Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Legacy West

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 826
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Legacy West

Postby R1070 » 10 Jan 2019 19:47

I wonder if the stores will be more high end in this building.

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 28 Jan 2019 21:19

Legacy West residential towers near finish line at Plano's hottest corner

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... inish-line

itsjrd1964
Posts: 773
Joined: 28 Jul 2018 07:38

Re: Legacy West

Postby itsjrd1964 » 08 Feb 2019 13:24

John Tesar is the seventh local chef to exit Plano's Legacy Hall

https://www.guidelive.com/restaurant-op ... egacy-hall

DPatel304
Posts: 1812
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Legacy West

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Feb 2019 13:46

Thanks for sharing, that was an interesting read for sure. I've been to the Food Hall a few times, and have loved the experience, and everyone else that visit's it says the same thing, so it is interesting to hear the other side of it.

That's definitely a bit concerning to hear for sure. They definitely appear to be a huge hit, and have a lot going for them, but it seems they might need to rethink a few things and maybe try and make some changes to remain competitive? They are fortunate in that they came in early to the food hall game (especially in DFW), and, not only did they come in early, but they came in big too. They are one of the few places that provides this type of experiences, but, we'll likely see more and more food halls popping up (I'm already seeing a few others crop up, but they are not nearly as big as the Legacy Food Hall), which will provide some serious competition for Legacy Hall.

Anyway, I do hope they find a way to make the food hall work, because I think it's a very cool place. Personally, I prefer something more open that engages with the surrounding and has room to grow (like the Farmer's Market Downtown), but this is still a damn cool place that I often like to take out-of-towners to.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 580
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Legacy West

Postby exelone31 » 08 Feb 2019 15:30

I think some of it may just be the nature of the business as well. I mean, John Tesar (and lots of other notable local chefs) don't really have a great track record for staying in one place for a long time. There are a few exceptions, but it seems like many bounce from place to place.

With Legacy Hall, I would think the barrier to entry (and therefore the barrier to exit) would be lower, so we may see more chefs try it out for a bit, then bail if they aren't a smashing success.

itsjrd1964
Posts: 773
Joined: 28 Jul 2018 07:38

Re: Legacy West

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Feb 2019 10:36


User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 580
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Legacy West

Postby exelone31 » 21 Mar 2019 08:55

https://dallas.eater.com/2019/3/20/18274351/red-stix-vietnamese-legacy-hall-closed-beijing-brothers-opening

Looks like Red Stix is now leaving Legacy Hall as well. I will be curious to see what the long-term viability of Legacy Hall is for truly unique restaurants. It sounds like the margins are pretty slim, and I wonder how long until the Sbarros and Subways of the world start moving in.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 704
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Legacy West

Postby Matt777 » 21 Mar 2019 09:43

exelone31 wrote:https://dallas.eater.com/2019/3/20/18274351/red-stix-vietnamese-legacy-hall-closed-beijing-brothers-opening

Looks like Red Stix is now leaving Legacy Hall as well. I will be curious to see what the long-term viability of Legacy Hall is for truly unique restaurants. It sounds like the margins are pretty slim, and I wonder how long until the Sbarros and Subways of the world start moving in.


Damn. I never got to try it. I just haven't been past GB Tollway in ages. The competition for unique Asian is very heavy in Plano. In general, I think the growth suburbs are over-restauranted. More of these concepts need to give the urban core a try! I think it's very interesting how Top Round didn't make it in Las Colinas so they're giving Old East Dallas a try. Hopefully more will follow.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 2361
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Mar 2019 15:04

Well, I doubt we will see a Subway or a Sabrro in the sense that Legacy Hall's owners would probably just reformat the building with bigger spaces for full-service restaurants rather than so many food booths like there is now. Hell if they had to they could reformat upper floor as office or event space if it got really bad.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 05 Apr 2019 21:49

Japanese luxury hotel firm buys Plano site for first Texas location

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... exas-hotel

Kintetsu plans to build one of its Miyako Hotels on the property, according to developers who are redoing the old Penney campus.

The 10-story, 250-room hotel and a parking garage will be built on land surrounding Penney's 28-year-old offices.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 704
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Legacy West

Postby Matt777 » 06 Apr 2019 12:29

Tnexster wrote:Japanese luxury hotel firm buys Plano site for first Texas location

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... exas-hotel

Kintetsu plans to build one of its Miyako Hotels on the property, according to developers who are redoing the old Penney campus.

The 10-story, 250-room hotel and a parking garage will be built on land surrounding Penney's 28-year-old offices.


