dallascityhall.com/departments/s ... treet.aspx

City Search: https://dallascityhall.com/departments/ ... h-CAs.aspx

EDIT: this was approved by Landmark Commission, with discussion dating back to November 2015.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Login