Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

User avatar
warden62
Posts: 5
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:16
Location: Waco, TX

The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby warden62 » 03 Dec 2016 09:32

I know this news is a few days old...

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2016/11/29/h-e-b-will-open-two-central-market-stores-dallas

I have to say, I'm not surprised that HEB still has zero plans to plant a non-CM store as part of these purchases. Hopefully CM will sell that new Luby's mac and cheese :lol:

Ryan
--
When you have given nothing, ask for nothing.
Ryan
--
When you have given nothing, ask for nothing.

User avatar
warden62
Posts: 5
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:16
Location: Waco, TX

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby warden62 » 08 Dec 2016 09:59

Looks like Tom Thumb is ready to open up new locations in the Fresh Market stores they bought:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2016/12/07/tom-thumb-reopening-3-fresh-market-stores-purchased
Ryan
--
When you have given nothing, ask for nothing.

Tnexster
Posts: 953
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby Tnexster » 12 Dec 2016 09:59

Why HEB, Whole Foods should be terrified by Amazon's new grocery concept

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... azons.html

Customers scan the Amazon Go app on their smartphone as they enter the store. The company spent four years developing "just walk out" technology, which detects when items are picked up or returned to shelves and "keeps track of them in a virtual cart," Amazon said. There's no checkout line — just leave the store with your groceries, and Amazon will charge your account.

Tnexster
Posts: 953
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby Tnexster » 07 Feb 2017 10:05

Central Market slims down hopes for a North Texas H-E-B will sale of two properties

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... texas.html

Tnexster
Posts: 953
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby Tnexster » 08 May 2017 22:16

LIDL is opening a store in Southwest Dallas, across from the new Wal-Mart at Cedar Ridge and Wheatland.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ores-texas

User avatar
warden62
Posts: 5
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:16
Location: Waco, TX

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby warden62 » 09 May 2017 08:38

Tnexster wrote:LIDL is opening a store in Southwest Dallas, across from the new Wal-Mart at Cedar Ridge and Wheatland.


Do you mean across from the new Walgreens in Duncanville?

Is this Aldi/Lidl thing going to be like Walgreens/CVS having to be across the street from each other?
Ryan
--
When you have given nothing, ask for nothing.

Tnexster
Posts: 953
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby Tnexster » 09 May 2017 10:47

^Sorry, I meant Clark Road and Wheatland. Apparently this still needs council approval but I would not expect that to be a problem. LIDL is apparently making an aggressive move into Texas. I would expect more stores to be announced.

Tnexster
Posts: 953
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby Tnexster » 11 May 2017 09:43

German grocer Lidl is quietly buying up land in North Texas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... northtexas

Dallas District 3 City Councilman Casey Thomas posted on his Facebook page recently that the Summit Parc area in his southwest Dallas district "will get the first Lidl grocery store in Texas." He talked about it at a community meeting earlier this week.

User avatar
warden62
Posts: 5
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:16
Location: Waco, TX

Central Market in Bishop Arts?

Postby warden62 » 22 Aug 2017 19:18

Ryan
--
When you have given nothing, ask for nothing.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 734
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Aug 2017 08:12

Yeah, they bought the land Crescent had already marketed to a potential grocer. The problem is HEB/CM is not ready to build anything at the Albertsons site in the West Village or this site. The numbers are certainly improving in Oak Lawn but I doubt we are talking a build starting within the next year or two. HEB seems to be making land grabs since the grocery market is so competitive right now. Not that they aren't serious about building something at some point but they would rather slow their competitors down by taking easy builds off the market.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 989
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby tamtagon » 23 Aug 2017 08:15

They'll probably start building a warehouse before store location announcements, for HEB I guess. That's how they took Houston, I think....

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 390
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Aug 2017 09:31

cowboyeagle05 wrote:HEB seems to be making land grabs since the grocery market is so competitive right now. Not that they aren't serious about building something at some point but they would rather slow their competitors down by taking easy builds off the market.


I agree that it's strategic at this point, but one thing I kept hearing was that both Zang/Davis and Colorado Place (Fort Worth Ave) were being considered by CM, so what's stopping a competitor from taking the other location, especially now that CM has staked a claim for itself in Oak Cliff?

Another name that keeps popping us is Sprouts having an interest in Colorado and Beckley, where El Fenix is currently. I don't see that as an easy transaction and hope they just take the Colorado Place site.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 734
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Aug 2017 08:33

lakewoodhobo wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:HEB seems to be making land grabs since the grocery market is so competitive right now. Not that they aren't serious about building something at some point but they would rather slow their competitors down by taking easy builds off the market.


I agree that it's strategic at this point, but one thing I kept hearing was that both Zang/Davis and Colorado Place (Fort Worth Ave) were being considered by CM, so what's stopping a competitor from taking the other location, especially now that CM has staked a claim for itself in Oak Cliff?

Another name that keeps popping us is Sprouts having an interest in Colorado and Beckley, where El Fenix is currently. I don't see that as an easy transaction and hope they just take the Colorado Place site.


Haha yes, I am not surprised they were shopping around but my answer is simply they bought what they perceived as the best site. They know they can't stop every competitor from building but they can grab the best site for them and keep competitors from grabbing it first. This site was being marketed as a grocery store site so it's not surprising that they saw the value in being so close to Bishop Arts.

I just read the article in the DMN this morning that talks about the West Village site and CM is simply stating that it's taking longer than expected to move out of Phase 1 development of a store for that site. Sounds like the landowner is having trouble coming to an agreement with CM on the best use for that site.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 390
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Aug 2017 09:37

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I just read the article in the DMN this morning that talks about the West Village site and CM is simply stating that it's taking longer than expected to move out of Phase 1 development of a store for that site. Sounds like the landowner is having trouble coming to an agreement with CM on the best use for that site.


Definitely worth posting what the DMN said about Uptown Central Market.

The land under the Uptown store that Central Market purchased is owned by a limited partnership that also owns the land under the Walgreens across the street. The properties are managed by a Florida company that didn’t return a request for comment. However, Butt addressed the process.

“Though very early in the development phase, Central Market is exploring options with our landlord for the best use of this choice location,” Butt said. “We are taking time to design a Central Market that will showcase a fantastic customer experience.”

Butt called the Uptown location “a rare opportunity to combine a great shopping experience like Central Market with such a powerful retail location.” He said the company is committed to the Uptown location “bringing the most exciting food journey” to Dallas, but it’s going to take more time.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... pened-tell


So how does that work? Did CM buy the property or a portion of the property? How do they have a landlord?

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 989
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby tamtagon » 25 Aug 2017 10:53

I want to be giddy about the possibilities, but I don't want to be disappointed either....

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 777
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Aug 2017 12:35

tamtagon wrote:I want to be giddy about the possibilities, but I don't want to be disappointed either....


The Uptown Locale definitely needs to be mixed use high rise.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 734
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Aug 2017 14:01

lakewoodhobo wrote:
So how does that work? Did CM buy the property or a portion of the property? How do they have a landlord?


Most likely they bought the land lease from the previous owner aka SunFresh Market. The lease permits them to have a grocery store on the site most likely in the current building. CM wants to change what the building is so I am sure the landowner wants to make sure what CM builds brings him the highest value. Lord knows if the Florida owner sold the property to another developer they would throw up apartments in a quick second.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 390
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Apr 2018 09:14

Nothing terribly exciting here, but it does mention that the Walmart Market at 2305 N. Central Expressway is getting another remodel.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... store.html


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Login