Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Could Dallas land Amazon HQ '2'?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Could Dallas land Amazon HQ '2'?

Postby tamtagon » 15 May 2019 06:40

Too bad JCP hasn't figured out how to use the internet for substantial growth. Taking the small, hometown route to building the innovative tech mastery necessary to keep up with Amazon a locally sourced "engineer" workgroup housed in (e.g.) Deep Ellum could save Pennys.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 15 May 2019 09:24

tamtagon wrote:Too bad JCP hasn't figured out how to use the internet for substantial growth. Taking the small, hometown route to building the innovative tech mastery necessary to keep up with Amazon a locally sourced "engineer" workgroup housed in (e.g.) Deep Ellum could save Pennys.

Right? JCP is such a missed opportunity to innovate and change. They could get back to their roots of offering "mail order" goods to smaller communities across the country, through the internet. I wonder how heavily they advertise in rural communities. Cheap billboard advertising in small cities and towns heavily pushing JCP.com online ordering for everything one could need might be untapped.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 May 2019 13:16

^From what I understand, the folks behind the folks running the company are stuck in Sears Roebuck mode, it's a shame. Before much longer, the resources of JCP will have been depleted beyond the point of no return; the cushion of size still gifts the ability to act with nimbleness and mobility for a while and I thought the 'Sephora Store' was an indication of updating and rebranding, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Reinventing the full service department store as a neighborhood pick-up warehouse is simply waiting to happen, Amazon hasn't made that particular transition, and is probably further away from it than someone like JCP, the opportunity is there.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 15 May 2019 14:03

tamtagon wrote:^From what I understand, the folks behind the folks running the company are stuck in Sears Roebuck mode, it's a shame. Before much longer, the resources of JCP will have been depleted beyond the point of no return; the cushion of size still gifts the ability to act with nimbleness and mobility for a while and I thought the 'Sephora Store' was an indication of updating and rebranding, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Reinventing the full service department store as a neighborhood pick-up warehouse is simply waiting to happen, Amazon hasn't made that particular transition, and is probably further away from it than someone like JCP, the opportunity is there.

The "store within a store" concept they tried several years back was interesting to me, but I don't think they went far enough with the concept. JCP has a ton of retail space and dwindling sales. If they invented completely new "stores" geared towards trendy stuff (like Gap did with Athleta and Hill City) maybe they could carve up their vast retail spaces into separate stores with separate entrances. Almost like permanent pop up space. New clothes brands, consumer goods, gourmet food, home furnishings, sky is the limit. Use the JCP platform on the back end, same supply chain and corporate support but looks and feels like a separate brand.