Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Autonomous Vehicle Thread

muncien

Re: Autonomous Vehicle Thread

Postby muncien » 08 May 2018 12:58

Not sure if anyone has seen Uber's latest plans for flying taxis... Seems like they are going the wrong direction now.
Large, Complicated, Unweildly, and Expensive. :?

https://gizmodo.com/uber-s-new-aerial-taxi-concept-looks-like-the-spruce-go-1825851694
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 May 2018 21:19

Saw this story earlier today, the one I saw looked a little like a mocked up airplane. I would like to see one of these things fly.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 May 2018 21:21

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 May 2018 14:20

Dallas architects fly into the future with plans for Uber Elevate terminals

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -terminals

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 May 2018 08:28

I don't understand the concept of these massive 'terminals'. Doesn't that kinda contradict the intent of direct A to Z commute? I mean... Shouldn't these things be MUCH smaller (maybe four or five pads) and spread out all over the place? If they intend to make them this big, surely you can't have that many of them, and your 'last mile' problem becomes a 'last 10 miles' problem.

Being that these things are to be automated (over time), you don't really need designated platforms and vehicles. Instead, any vehicle should be able to take you anywhere. If the travelers going to say, Legacy West, happen to show up before those going to Midtown, than they just get on the first vehicle and off it goes.

I must be missing something...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 May 2018 20:44

^I actually pictured something smaller, almost like an express bus stop you see in the burbs. More smaller style Uber lift stops versus fewer large almost airport like terminals. Maybe this is just a concept stop on the journey to reality.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 15 May 2018 15:40

https://www.wired.com/story/self-driving-cars-texas-frisco-driveai/

Starting in July, the company will run a fleet of driverless vehicles around Frisco, Texas, a city of 164,000 people on the northern edge of the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area. Announced today, the six-month pilot—which will keep human safety operators behind the wheel, ready to grab control if the car gets confused or misbehaves—marks Drive.ai’s first large-scale effort to put people in its cars, and the first such deployment in Texas.

Here's further details from a DMN article as well:

The service is made possible through a unique public-private partnership among California-based Drive.ai, the city of Frisco, the Denton County Transportation Authority and the private developments for Hall Park, The Star and Frisco Station. They are all part of the newly formed Frisco Transportation Management Association.

I could very easily see this being something that gets implemented at Legacy West if it's successful up in Frisco. Could we ultimately see something similar to the D-Link that's run autonomously in the near future?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 May 2018 09:02

I imagine we will still see the safety drivers paid to sit in the driver seat for the next 10 years. I just don't yet see how a combination of the public perception and actual drivers/pedestrians messing things up will change that factor.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Jun 2018 09:35

Corgan offers stackable design for skyports where Uber's flying taxis will takeoff, land

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... where.html

How many landings per hour can the skyports designed by Corgan handle? The way we approached our design allows a lot of modularity and flexibility. There won’t necessarily be a demand for 1,000 landings per hour as an initial investment from Uber’s side. We developed our skyport around a single module that handles 90 landings per hour. Ideally that skyport gets doubled in size into a paired module, which handles 180 landings per hour. The beauty is it’s the same basic building block. Once we hit 180 (landings) it’s real easy for us to continue to scale that by replicating that scaled module up to 1,000 or more landings per hour.