Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

DALLAS to HOUSTON High Speed Rail

cowboyeagle05

Re: DALLAS to HOUSTON High Speed Rail

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Sep 2018 14:56

Iconic in this case could just be that we actually get a bullet train.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 13 Sep 2018 06:05

muncien wrote:
tamtagon wrote:...just for fun:

There's your connection to Fort Worth! Amtrak & TRE, no problem.

Almost makes you question the need for Amtrak to even stop at Union Station anymore... :?:

The HSR should very clearly replace Union Station.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Sep 2018 08:32

I believe the addiction to the freeway and the personal car already did replace Union Station...

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Sep 2018 08:49

I wonder how the partner discussions/negotiations played out between Texas Central and Hunt Inc and Matthews Southwest. Hunt had the prime rail connectivity of Union Station and plenty of developable land, Matthews had more land and a cleaner slate for development.

If/when HSR is confirmed and a station construction schedule starts webbing into the surrounding area, we'll begin to see exactly what roll Union Station will play. The Convention Center will have to sponsor/participate in a major TOD mixed use renovation reconfiguring the 'backside' into a frontside and moving the light rail station.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

whit5125

Postby whit5125 » 13 Sep 2018 09:11

Ugh dont even joke about any expansion of that ugly and money sucking behemoth of a convention center that has killed about a quarter of downtown. The original portions of that thing next to city Hall absolutely should be torn down and developed into something else.

It just kills the potential of that area and if even part of it could be torn down (the parts that are not needed and really even used), plus the HSR station and the addition of a possible deck park, the ugly unused parking lots surrounding it would make an absolute killer area to develop.

God if the Deck park, HSR and the Smart District were to happen the undeveloped land around the convention center plus the under developed areas of the Cedars would absolutely explode over night.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Sep 2018 09:33

It is a be behemoth; calculating it's ROI is dubious; and late 20th Century hubris flattened virtually all adjacent neighborhood, no doubt. But, The CC allows bigger and biggest hotels to exist. Large scale programs and facilities municipally operated or managed or overseen (like Conv Ctr and Fair Park) do not have the flexibility and nimbleness necessary to truly thrive, and there's politics that muck-up clear sightedness as well. Old Century Legacy management of the convention center can and should be replaced.

The train to Houston will pair with the Convention Center to allow a much more fertile hotel setting than either as a stand alone (ish) would, and the opportunity to develop touristy retail and nightlife venue clusters is even more promising.

Throw in another major tourist experience like the world's biggest Observation Ferris Wheel, and the whole deal spins upward.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Sep 2018 10:54

Slightly off topic. But what happened to CityMAP?

That plan of rerouting i-30 would be tremendous for the city of Dallas. Particularly for this area.

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Sep 2018 08:54

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Slightly off topic. But what happened to CityMAP?

That plan of rerouting i-30 would be tremendous for the city of Dallas. Particularly for this area.

I'd take the trench/deckpark over the reroute any day. I really hate how much nature that reroute plan would gobble up. It would be quite depressing...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Sep 2018 12:26

Texas Central secures loan of up to $300 million for Bullet Train

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... llion.html

The Texas Bullet Train has inched closer to the goal of becoming a reality with the securing of a loan of up to $300 million.

Texas Central, the company implementing the high-speed train between Houston and North Texas, announced Thursday that it has secured the loan from the Japan Overseas Infrastructure Investment Corp. for Transport & Urban Development, or JOIN, and the Japan Bank for International Cooperation.

Texas Central will use the funds to move ahead on permitting, design and engineering, as well as other preliminary work needed to launch construction during 2019.

The interest-bearing loan along with the equity provided to date – mostly coming from Texas entrepreneurs – will provide enough funding for all activities required for the project to reach financial close, Texas Central said in a news release.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Sep 2018 21:08

Rival of Texas bullet-train company blasts Japanese investment, says high-speed rail's private funding plan is 'just a dream'

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transpo ... just-dream

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 19 Sep 2018 10:17

That article is enlightening and bizarre. When they say 'rival' in the headline, they actually mean rival in the sense that they are also trying to build a high speed rail line in Texas, not the usual sense where the rival is the detractors.

Where did a 'rival' come from? Did I miss something?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Sep 2018 10:42

I think you are overthinking headline writers. Most people will read the headline exactly as inferred in the article that the competing company is a rival because they too want to build a high-speed connection across the state.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Sep 2018 11:32

At this stage of the game, the technology deal is really the only thing about Texas Central I've had concerned. IIRC, most/all the other HSR service providers are interchangeable and/or compatible (French, Chinese etc), but the Japanese is not. The presumption all along has bee that the Triangle and/or T will eventually connect DFW-Houston-SanAustintonio, so the Japanese route could end up being by itself or whatever.

I didn't read the article, because it's weird timing and seems kinda like an incendiary repeat of stuff that's been known since Texas Triangle passenger rail service entered the realm of possibilities. If we're going to have another option from the other guys, then lets have an actual proposal. If all the other guys are trying to do is hinder the Japanese HSR technology from a new market, then I think they should step off the station.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 19 Sep 2018 11:48

I think you are overthinking headline writers.

You are probably right, but I had no idea there was a 'rival' to Texas Central, legitimate or otherwise.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 19 Sep 2018 12:18

tamtagon wrote:At this stage of the game, the technology deal is really the only thing about Texas Central I've had concerned. IIRC, most/all the other HSR service providers are interchangeable and/or compatible (French, Chinese etc), but the Japanese is not. The presumption all along has bee that the Triangle and/or T will eventually connect DFW-Houston-SanAustintonio, so the Japanese route could end up being by itself or whatever.

The Chinese technology is only interchangeable because they stole theirs from the Europeans :lol:

I don't think it's too big a deal if Dallas-Houston is built and operated using Shinkansen trains while the other legs of an eventual triangle/T-bone use TGV/ICE/CRH trains, because there's no practical case for through operation- there's no reason to go from San Antonio to Houston via Dallas, nor is there a case for having the Texas central line run trains over other operator's track to hypothetical cities further afield like LA or Chicago. Over those distances, the advantage over planes disappears.

It was clear from the beginning that JR's play was to get a foothold in the US by privately funding the Dallas-Houston line and making it independently profitable, and getting the economies of scale/first mover advantage that would help them win competitive bids for future publically-funded HSR opportunities. SNCF seems to think that because they can't make a larger, non-HSR network work without public funds, no one should be allowed to try.