Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown Dallas: The Drever

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1325
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Aug 2018 12:03

Its early days on these food halls the good ideas will last most likely and the bad ones will fade and something else will eventually replace the business. Depending on the size we aren't talking about a bunch of Food Lion grocery store sized spaces here. Legacy Hall's Food Hall is the biggest but I imagine that one at that size will be going strong for years to come. Most of these other food halls concepts could easily be filled up and or replaced and or chopped up into smaller retail space if the business fails.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 622
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby lakewoodhobo » 20 Aug 2018 14:27

Marble removal has resumed. Off to China or wherever the rest of it is.

IMG_0314.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 110
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Warrior2015 » 21 Aug 2018 12:45

lakewoodhobo wrote:Marble removal has resumed. Off to China or wherever the rest of it is.

IMG_0314.JPG

I think it was Florida?

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 110
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Warrior2015 » 13 Sep 2018 13:21

A bit of an update about the drever. Saying it should be complete by fall 2019
https://dallas.towers.net/2018/09/13/th ... ce=twitter

User avatar
itsjrd1964
Posts: 167
Joined: 28 Jul 2018 07:38

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Sep 2018 13:51

Warrior2015 wrote:A bit of an update about the drever. Saying it should be complete by fall 2019
https://dallas.towers.net/2018/09/13/th ... ce=twitter


Wow, one year? For all of what's left? That might be a bit optimistic. Again, I'll know it when I see it, I guess.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1325
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Sep 2018 14:36

Keep in mind they can have an opening without finishing every aspect as well. Grand Opening probably won't happen till the end of 2020.

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 110
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Warrior2015 » 13 Sep 2018 16:56

itsjrd1964 wrote:
Warrior2015 wrote:A bit of an update about the drever. Saying it should be complete by fall 2019
https://dallas.towers.net/2018/09/13/th ... ce=twitter


Wow, one year? For all of what's left? That might be a bit optimistic. Again, I'll know it when I see it, I guess.

Well it makes sense, since construction halted for damn near 7-8 months or so. Smh

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1325
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Sep 2018 08:26

I am just curious for when the observation deck will open, which will be their last priority. They view from up there is terribly good.

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 110
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Warrior2015 » 14 Sep 2018 08:31

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I am just curious for when the observation deck will open. They view from up there is terribly good.

Hopefully next year. I honestly hope everything goes well with this building because this will be dallas first true completely mixed use project in one building . Also, will be a great place for visitors and residents to enjoy.

User avatar
trueicon
Posts: 45
Joined: 01 Jun 2017 20:12

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby trueicon » 14 Sep 2018 10:22

I haven't seen such a spectacular smoke and mirrors show since walking through a funhouse on the Jersey shore 10 years ago.

Those of us who live across the street and can easily peer through our windows know that there is zero work going on besides pumping out updates to social media pages. They've somehow managed to take a Kim Kardashian approach to property redevelopment. If you believe this project will be completed under Drever's guard, you will be disappointed. In fact I'll buy a round of drinks for everyone on this thread if I'm wrong and it opens next year like they promise. But I could just as easily promise to buy everyone a new iPhone XS Max -- it really won't matter.

Unless I missed something in the article, the only "news" is the discovery of new construction permits. However I found these permits over a month ago and posted about them on/r/DowntownDallas. So, this isn't a new development. Two months later, nothing has actually been done about those permits. Also, on the Downtown Residents Council page, someone in the know said that Thompson is saying their Drever hotel is "indefinitely on hold".

The other issue is, I believe, their city incentives expire if the project doesn't open by the end of 2019. I believe that was the third extension -- they originally had till the end of 2017, then 2018, now 2019. Now I'm sure they can ask for yet another extension, but they should face more resistance this time -- deservingly I might add.

The best thing that could happen is for Headington or some other developer to buy this project. But I'm certain if they (or any other party) were interested they would have done so by now.

