Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

East Dallas: Ross Avenue Corridor

mcrdal15

Re: East Dallas: Ross Avenue Corridor

Postby mcrdal15 » 07 Jul 2018 15:07

tamtagon wrote:Bryan Place is a dead end neighborhood, and they're claiming the neighborhood is overrun with drunken patrons and their cars?

I wonder if this is the same collection of residents who ten-ish years ago complained that the 20 story highrise in a proposed development with apartments, grocery store a couple block SSE would block their view.

This is another example of the growing pains and evolution of urban Dallas. On one hand, you have a critical mass of people who desires urban vibrancy and walkable entertainment. On the other hand, you have a lot of people not accustomed to this at all. They're still viewing Dallas as some sort of small town, especially near the city center.

There's a mismatch going on and I think central Dallas will thrive when these suburban-minded, "bedroom community" residents in and around the urban core either adapt or move out. Central Dallas can't afford to be a quiet bedroom community. There's no use trying to negotiate with these neighborhood associations. Our best tool for change is at the ballot box.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 07 Jul 2018 15:13

Something seems off about this. There's been bars/restaurants in those spaces for years.

ForumFollowsFunction

Postby ForumFollowsFunction » 08 Jul 2018 19:32

tamtagon wrote:Bryan Place is a dead end neighborhood

I disagree. I drove through Bryan Place for the first time just a couple weeks ago and was very impressed with the density and character that exists there. The houses have virtually no space between and the streets are indeed extremely tight. I can certainly undertand how some careless bar patrons could really clog up the streeets in there. Look at all of the surrounding clusters of single family homes on that side of 75. None even comes close to the density of Bryan Place.

Not all urban development has to be sky rise apartments. Bryan Place fits a lot of houses into a tiny sliver of the Dallas urban environment, and its residents should not be disregarded so carelsssly. These are some of the citiy’s first urban pioneers, those who were willing to sacrifice the “luxury” of a sprawling suburban estate for something much more dense and much closer to the city center. They understand what it means for people to live close together and become a community. If they are sounding the alarm on bad neighbors we should at least listen. If anyone knows what it takes to be a good neighbor it’s the people that have packed themselves into the sardine can that is Bryan Place.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Jul 2018 20:02

^dead end in the literal sense, the streets do not go thru, they are blocked.

TreeFrog

Postby TreeFrog » 09 Jul 2018 03:13

tamtagon wrote:^dead end in the literal sense, the streets do not go thru, they are blocked.

:lol:

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Jul 2018 08:34

Well, personally It sounds like the bar owners here are doing a little too much. I like a good neighborhood bar as much as the next guy, after all, I live above one and can hear the music from the patio as well as its drunk laughing patrons from one 7 days a week two floors down and love it but there is a balance between bars and nightclubs that many bars in Dallas bounce between. In Dallas, the urban areas used to be almost exclusive to entertainment districts where bar/clubs could rule the roost for years at a time before that business ultimately ran its course and another place opens 6 months later with very little resident area interference except in very select areas in Dallas. I think these days there is an uptick in the number of inner-city residences that have the potential intersection with bar owners that program themselves a little harder on the club side of things rather than a lively bar.

There are some idealistic expectations from some residents that living in the city means peace and quiet and that is foolish but I do think there are plenty of "bars" in Dallas that operate as a nightclub more often and tend to make a bigger stink at night because of this atmosphere. Whether its the parking nightmare problem crowding the residential neighborhood nearby or its the loud operating atmosphere things will have to change if operators want to stay open in even mixed-use residential neighborhoods. Operators have to just realize loud and louder DJ's are not a concept that's going to end well so close to very organized neighborhood associations. Pick your battles, cause you are going to have them running a night time venue that plays music and serve's liquor.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Jul 2018 17:40

When I lived at Ross and Hall around 2012, nobody had a problem with Three Sheets or Sunset Lounge so clearly something changed.

Maybe the crowds that used to go to Plush/Gatsby downtown moved over here and it became too loud and unruly. Like Confucius said, "this is why we can't have nice things."

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Jul 2018 17:54

lakewoodhobo wrote:Maybe the crowds that used to go to Plush/Gatsby downtown moved over here and it became too loud and unruly. Like Confucius said, "this is why we can't have nice things."

I've never been to the bars on Ross Ave, but I have a feeling this is probably true. Also add to the fact that a few bars in Uptown have closed up shop as well, so perhaps these neighborhood bars started feeling more and more like party bars.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 13 Jul 2018 13:05

Looks like they abandoned this project for now. It's been empty like this for a month or so

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 13 Jul 2018 14:10

I didn't know Beck had properly along Ross Avenue, zing!

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 16 Jul 2018 03:10

That is a huge site. It's unfortunate the DISD had to sell the land. The location would have made for another great urban magnet school.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 16 Jul 2018 05:41

I guess they felt like they had to sell to raise $$$$ so they could have the nice shiny spot on N. Central. I'm not sure how set they are for amount of magnet campuses, but I guess another near DTD wouldn't hurt.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 16 Jul 2018 15:18

I don't know if it's abandoned. It seems to me like the demo gets done well before anybody can start actually building new. I have noticed that on a few of the new projects. Unless you are CityLights or KDC, it seems there is a shortage of construction workers from my view. Anybody in the business who might have better insights?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 12 Oct 2018 07:05

Work is about to ramp up on old Dallas school district digs on Ross Avenue

The developer has come out and said that the reason for the construction down-time was to fine-tune the design/layout of the portion of the project that will include what is left of the former DISD building. The first completed portion of the complex won't be done until Summer of 2020.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... oss-avenue

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Oct 2018 10:23

They changed the design significantly and it looks worse than before...

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 12 Oct 2018 13:17

I think the new design is definitely "funkier" than what was previously proposed, but overall it's better. The first design was a little bland. This new design could use a little fine tuning, but it's definitely more details and less boring grey box like the old plan.

The only thing I fear is that this is another stall tactic in order to let what's remaining of the DISD building rot out, or a homeless person "accidentally" sets a fire in it, so they can scrape it.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 12 Oct 2018 14:12

^ They could have scraped it at any time. There's no requirement the keep any part of the old building.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Oct 2018 14:26

Yeah it's not protected by any city regulations so its completely on their dime if they decide to scrape it and claim it was too costly to keep.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Oct 2018 14:56

At this point ...Can we just get some decent sidewalks? These single file sidewalks gotta go.

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Oct 2018 18:04

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:At this point ...Can we just get some decent sidewalks? These single file sidewalks gotta go.

I enthusiastically second that, along Ross and all over town.