Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Red Bird Mall

lakewoodhobo

Red Bird Mall

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Jan 2017 16:11

Haven't heard a peep about this redevelopment since last summer, but here's a big, and somewhat expected, setback:

Macy's to close Collin Creek in Plano and Southwest Center in Dallas
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... sings-soon

Southwest Center Mall owner Peter Brodsky declined to comment on Macy's closing. He said he plans to update area residents on redevelopment plans at a meeting he and Mayor Mike Rawlings are sponsoring Saturday at the mall.

Tnexster

Re: Southwest Center Mall

Postby Tnexster » 04 Jan 2017 22:27

Old world retail continues to slide.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 05 Jan 2017 20:55

Amazon is eating them all alive.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 Jan 2017 10:22

Looks like Sears has spared the Southwest Center mall location for now but for how long. I went in there about a decade ago for a water filter and even then it was a ghost town.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-sells ... 1483623215

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Jan 2017 12:19

The return of Red Bird: Name is one of many changes planned for lone southern Dallas mall

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... -name-back

Southwest Center Mall is losing its Macy's soon, but the owner of the long-troubled shopping center on Saturday revealed redevelopment plans in the works, including a Marriott Courtyard, tech incubator, new office and green space and upscale apartments.

And when major changes start to happen, Southwest Center Mall will take back an identity it had in 1975 when it opened as Red Bird, the only mall in the southern half of Dallas.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 09 Jan 2017 00:54

Glad they plan to keep the exterior of the Macy's with the mosaic! With a new park in front it will make a great entrance. I expect good work from Omniplan.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jan 2017 10:06

Does this look like the mosaic they are tearing down at Valley View?

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 10 Jan 2017 10:24

Pretty much, though they are custom. There is also one at Collin Creek Mall. These are one of those things I don't really get beyond nostalgia - they scream cheap lazy tiling pattern that looks vaguely Native American (or perhaps an 8-bit video game baddie) with no context to the rest of the building's decoration or design.

And by 'lazy and cheap', I mean cheaper than windows to take advantage of a covered 2 story facade. From that angle it looks like the front door is a shirtless Homer Simpson's belt buckle. Keeps getting worse....

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Jan 2017 12:37

How to use Red Bird Mall blueprint to bridge Dallas' north-south gap

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/edito ... -south-gap

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 11 Jan 2017 20:55

The_Overdog wrote:

Pretty much, though they are custom. There is also one at Collin Creek Mall. These are one of those things I don't really get beyond nostalgia - they scream cheap lazy tiling pattern that looks vaguely Native American (or perhaps an 8-bit video game baddie) with no context to the rest of the building's decoration or design.

And by 'lazy and cheap', I mean cheaper than windows to take advantage of a covered 2 story facade. From that angle it looks like the front door is a shirtless Homer Simpson's belt buckle. Keeps getting worse....

Well, it was a simplified version of the downtown store. The downtown store was the one that had the expensive glass tiles, and it was the first one to lose its mural via DART.

After Sanger-Harris completed its flagship store in 1965, the chain turned to Harold A. Berry and Associates to express the company’s vision within the rapidly growing suburban mall culture. Stubel worked on the first of three Sanger-Harris rollouts in the region, at Six Flags Mall in Arlington. Designed in partnership with RYA, that store took on the Greek-influenced colonnade characteristic of the flagship location. But the mural presented a problem. Using the same Italian glass tiles and pattern language as the downtown store proved too costly, so the architects cut it from the store’s designs. But Sanger-Harris pushed back. So, to cut costs, they imported mosaic tile from Mexico and asked the youngest kid in the office to design the pattern. That was Stubel.

She took inspiration from the Spanish-influenced design of Six Flags Mall. “The pattern focused on blocks of color in broad strokes,” she says. “We were dealing with freeway recognition, and colors would catch the eye as well as define the entry. Indian and Mexican cultural influences were part of the language. Music would play a role in defining the rhythm of the pattern.”

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d ... view-mall/

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 12 Jan 2017 09:45

She took inspiration from the Spanish-influenced design of Six Flags Mall.

She should have gotten a job designing houses. Spanish inspired designs on a Greek-influenced colonade would have made her an innovator. She could have invented the first mcmansion.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Jan 2017 11:12

It may be another generation before mainstream retail store evolution can restock the climate control shopping malls in the middle of the retail segment.

Maybe the redevelopment of Red Bird Mall can come a little closer to the initial concept of an enclosed mall with education, government services and residential forming as anchor tenants around which a wide variety of retail stores gather.

DCCCD takes over one of the department stores, USPS takes a large suite, etm

Tnexster

Re: Red Bird Mall

Postby Tnexster » 23 May 2017 16:47

Starbucks joining effort to help revitalize Red Bird Mall

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... -bird-mall

Starbucks has selected Dallas' Red Bird Mall (formerly Southwest Center Mall) for one of 15 stores it's opening in low- to medium-income neighborhoods across the U.S.

It's a project that's part of what the Seattle-based coffee giant has called its social impact investments. While the stores are part of efforts to rejuvenate business districts, the locations still have to be profitable, the company said. And city officials stressed that the business has to be successful.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 May 2017 17:09

Honestly efforts to revitalize malls should be one of the last things we should be doing. They're dying.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 May 2017 17:30

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Honestly efforts to revitalize malls should be one of the last things we should be doing. They're dying.

It's a part of the larger effort to tear down the old mall and rebuild more of an urban infill project I see no reason this project shouldn't move forward.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 May 2017 18:21

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Honestly efforts to revitalize malls should be one of the last things we should be doing. They're dying.

It's a part of the larger effort to tear down the old mall and rebuild more of an urban infill project I see no reason this project shouldn't move forward.

Gotcha. Wasn't aware.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 May 2017 18:25

Tnexster wrote:Starbucks joining effort to help revitalize Red Bird Mall
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... -bird-mall

Great news! When I first read about their Ferguson store and this initiative by Starbucks, I actually wrote to someone at the company asking them to consider Oak Cliff. I'm happy they finally did, but was hoping for something along I-35 near the zoo or maybe Wynnewood. We'll see how this does.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 Jul 2017 22:21

What's keeping $30 million in private money from making southern Dallas better?

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/eco ... ern-dallas

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Jul 2017 12:38

Tnexster wrote:What's keeping $30 million in private money from making southern Dallas better?

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/eco ... ern-dallas

Per the article, "The problem now is that the fund’s managers are struggling to find qualified projects to invest in," I'm just not sure what the qualifications are. I can think of several investable projects for this fund that are much safer bets than Red Bird Mall:

-Redevelopment of Wynnewood Village into a combination of townhomes, green space and neighborhood retail
-New apartments facing the future Oak Cliff Deck Park
-Elmwood commercial district on Edgefield near Illinois Ave

The only difference between these projects and Red Bird is that they don't have a well-connected backer like Peter Brodsky.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Mar 2018 08:49

I know the initial theme seemed to be about Valley View but they did post some renderings I have not yet seen before of the planned reuse of some of RedBird Malls existing department store buildings.

1522157120-RedBird1.jpg
1522157032-RedBird3.jpg
1522157018-RedBird2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Mar 2018 09:22

^You can see from the second rendering that they intend on keeping one of the two existing Sanger-Harris murals. Not sure if the one that's being removed is the large one or the small one there currently.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 May 2018 22:22

Dallas seniors to get a $1.4M health and wellness center in Red Bird area

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/souther ... -bird-area