User avatar
whit5125
Posts: 26
Joined: 14 Apr 2017 09:54

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby whit5125 » 14 Sep 2018 11:26

Why am I not surprised....and why does Dallas seem to attract such asshat developers compared to other other cities I wonder.

Anyway, I bet that is what Drever has been aiming for all along, to finish up the demo work on this, squeeze some bullshit money out of the city, and then flip it to a developer who doesnt have their heads up their asses now that the most expensive part of such a project is finished and it is a blank slate to build on.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1325
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Sep 2018 12:06

Again it's not so much asshatery it's the size and scale of a project like this. This is a giant 1980's skyscraper without a purpose and isnt as much of a looker as BofA tower. Turning it into one use, office, residential, or hotel makes no smart business sense at this point. The reason no Trammel Crow quality developer, which could get it done if they wanted to is because of its a bees nest of issues. TC has the know-how and the scale of professional intelligence but for some reason, they don't have the desire to retrofit a huge anchor of a dusty 1980's office tower. It's because it's very hard to take a building on this scale and flip it while generating a worthwhile profit. They would rather build shopping centers on 75 than tackle this dusty behemoth. This isn't a three-bedroom ranch in Irving. They can't just make it a full office building again so they have to update it and mix in multiple types of operations, residential management, commercial management, retail management etc. All that require lots of moving coordinated parts for which the building was not designed. Instead, we have a list of developers looking to flex a muscle they don't have and are trying to wrangle this giant project to prove they are on the same caliber as a Trammel Crow or Lincoln Property Group etc. Talk to Spire they also have similar desires to be seen as the big guys but so far they havent been able to do big projects and continue to sit on land waiting for their moment to shine.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 622
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby lakewoodhobo » 14 Sep 2018 13:17

^We might have to agree to disagree, but the hexagon-shaped First National Bank Tower (designed by George Dahl, completed in 1965) is way more architecturally significant than Bank of America Plaza. The podium alone feels like an alien spaceship from the 60s and those lights, assuming they come back as programmable, will put BofA to shame if/once the building reopens.

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 110
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Warrior2015 » 14 Sep 2018 13:31

trueicon wrote:I haven't seen such a spectacular smoke and mirrors show since walking through a funhouse on the Jersey shore 10 years ago.

Those of us who live across the street and can easily peer through our windows know that there is zero work going on besides pumping out updates to social media pages. They've somehow managed to take a Kim Kardashian approach to property redevelopment. If you believe this project will be completed under Drever's guard, you will be disappointed. In fact I'll buy a round of drinks for everyone on this thread if I'm wrong and it opens next year like they promise. But I could just as easily promise to buy everyone a new iPhone XS Max -- it really won't matter.

Unless I missed something in the article, the only "news" is the discovery of new construction permits. However I found these permits over a month ago and posted about them on/r/DowntownDallas. So, this isn't a new development. Two months later, nothing has actually been done about those permits. Also, on the Downtown Residents Council page, someone in the know said that Thompson is saying their Drever hotel is "indefinitely on hold".

The other issue is, I believe, their city incentives expire if the project doesn't open by the end of 2019. I believe that was the third extension -- they originally had till the end of 2017, then 2018, now 2019. Now I'm sure they can ask for yet another extension, but they should face more resistance this time -- deservingly I might add.

The best thing that could happen is for Headington or some other developer to buy this project. But I'm certain if they (or any other party) were interested they would have done so by now.

So construction has stopped again?

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1325
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Sep 2018 13:58

lakewoodhobo wrote:^We might have to agree to disagree, but the hexagon-shaped First National Bank Tower (designed by George Dahl, completed in 1965) is way more architecturally significant than Bank of America Plaza. The podium alone feels like an alien spaceship from the 60s and those lights, assuming they come back as programmable, will put BofA to shame if/once the building reopens.



