Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Grocery Stores: news/development

trueicon

Re: Grocery Stores: news/development

Postby trueicon » 13 Jun 2018 10:55

^ I stand corrected. Yes, Kroger sold off their convenience stores, including their Tom Thumb stores, a few months ago.

I'm betting we can expect a slightly smaller version of this Albertsons Express prototype:

http://www.supermarketnews.com/news/alb ... re-concept

It appears that convenience stores are a new test for Albertsons/Safeway. Looks like they are experimenting with different sizes and amenities. For example, the first prototype that opened in Boise Idaho in Dec. 2017 had a drive thru, and was a little bit larger. I would love for this to succeed and others open in the CBD. I don't see this as much of a smaller "Tom Thumb" as much as I see this a direct competitor to QwikTrip. In the northeast and Florida, there is a convenience store called Wawa that serves as the model for super-sized convenience stores. It would be very cool if they included a made-to-order sandwich station like Wawa has.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Jun 2018 12:30

Just for the sake of the concept itself, maybe not this location, hope that they do have enough grocery elements. I have been to multiple QT's and yes they have more options than a 7Eleven sometimes but I would like to see a serious moderate-sized grocery concept. This one is across the street from a full size so it will be basically just a convenience store but I can still see value in the smaller corner grocery. I personally 95% of the time shop on the outside edges of a grocery store so I know the mix matters cause you obviously are not going to carry a huge variety of items.

I do like Trader Joes and Aldi for their size even though they don't have everything I need. Maybe some sort of the food delivery element is what is missing. Order tougher stuff online and pick up groceries at once. You keep the most popular stuff immediately in stock much how Amazon keeps certain goods in stock for Prime Now deliveries. I know Walmart has stores around the size of Aldi in other smaller towns that aren't suitable for a supercenter but I have not seen them bother with inner-city stores. Neighborhood Markets seem to not be working for them either as well as they hoped. It seems like a model whereas you are pumping your car with gas while they are loading up your SUV with your grocery order could work.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 14 Jun 2018 12:27

Walmart plans a Lower Greenville return, but with a store you wouldn't expect
Maria Halkias, Retail Writer

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... dnt-expect

Walmart is focused on Lower Greenville once again with a new concept from its Sam's Club division it hasn't even named yet.
The store will open this fall in the 32,000-square-foot building on the southeast corner of Greenville between Belmont and Richmond avenues that had housed a Walmart Neighborhood Market for a short time.
Walmart will not return with the plain vanilla grocery store concept it closed in January 2016.

Think technology-driven shopping and fresh foods under the Sam's Club banner, but much smaller. (A regular Sam's Club ranges from around 100,000 to 150,000 square feet.)

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Jun 2018 13:08

Still a horrible use of the land, but it seems the only other alternative is to let the building sit empty until the lease runs out, correct?

If our only other option is an empty building, then I'll take this. At least they are trying something new here, and this part of town could use more grocery stores. Plus this news makes it seem like the Sam's club on the old Xerox site has a 0% chance of happening (we pretty much already knew that already, but this re-enforces that idea even more).

My only concern is I hope this doesn't hurt Trader Joe's too much.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 14 Jun 2018 13:11

NdoorTX wrote:Walmart plans a Lower Greenville return, but with a store you wouldn't expect
Maria Halkias, Retail Writer

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... dnt-expect

Walmart is focused on Lower Greenville once again with a new concept from its Sam's Club division it hasn't even named yet.
The store will open this fall in the 32,000-square-foot building on the southeast corner of Greenville between Belmont and Richmond avenues that had housed a Walmart Neighborhood Market for a short time.
Walmart will not return with the plain vanilla grocery store concept it closed in January 2016.

Think technology-driven shopping and fresh foods under the Sam's Club banner, but much smaller. (A regular Sam's Club ranges from around 100,000 to 150,000 square feet.)

I will reserve final judgement until I see this "concept" they have planned, but I almost feel like this could be worse than having the Neighborhood Market and like Walmart/Sam's is punishing urban Dallas for killing the Cityplace Sam's Club.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Jun 2018 13:29

That's an interesting point. Well, if this grocery store isn't worth it, I'm sure the market will ensure it doesn't do well (as they have in the past).

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 14 Jun 2018 13:46

I almost feel like this could be worse than having the Neighborhood Market and like Walmart/Sam's is punishing urban Dallas for killing the Cityplace Sam's Club.

I don't get that feeling - I think it will more be a 'order online and pick up in-store' for Sams Club bulk stuff- which is really an excellent use of the existing space. Plus electronics, and as far as I can tell, BestBuy's closest store is barely inside 635. I'd call it an 'urban model' big box store.

Of course this is all just speculation and I have no idea if such a concept is even needed.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Jun 2018 15:34

Lower Greenville and this thread are talking about the same thing.