Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Frisco: Fields Ranch development

itsjrd1964

Frisco: Fields Ranch development

Postby itsjrd1964 » 07 Aug 2018 20:30

The large tract (outlined in red) has just sold to Hunt Realty Investments and is planned for a proposed mixed-use development. The article mentions the possible relocation of the PGA as a potential part of the project. The total area spans over 2500 acres in size, and is billed as the largest undeveloped tract in Frisco.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ject-plans

itsjrd1964

Re: Frisco: Fields Ranch development

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Aug 2018 01:59

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Aug 2018 05:59

They've certainly got the backing of the regions big money and big planners.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Aug 2018 08:30

Yeah and Frisco is not about to let the chance of scoring the PGA HQ and most likely take the Byron Nelson away from Dallas eventually because of it. At least the Trinity Golf Course could become a park for public access instead of a private golf course like it is now.

DAFW

Postby DAFW » 10 Aug 2018 03:35

So many ideas and thoughts whirring in my head for this place, I'll throw them out just for the sake of discussion:

- I think what excites me most about this project is that Fehmi Karahan is going to be involved... Plus at this point, I could say with certainty that PGA will be moving its headquarters somewhere in here.
Also hearing that they are doing something "Big and Exciting" by such big names has me on the edge of my seat for this one... Hope they mean it. Although the only mentions of zoning are common terms such as "commercial buildings, offices, retail, single-family and multifamily homes" I really hope they push the boundaries on these and try things that have never been done before especially with all that space. As for Education? Did they mean the UNT Frisco Satellite Campus or is that somewhere else?

- Hopefully, the single-family neighborhood is more modern and up-to-date in architecture to match the new Lesso Mall which is being built nearby.

- Creating a major destination is mentioned too, Perhaps in the tract somewhere, a rival much bigger and one that solves all the problems of Plano's Legacy West will rise from these rolling hills and farmland.

- Also I know this is a long shot but I hope they try a more touristy/international destination/one of a kind type of thing, with all that space it would be a shame if they just put a giant single-family neighborhood and then packed an urban center somewhere... I want something like what Grandscape is doing! a small residential neighborhood and a HUGE one of a kind shopping/retail destination that you can't find anywhere else in the U.S. or (if they're really bold) the world.

-Also everything better be walkable. All 2,500+ acres of it. Give us programmed parks in the middle of a giant urban center, Give us an urban center with absolutely no roads, only autonomous shuttles and a giant Uber/hyperloop Beehive in the center to travel in and out of it, Give us the reason to leave our car at home and be able to take a walk reasonably around all of it. Oh and Give us engaging nightclubs and a reason to stay up till past 1am on any day of the week...

lets discuss,

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Aug 2018 08:41

I doubt all of that. They will make the area 5G ready with AT&T and maybe some bike share around a suburban park trail they would likely integrate into the project. Probably some sculpture too.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 10 Aug 2018 09:34

Yeah I'm pretty skeptical that it will be anything that's too earth shattering. We shall see, but I'd think it will likely be much of the same of what's up there now.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 10 Aug 2018 10:48

And that 'engaging nightclubs' thing? Won't happen till Frisco quits having the no-more-drinking-and-clubs-after-midnight mentality every time there is an election. They keep giving 2 hours of potential revenue away every night to Plano and other cities. It's almost as bad as Arlington's anti-transit irritation, but oh well. But, surely, there's some good potential in some way or another, with 2500 acres to work with. Turning it all into a pretentious urban heat island won't do anyone any good.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Aug 2018 11:08

itsjrd1964 wrote:And that 'engaging nightclubs' thing? Won't happen till Frisco quits having the no-more-drinking-and-clubs-after-midnight mentality every time there is an election. They keep giving 2 hours of potential revenue away every night to Plano and other cities.

How does Concrete Cowboy get away with it?
Last edited by DPatel304 on 10 Aug 2018 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Aug 2018 11:08

itsjrd1964 wrote:And that 'engaging nightclubs' thing? Won't happen till Frisco quits having the no-more-drinking-and-clubs-after-midnight mentality every time there is an election.

Personally, I think alcohol serving businesses should be allowed to stay open 24-7-365 if they have customers and want to.... but the turn-in early sentimentality always seems to go hand-in-hand with the exurban edge and deep into the suburban body. Let it go as slow as it wants, whatever, it's not for me, but it surely is for the majority in Dallas' northern burbs.

Panther Creek basin should be designated a wilderness preserve before it is destroyed.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 10 Aug 2018 11:32

How does Concrete Cowboy get away with it?

I haven't gone drinking in Frisco in so long its embarrassing (that I'm old) but according to online most places stay open until 1-2:00am, so they either allow it or must be granting variances like they are candy.

DAFW

Postby DAFW » 10 Aug 2018 18:07

exelone31 wrote:Yeah I'm pretty skeptical that it will be anything that's too earth shattering. We shall see, but I'd think it will likely be much of the same of what's up there now.

perhaps. I wish they would try something new and out of the box though. It'd be a great place to try something different up there with all that space.