Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Margaret McDermott Bridge by Santiago Calatrava

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Margaret McDermott Bridge by Santiago Calatrava

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Jul 2018 14:03

This is what happens when you cut corners and go after "value engineering".

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Jul 2018 14:09

Huitt-Zollars, the supervising engineering firm, told the city in a letter dated May 25 that there are two possible fixes — or "cable system retrofit alternatives," according to Broadnax — that might resolve the vibration issues. One, the firm said, involves replacing rods and sockets connecting the arches to the bridge.

The other involves replacing the entire cable assembly — and, essentially, starting over.

I didn't really pay much attention to this issue at first, but, now that I've read the article, this is worse than I thought...

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jul 2018 17:16

It is worse than most people thought and it deserves much more attention, a little embarrassing news coverage can do wonders for fixing problems.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 04 Jul 2018 11:32

I swear the City of Dallas is so incompetent at times. Who skips a cable stress test to save money? I really can’t understand the thought process behind that. Now, the City has to pay millions just to fix an issue that could have been done right the first time.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Jul 2018 11:42

Even if they would not stick in a courtroom, I'd like to see charges brought against the people or person making the decisions that lead to a worthless bridge.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Jul 2018 09:55

Probably the same people who made budgetary savings on the Water Rapids down in the Trinity. Supposedly that was a city staff design change as well. The original design drawn up for the water rapids was much prettier and safer in design but arguments between the engineering firm and the city on cost turned it into the boondoggle they are having to tear out now. Cost savings measures were implemented severely.

I get the feeling though its not the staff member who is making the decision its someone else higher up who keeps pressuring to save money to the extreme no matter what the product result is. City staff members operate based on political direction from higher-ups dealing with council members, community leaders, and money talks groups outside the official channels. It seems like someone higher up is so worried about cost overruns they may be forcing changes that are costing the city tons of stress and more money.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Jul 2018 14:00

McDermott Bridge May Have to Be Demolished Like Fake Kayak Rapids
http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/some ... d-10880572

Here's another article on the subject (I haven't had a chance to read this one just yet). I really wonder how all of this will play out, because this is quite a disaster at the moment.

Personally, I only care about the hike/bike trail. Creating a loop in the Trinity River area might be a popular draw for runners/bikers, so that is my number one priority. I hope that all potential outcomes would involve, at the very least, keeping the pedestrian walkway.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Jul 2018 18:08

Dallas cheaped out and now has to spend millions more repairing Calatrava's second bridge
Huitt-Zollars' vice president Charles Quade told the city that depending on the fix, repairs should take between eight and 15 months. And it could cost — again, an estimate here, because the contractor hasn't been consulted — between $2 million and $6 million.

"We must keep in mind that doing nothing is always an option," Lee Kleinman, chair of the council's Mobility Solutions, Infrastructure & Sustainability Committee, told me Thursday. He wants city staff to come to his committee next month and explain what the hell's going on.

"Why spend any more money on it," Kleinman said, "when there are so many more needs in the city?"

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... ond-bridge

I hate that 'leave it as is' is an option here, I really hope they are not seriously considering this. I get there are so many more needs in the city, but, if that's the case, why build the bridge in the first place? Frustrating.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Jul 2018 18:46

The city of Dallas at its finest.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Jul 2018 22:12

kleinman is just being an ass; as always.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 24 Jul 2018 08:30

The incredible part of it all is that WE allow it to continue. WE meaning you reading this. Time to put a stop to it. Dallas can't afford more of this.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 24 Jul 2018 08:40

casperitl wrote:The incredible part of it all is that WE allow it to continue. WE meaning you reading this. Time to put a stop to it. Dallas can't afford more of this.

What are the avenues to put a stop to this? What is your suggested outcome?

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 24 Jul 2018 11:00

exelone31 wrote:
casperitl wrote:The incredible part of it all is that WE allow it to continue. WE meaning you reading this. Time to put a stop to it. Dallas can't afford more of this.

What are the avenues to put a stop to this? What is your suggested outcome?

Those responsible for prior mistakes can never be allowed to work on future projects. The same handful of people are at the root cause of every blunder involving bridges, whitewater features, tree cutting, borrow pit excavation and desecration of cemeteries. The same people. It is too expensive for the taxpayer to allow them to continue.