Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

If-only / What-if .....

itsjrd1964

If-only / What-if .....

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Sep 2018 22:35

Just saw this earlier in a Facebook group. I know there are those who don't want tunnels, but if the Dallas and/or Fort Worth CBDs had this or something like it (the retail itself, or retail connected to office and/or hotel), wow. There'd be a lot to draw existing/new residents, as well as office workers, plus a (real) grocery store could go into a development like this also. Too bad we're seemingly on the downhill side of plentiful multi-storefront retail, but oh the possibilities!

I45Tex

Re: If-only / What-if .....

Postby I45Tex » 10 Sep 2018 15:52

Maaaaaybe these days that could work, but didn't work in isolation. Tulsa built a nine-block complex with performing arts center, 700-seat movieplex with Dolby sound, fifty retailers and 10+ restaurants, plus office towers and hotels, to no avail: https://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/news/t ... c6e26.html

Even walking capitals like Boston haven't generated too much recent residential demand from major urban malls like the Cambridgeside Galleria or from Copley Place-Prudential Center (which has a major grocer).

ContriveDallasite

Re: If-only / What-if .....

Postby ContriveDallasite » 11 Sep 2018 09:06

itsjrd1964 wrote:Image

Just saw this earlier in a Facebook group. I know there are those who don't want tunnels, but if the Dallas and/or Fort Worth CBDs had this or something like it (the retail itself, or retail connected to office and/or hotel), wow. There'd be a lot to draw existing/new residents, as well as office workers, plus a (real) grocery store could go into a development like this also. Too bad we're seemingly on the downhill side of plentiful multi-storefront retail, but oh the possibilities!

I think in the future this will be the only type of multi-store retail that will be viable. Tying shopping in to the urban day-to-day framework instead of making retail an isolated destination is IMO the best way forward.