No we agree I assure you I am a fan of its architecture but BofA has a look that appears more up to date with its blue glass facade compared to the dark dated exterior of the Drever. For some companies, they want to appear to be in a more updated building. 1401 Elm is an architectural trophy of its time but on a marketing brochure for those who could care less about architectural treasures they want a building that appears to be timelessly in the now. BofA tower does a better job of that and its a landmark building in pictures of the well known Dallas skyline compared with a dark building in the middle center of the skyline that fades into others.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1000
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Sep 2018 14:23

Warrior2015 wrote:
trueicon wrote:I haven't seen such a spectacular smoke and mirrors show since walking through a funhouse on the Jersey shore 10 years ago.

Those of us who live across the street and can easily peer through our windows know that there is zero work going on besides pumping out updates to social media pages. They've somehow managed to take a Kim Kardashian approach to property redevelopment. If you believe this project will be completed under Drever's guard, you will be disappointed. In fact I'll buy a round of drinks for everyone on this thread if I'm wrong and it opens next year like they promise. But I could just as easily promise to buy everyone a new iPhone XS Max -- it really won't matter.

Unless I missed something in the article, the only "news" is the discovery of new construction permits. However I found these permits over a month ago and posted about them on/r/DowntownDallas. So, this isn't a new development. Two months later, nothing has actually been done about those permits. Also, on the Downtown Residents Council page, someone in the know said that Thompson is saying their Drever hotel is "indefinitely on hold".

The other issue is, I believe, their city incentives expire if the project doesn't open by the end of 2019. I believe that was the third extension -- they originally had till the end of 2017, then 2018, now 2019. Now I'm sure they can ask for yet another extension, but they should face more resistance this time -- deservingly I might add.

The best thing that could happen is for Headington or some other developer to buy this project. But I'm certain if they (or any other party) were interested they would have done so by now.

So construction has stopped again?

From today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tivo_Kenevil on 14 Sep 2018 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Tnexster
Posts: 1498
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Tnexster » 14 Sep 2018 14:25

What is that?

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 110
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Warrior2015 » 14 Sep 2018 14:29

Tnexster wrote:What is that?

I'm assuming he's saying construction is happening and hasn't stopped

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 661
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Cypress Waters

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby muncien » 14 Sep 2018 14:51

I'm waiting for them to say that the marble is 'structurally deficient' or something like that, and that it cannot be put back on. There is nothing in particular that leads me to this conclusion, yet I feel like it is a real possibility. What will we do then? Perhaps I'm just being paranoid!
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster
Posts: 1498
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Tnexster » 14 Sep 2018 15:37

I walked in the area today and saw obvious activity going on. Cherry picker or something had somebody doing something. Or maybe it was a small crane, not sure now.

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 222
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby dallaz » 14 Sep 2018 18:07

lakewoodhobo wrote:^We might have to agree to disagree, but the hexagon-shaped First National Bank Tower (designed by George Dahl, completed in 1965) is way more architecturally significant than Bank of America Plaza. The podium alone feels like an alien spaceship from the 60s and those lights, assuming they come back as programmable, will put BofA to shame if/once the building reopens.

If they turned the lights back on, do you think it would be at the same intensity? I came across a news open of NEWS 8 (WFAA) in the 80s, the building’s lights were shockingly bright. I remember them being bright as a kid, but it just reminded me of how intense they were. It would probably be hell to live close to that building at night.

Skip to 0:04

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-LG1B_iebyw

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 110
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Warrior2015 » 14 Sep 2018 18:54

dallaz wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:^We might have to agree to disagree, but the hexagon-shaped First National Bank Tower (designed by George Dahl, completed in 1965) is way more architecturally significant than Bank of America Plaza. The podium alone feels like an alien spaceship from the 60s and those lights, assuming they come back as programmable, will put BofA to shame if/once the building reopens.

If they turned the lights back on, do you think it would be at the same intensity? I came across a news open of NEWS 8 (WFAA) in the 80s, the building’s lights were shockingly bright. I remember them being bright as a kid, but it just reminded me of how intense they were. It would probably be hell to live close to that building at night.

Skip to 0:04

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-LG1B_iebyw

Damn that's bright!!