Most of the Legacy stuff has made me go "meh," but this hotel along with the Food Hall cause a little envy for me here in Dallas.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 2361
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Apr 2019 15:08

Based on what I have heard about the Food Hall my whimsy with Legacy is kinda over. I visited the Food Hall and it was nice but call me in 5 years and we will see if it's still there. I think the Food Hall has a lot of evolving to do and I have a feeling it will end up closing down and reopened after some serious retooling in the next couple years. The Japanese hotel is nice though if it happens.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 479
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: Legacy West

Postby The_Overdog » 08 Apr 2019 09:17

Based on what I have heard about the Food Hall my whimsy with Legacy is kinda over

I've been there a couple of times and I kind of agree. First off, the food is subpar for the price all the time at all the places I've been to. Secondly, on many nights (never been during the day) it's mostly empty, with not enough business except for the 3rd floor bar, which I don't think can sustain the entire place on slow days.

3rdly, when it is crowded, the model breaks down, with long lines and not enough seating and no overflow because out the door is parking garages and garage access. In this way, I think it's good that a few places have closed. Possibly they should shut them down permanently for more seating.

DPatel304
Posts: 1812
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Legacy West

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Apr 2019 23:12

exelone31 wrote:It sounds like the margins are pretty slim, and I wonder how long until the Sbarros and Subways of the world start moving in.


Seems to be heading in that direction:
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... lvet-taco/

User avatar
Kelley USA
Posts: 628
Joined: 27 Oct 2016 12:46

Re: Legacy West

Postby Kelley USA » 09 Apr 2019 09:24

DPatel304 wrote:
exelone31 wrote:It sounds like the margins are pretty slim, and I wonder how long until the Sbarros and Subways of the world start moving in.


Seems to be heading in that direction:
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... lvet-taco/


Wow, what a coupe for Legacy Hall to get Velvet Taco... Seeing as Frontburner Restaurant Group owns both Legacy Hall and Velvet Taco I'm shocked they were able to get them! Ha! :) It's disappointing that the article was written without acknowledging that.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1813
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Legacy West

Postby tamtagon » 09 Apr 2019 12:38

Kelley USA wrote: Seeing as Frontburner Restaurant Group owns both Legacy Hall and Velvet Taco I'm shocked they were able to get them! Ha! :) It's disappointing that the article was written without acknowledging that.


I would have never known that! Thanks Kelley

I wonder why Velvet Taco wasn't part of the initial line up.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 580
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Legacy West

Postby exelone31 » 09 Apr 2019 15:06

tamtagon wrote:
Kelley USA wrote: Seeing as Frontburner Restaurant Group owns both Legacy Hall and Velvet Taco I'm shocked they were able to get them! Ha! :) It's disappointing that the article was written without acknowledging that.


I would have never known that! Thanks Kelley

I wonder why Velvet Taco wasn't part of the initial line up.


Perhaps it was a situation where Front Burner thought they'd have a bit more sustained success with concepts outside their brand. Now, they might be looking "in house" for more stability.

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 01 Jun 2019 13:44

New office tower planned for mixed-use campus in Plano's Legacy project

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... cy-project

Developer Cawley Partners plans to build the 15-story high-rise on Legacy Drive in the Campus at Legacy West development. The 300,000-square-foot speculative office project at 6333 Legacy will be constructed on part of the old J.C. Penney headquarters site.


The office tower will be built next to a planned luxury hotel by Japan's Miyako Hotels. The 14-story hotel will have 250 rooms.

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 01 Jun 2019 13:46

More construction cranes are on the way in Plano's Legacy business park

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... iness-park

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 05 Jun 2019 21:46

JPMorgan Chase will bring 4,000 more workers to Plano with new tower project

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... er-project

User avatar
NdoorTX
Posts: 192
Joined: 21 Nov 2016 02:27

Re: Legacy West

Postby NdoorTX » 05 Jun 2019 22:24

I recently flew in from El Paso to Love Field. The flight path took us from south Dallas up north where we banked left over 635 and had an expansive view of the northern burbs. Legacy West is definitely forming it's own high rise that's as distinct and impressive along the DNT. It's not super tall, but it does tower above other office clusters from Galleria North to Frisco and has a solid density from afar.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1813
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Legacy West

Postby tamtagon » 06 Jun 2019 05:51

Tnexster wrote:JPMorgan Chase will bring 4,000 more workers to Plano with new tower project
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... er-project


The ... project will allow Chase to grow its workforce in Plano ... to almost 11,000 workers.


