Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

LongonBigD

Re: Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Postby LongonBigD » 03 Jul 2018 22:47

BoConcept failed before. I remember when it was on Alpha near the Galleria. Not sure what the issue is there. I think the McKinney Ave shoppers don’t yet have a compelling attraction strong enough to bring them south of Armstrong. It just a matter of time though.

I have heard that the property at SW corner of McKinney & Armstrong may be turning over. We know Knox Street Pub is closing. Now word is that Kozy is moving to Lakewood (lucky them). That leaves the Salon and Enterprise Car Rental. Doesn’t sound good for them.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Jul 2018 23:32

Is Restoration Hardware temporarily taking over the spaces being built out next to the RH Modern temp store or is something else going in there?

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 03 Jul 2018 23:51

yep, RH Baby & Child + Teen

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 30 Jul 2018 12:42

The restaurant and bar is still open, but crews will be doing a renovation to move the parking lot, expand the kitchen and add a new private dining area. Managing Partner Buddy Cramer calls it a "beautification."

City of Dallas records confirm that the bar's new certificate of occupancy includes nearly 96 parking spots, double the number from before.

On that former parking lot, crews will expand the kitchen and add more bathrooms. Cramer says they'll also space out the existing outdoor patio seating.

https://www.guidelive.com/food-and-drin ... enovations

We learned a few months ago that they had bought some land (in between the Ice House and the former Company Cafe), and now we have more details on what exactly they are doing. I can't say I'm too surprised, but I'm extremely disappointed here. I think there is so much potential here, and there is an insane amount of walking traffic here, so it's such a shame that they decided to expand the parking lot.

On the plus side, it sounds like they are 'beautifying' the area, so maybe it might not look as bad as I am imagining, but I really feel like they could have used the extra space to add some space for a couple food trucks, maybe a separate bar around that is more family oriented that provides space for kids to play but also has a bar for the adults.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 01 Aug 2018 23:47

The Velvet Taco which took over the Urban Taco building has hung a banner that they are opening Monday, August 6.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Aug 2018 08:23

Also, I want to point out the lack of having a parking lot during construction appears to not have affected their success. Every time I pass by during normal happy hour the patio is full to the brim with food, drinks, and dogs. A lot of people do use the trail access to get to the Katy Trail Ice House even if they park at another part of the trail and walk down to it.

The trail is for more than a jog its a transportation system that works for encouraging commerce as well as recreation.

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » 02 Aug 2018 13:24

They should focus on expanding their square footage, not the parking lot. It's the building/patio size that caps the amount of business they can do, not the number of parking spaces.

Though if they create a private dining area, then maybe their thought is that those patrons are much more likely to drive than their average customer.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Aug 2018 09:08

It sounds like they expect to snag more and more private parties for sure. If you have ever looked at the smaller patio they had backing up to the parking lot they constantly had that marked off for private events. They are also supposedly improving the Trail connection so we will see if trail users will have to jog through a valet turnaround or not. When the city let go of the street property that ends at the trail for this project it had no public renderings posted so I was unsure if it will truly be an improvement.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 11 Aug 2018 20:38

Looks like Social House in Uptown on Routh is permanently closed

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 17 Aug 2018 12:35

PL8 has closed.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 17 Aug 2018 12:40

Social house is surprising. PL8 isn't surprising, although only lasting 6 months is a little bit.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 17 Aug 2018 16:57

PL8 wasn't the right fit for right there.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Aug 2018 17:58

Did PL8 even make it 6 months? Trying to see if this or Little Woodrow's or Agave Azul takes the crown for shortest lifetime.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 18 Aug 2018 17:19

lakewoodhobo wrote:Did PL8 even make it 6 months? Trying to see if this or Little Woodrow's or Agave Azul takes the crown for shortest lifetime.

I think Hot Joy takes the crown. 3 months. For good reason. And that stupid, racist mural still adorns the building.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 20 Aug 2018 09:05

^^^ Speaking of Hot Joy, has anyone found out what the zoning change request for this site involved? The case number is Z178-223 (some prankster moved the sign to West Village by Massage Envy).