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 622
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby lakewoodhobo » 14 Sep 2018 19:11

dallaz wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:^We might have to agree to disagree, but the hexagon-shaped First National Bank Tower (designed by George Dahl, completed in 1965) is way more architecturally significant than Bank of America Plaza. The podium alone feels like an alien spaceship from the 60s and those lights, assuming they come back as programmable, will put BofA to shame if/once the building reopens.

If they turned the lights back on, do you think it would be at the same intensity? I came across a news open of NEWS 8 (WFAA) in the 80s, the building’s lights were shockingly bright. I remember them being bright as a kid, but it just reminded me of how intense they were. It would probably be hell to live close to that building at night.

Skip to 0:04

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-LG1B_iebyw


Nice find! Yeah there's no way they would be that bright today.

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 222
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby dallaz » 14 Sep 2018 20:19

lakewoodhobo wrote:
dallaz wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:^We might have to agree to disagree, but the hexagon-shaped First National Bank Tower (designed by George Dahl, completed in 1965) is way more architecturally significant than Bank of America Plaza. The podium alone feels like an alien spaceship from the 60s and those lights, assuming they come back as programmable, will put BofA to shame if/once the building reopens.

If they turned the lights back on, do you think it would be at the same intensity? I came across a news open of NEWS 8 (WFAA) in the 80s, the building’s lights were shockingly bright. I remember them being bright as a kid, but it just reminded me of how intense they were. It would probably be hell to live close to that building at night.

Skip to 0:04

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-LG1B_iebyw


Nice find! Yeah there's no way they would be that bright today.

I think the intensity of the LEDs on The Omni would be just fine.

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 336
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby eburress » 14 Sep 2018 22:59

On a side note, dang, Dale Hanson looks YOUNG! I forgot what he used to look like. hahaha

User avatar
joshua.dodd
Posts: 328
Joined: 23 Oct 2016 01:11

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby joshua.dodd » 16 Sep 2018 08:37

The Southland Life building used to be even brighter.

Tnexster
Posts: 1498
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Tnexster » 16 Sep 2018 12:00

When nobody lived downtown nobody probably cared how bright anything was since you could go bowling on almost any street after 5:00.

User avatar
trueicon
Posts: 45
Joined: 01 Jun 2017 20:12

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby trueicon » 15 Oct 2018 13:19

DMN buried the lead, but Drever officially asked the city for (at least) a third extension to 2020. Not a big surprise that they won't be able to open at the end of 2019 when they aren't actually doing any construction inside the building.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... w-investor

See everyone next year -- same time, same thread -- when I post that they asked the city for the fourth extension to 2021!

The Drever -- the finest in Construction Theater since 2016
Last edited by trueicon on 15 Oct 2018 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
trueicon
Posts: 45
Joined: 01 Jun 2017 20:12

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby trueicon » 15 Oct 2018 13:36

Posting some more info that wasn't covered in the DMN article. You can read the memo to the council from the office of economic development here:

https://dallascityhall.com/government/C ... 101518.pdf

What jumps out to me is that the one-year extension is a requirement from the lenders and investors. A 430 million dollar loan is scheduled to close October 25. The full council is scheduled to vote on the extension October 24. I'm sure that October 25 closing date is no coincidence. I'd be completely fine if the council did NOT vote for this latest extension, and I plan to write the council. It's a shame to say that, but this developer hasn't shown any reason to believe their word. They haven't been honest about their struggles, insisting all along this year that they would get the project completed on time. If Drever isn't given the extension, it almost certainly forces another sale of the building to a different developer.

User avatar
Cbdallas
Posts: 194
Joined: 29 Nov 2016 16:42

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Cbdallas » 15 Oct 2018 15:41

They could at least run a Haunted House in the building to generate some cash for October.

User avatar
trueicon
Posts: 45
Joined: 01 Jun 2017 20:12

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby trueicon » 15 Oct 2018 16:33

Cbdallas wrote:They could at least run a Haunted House in the building to generate some cash for October.

Hah you know, that's not a half bad idea!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Login