That's remarkable! and makes me wonder what will happen to large conglomerated work groups like this years down the road when the massive corporate entities either split up into smaller stand-alone corporations and/or the large conglomerated work groups become ineffective.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1551
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Jun 2019 10:26

Rich get richer

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 719
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tucy » 06 Jun 2019 10:37

Wow. 4,000 people seems like a lot of people in a 12-story, 540,000 square foot building.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1551
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Jun 2019 11:22

Tucy wrote:Wow. 4,000 people seems like a lot of people in a 12-story, 540,000 square foot building.



https://dealbreaker.com/2019/06/jpmorga ... m-to-texas

So it turns out that it's the NY based IB team coming to Plano. I used to work in IB for JP Morgan back in the day. So typically for IB ops you will have different shifts for employees who reconcile transactions and what not..for different markets.

If it's anything like Polaris ( JP Morgan Ohio HQ).. You take your laptop and then next guy takes your desk when their shift starts. Shared work spaces. More than likely that is the case.

I doubt they'll build more towers for back end jobs. But who knows maybe I'm wrong.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 580
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Legacy West

Postby exelone31 » 06 Jun 2019 11:45

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Tucy wrote:Wow. 4,000 people seems like a lot of people in a 12-story, 540,000 square foot building.



https://dealbreaker.com/2019/06/jpmorga ... m-to-texas

So it turns out that it's the NY based IB team coming to Plano. I used to work in IB for JP Morgan back in the day. So typically for IB ops you will have different shifts for employees who reconcile transactions and what not..for different markets.

If it's anything like Polaris ( JP Morgan Ohio HQ).. You take your laptop and then next guy takes your desk when their shift starts. Shared work spaces. More than likely that is the case.

I doubt they'll build more towers for back end jobs. But who knows maybe I'm wrong.


My brother-in-law works there and has said that they currently utilize lockers and then have shared/hotel desks.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1551
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Jun 2019 11:55

exelone31 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Tucy wrote:Wow. 4,000 people seems like a lot of people in a 12-story, 540,000 square foot building.



https://dealbreaker.com/2019/06/jpmorga ... m-to-texas

So it turns out that it's the NY based IB team coming to Plano. I used to work in IB for JP Morgan back in the day. So typically for IB ops you will have different shifts for employees who reconcile transactions and what not..for different markets.

If it's anything like Polaris ( JP Morgan Ohio HQ).. You take your laptop and then next guy takes your desk when their shift starts. Shared work spaces. More than likely that is the case.

I doubt they'll build more towers for back end jobs. But who knows maybe I'm wrong.


My brother-in-law works there and has said that they currently utilize lockers and then have shared/hotel desks.


Yeah, JP Morgan is very frugal when it comes to Back End Ops jobs. However , the client facing facilities in Manhattan are top notch.

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 18 Jun 2019 11:07

Developer Trammell Crow heads to Plano's Legacy park with plans for high-rise office campus

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ice-campus

DPatel304
Posts: 1812
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Legacy West

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jun 2019 12:29

It's a shame there isn't more cohesiveness among the different developments around here, because this could have turned into a pretty decent urban core, otherwise.

Either way, congrats again to Plano for this one!

itsjrd1964
Posts: 773
Joined: 28 Jul 2018 07:38

Re: Legacy West

Postby itsjrd1964 » 08 Nov 2019 22:42

Plush Plano apartment tower is opening in Legacy West

At 29 stories, it's the tallest building in the Legacy Area, and all of Plano. Comes with a $13,500/month penthouse, if you like ;)

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... gacy-west/

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 16 Dec 2019 14:17

Dallas company headed to Plano with $338 million project

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... rce=pushly

The site Ryan would build on is between the huge corporate campuses being built by JPMorgan Chase and Liberty Mutual.

Ryan’s original purchase agreement said the tax firm can’t build a tower smaller than 12 stories or a building with less than 240,000 square feet.

A Ryan representative said a start date for the new office project hasn’t been set.

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 16 Dec 2019 14:43

Local developer could break ground on office park near Legacy West by Q1, new info suggests

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... -park.html

Trammell Crow Co. could be close to breaking ground on the first of four office towers near Legacy West, a new document submitted to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation suggests.

Back in June, the company received approval by Plano's City Council to proceed with its plans for a four-building, 1.3 million-square-foot office park, which could include towers ranging from 12 to 25 stories tall. The buildings could also range from 300,000 square feet to 400,000 square feet, according to plans. The development would be located on a 18.5-acre plot at the southwest corner of Legacy Drive and Communications Parkway and would include at least two parking decks.

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 1061
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Cypress Waters

Re: Legacy West

Postby muncien » 15 Jan 2020 13:08

There's a DBJ article from yesterday saying the lender has moved for Foreclose on Campus at Legacy West. I didn't have time to read the article, but this appears to be all the former JCP land which, when finished, was to total over $1B.
I always find this interesting with commercial properties which seem to hit the 'foreclosure' button quickly, only to find resolution shortly afterward.
Not sure what this means (if anything). Curious to see what happens...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 479
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: Legacy West

Postby The_Overdog » 15 Jan 2020 13:37

I think this is the same area where the city council shot down the site plan for apartments, which I have nothing against apartments but the site plan was legit terrible and completely focused on cannibalizing what had already been constructed in the other part of Legacy West rather than gelling with it and increasing it's size. Glad this guy (Drein Partners) didn't get Collin Creek Mall.

