Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown Dallas: Thanks-Giving Square

Tnexster

Re: Downtown Dallas: Thanks-Giving Square

Postby Tnexster » 17 May 2018 18:44

dfwcre8tive wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Does anybody know if they have any plans to clean up the water in the fountains so it doesn't look brown?

Thanks-Giving Square just received a matching grant for landscape improvements, which I believe will help repair all the fountains. Are you talking about the large cascade and grove water wall (which have been repaired), or the stagnant/empty pools that have yet to be fixed?

The large cascading fountain near the chapel, thats the one that I think looks so dirty, even the water coming out of of the pool on the top looks dirty. Maybe there is nothing they can do about it but it would look so much better if the water were just clean.

xen0blue

Postby xen0blue » 17 May 2018 20:09

They need to level this park and remove the walls if anyone is going to visit. It's horrible the way it is.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 May 2018 08:38

xen0blue wrote:They need to level this park and remove the walls if anyone is going to visit. It's horrible the way it is.

It will be carefully modified so as not to ruin its architectural significance and its ultimate purpose which is to provide space for reflection and event space for the Thanksgiving Foundation. It is not a city park and I am fine with it not being one. Is it a public space yep but a city park no.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 09 Sep 2018 15:32

I always try to be optimistic about this space, but it just seems like it's falling apart. I worry about all the parks being built/planned for Dallas if they're not going to be managed correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Sep 2018 10:14

This is a private park in many ways and they are in the middle of trying to get all their new dots in a row for a redo. It has some unique challenges and deep history that can slow down progress immensely.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 11 Sep 2018 20:27

mdg109 wrote:I always try to be optimistic about this space, but it just seems like it's falling apart. I worry about all the parks being built/planned for Dallas if they're not going to be managed correctly.

That end of the Square is going through a revamp. All of the landscaping at the tip of the triangle has been removed and the sign pedestals are being relocated; a neighborhood beautification grant from DDI will help clean it up. Eventually this area will be re-envisioned since it's outside of the "historic" portion of the Square. It could end up being a glass box cafe, visitor center, etc.

A few other summer updates:

- The dog relief area was removed and gravel replaced with new sod.
- New landscaping groundcover was planted on slopes to mitigate soil runoff.
- Dogs will be prohibited from entering the garden starting in October.
- Entry gates are now closed after hours to help with security.
- The chiller system broke in May so the inside has been without air conditioning all summer. There's an appeal to raise $151,000 required for the replacement machinery which will be installed in October. Please donate if you feel inclined. This unexpected expense has put a strain on the Foundation's lean operating budget.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 12 Sep 2018 12:21

Thanks for the update. I went back this week to check out the park portion of the square, and it was pretty nice and clean.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Sep 2018 14:24

It will take a long time to catch up on the maintenance of the square. They have had to stop the bleeding firsts before being able to do serious surgery to the preexisting design.

DFWcre8tive we look forward to continuing updates on the stuff we can not see as well as the things we can.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 23 Sep 2018 13:01

No more dogs after October 15th, which will help restore some of the garden.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 4009642963

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 23 Sep 2018 17:20

dfwcre8tive wrote:No more dogs after October 15th, which will help restore some of the garden.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 4009642963

Oh boy, there'll be a few folks at the LTV that will have to put their good walking shoes on, then. Not sure where they and their furry friends will go.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 23 Sep 2018 19:36

dfwcre8tive wrote:No more dogs after October 15th, which will help restore some of the garden.

Uh-huh. And who exactly is going to enforce this? We’re talking about those who already ignore rules and common courtesy of picking up after so what’s another little sign gonna do?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Sep 2018 19:50

$25 fine for every infraction.

LTV is a big complex, they should provide a dog park.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 23 Sep 2018 23:29

tamtagon wrote:LTV is a big complex, they should provide a dog park.

I think the only "outdoor" part of the building is up on the roof where the pool is; I don't think they have a doggie area up there. Should be interesting, though, what they'll do. There are quite a few furry friends in the building, so I've heard. Hopefully Thanks-Giving will have more green grass (and less poop) to give thanks over in the future.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Sep 2018 08:46

Last I checked LTV had two outdoor areas. Poolside on Elm and Pacific side was artificial turf, good side for a dog area.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 Sep 2018 10:09

I always assumed that the turf they added to the Pacific side was a dog park, but I guess it's not. It doesn't seem to have a fence or anything around it, but no reason why they can't put one in.

IMG_1440.jpg

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Last I checked LTV had two outdoor areas. Poolside on Elm and Pacific side was artificial turf, good side for a dog area.

Three outdoor areas if you count the rooftop pool and deck for residents. The pool on the Elm side is for hotel guests.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 24 Sep 2018 15:44

The green area on the Pacific side is only accessible through the hotel meeting room areas. It was bare concrete when the hotel opened a few years ago. It took a little bit for them to hire equipment to get the turf up there to roll it out and get it into place. I don't know if the hotel allows any outdoor receptions there or if it's solely an aesthetic thing so people attending meetings don't look out the window and see parched concrete. As for the hotel pool area, there is a doorway from an interior common area which is the access to the pool there. The locks are set to secure after 10pm so no one is allowed out there (young whippersnappers messed it up for everyone else I guess) overnight.