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 03 Feb 2020 12:16

Work starts on Legacy hotel site in Plano
New Mikayo Hotel is planned in Campus at Legacy West

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -in-plano/

itsjrd1964
Posts: 773
Joined: 28 Jul 2018 07:38

Re: Legacy West

Postby itsjrd1964 » 03 Feb 2020 18:25

Tnexster wrote:Work starts on Legacy hotel site in Plano
New Mikayo Hotel is planned in Campus at Legacy West

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -in-plano/


Isn't it Miyako?

https://www.planotexas.org/802/Miyako-H ... as-locatio

Here's more about them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyako_Hotels_%26_Resorts
https://www.miyakola.com/

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 06 Feb 2020 16:06

Pharma company Reata makes Plano lease while it waits for new tower to be built
Developer Trammell Crow will build the firm’s new headquarters high-rise.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -be-built/

Reata has already signed a deal with Crow Co. to occupy a new 327,400-square-foot building that the Dallas developer will build on Legacy Drive west of the Dallas North Tollway. The single-tenant tower for Reata is one of two new office high-rises Crow Co. plans to build across the street from the $3 billion Legacy West development.

The two glass, metal and concrete high-rises were designed by Dallas architect HKS.

User avatar
Kelley USA
Posts: 628
Joined: 27 Oct 2016 12:46

Re: Legacy West

Postby Kelley USA » 24 Mar 2020 09:27

Tiffany & Co. and Louis Vuitton are coming to Legacy West... This development has been such a success on the retail front, I wonder if they'll try to keep adding retail (although I have no idea where they'd put it).

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... iffany-co/

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 719
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tucy » 24 Mar 2020 13:43

Kelley USA wrote:Tiffany & Co. and Louis Vuitton are coming to Legacy West... This development has been such a success on the retail front, I wonder if they'll try to keep adding retail (although I have no idea where they'd put it).

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... iffany-co/


It seems pretty likely this will mean good-bye Galleria for these two stores.

User avatar
NdoorTX
Posts: 192
Joined: 21 Nov 2016 02:27

Re: Legacy West

Postby NdoorTX » 24 Mar 2020 22:06

Tucy wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:Tiffany & Co. and Louis Vuitton are coming to Legacy West... This development has been such a success on the retail front, I wonder if they'll try to keep adding retail (although I have no idea where they'd put it).

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... iffany-co/


It seems pretty likely this will mean good-bye Galleria for these two stores.


According to the article, the Galleria General Manager stated LV was not moving. This might be a case of troubles at Willow Bend. LV has a shop in shop at Neiman's. Nothing was said about Tiffany, although the brand has been diluted and not as exclusive as before. They probably rely more on the little blue box, crystal and attainable silver jewelry than than the fabulous gems and baubles in their ads for sales.

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 479
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: Legacy West

Postby The_Overdog » 25 Mar 2020 09:19

This might be a case of troubles at Willow Bend.

Willow Bend is in trouble. There was an article a few weeks ago that they defaulted on their loans, and the subtext was that no-one else wanted to pick them up, so it will float in limbo for a while. If I was a decent store with options, I'd bail.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 2361
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Apr 2020 17:46

Just seems like Willow Bend has tried to be like Northpark and tried to out weather the shift away from indoor malls but will fail. This COVID-19 outbreak won't help either. Legacy though is a good match for these two brands it seems like. I am sure the Tiffany selection in stores varies depending on where they are. H&M does something similar. H&M's NorthPark location has more of their designer clothes options while the Town East Mall location focuses more on their basics clothing lines.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster
Posts: 2625
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 12 May 2020 13:51

New 17-story tower on the way at Plano’s $3 billion Legacy West development

High-rise office will face Sam Rayburn Tollway.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... evelpment/

Image

User avatar
Thymant
Posts: 178
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 17:23

Re: Legacy West

Postby Thymant » 13 May 2020 02:42

I actually kind of like this one, its a little more unique.

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 717
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Legacy West

Postby eburress » 13 May 2020 11:47

It looks like its top half is being pushed off a table by a cat.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1551
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 May 2020 19:55

The rich get richer

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 2361
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Legacy West

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 May 2020 13:24

Legacy is just the trendy option right now. As we all learn over and over these trends can change quickly and cities always have a hard time catching things before they are long gone.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Login