Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Las Colinas/North Irving Development

muncien

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby muncien » 26 Apr 2018 15:22

Kelley USA wrote:Yes, so this is basically under the lawn of the Pavilion. It's about 10K sq ft. This is way more impressive than Big Beat if you ask me. Now let's just see if it actually gets built. Looks like a very expensive build-out!

No doubt... That is very impressive. I have also noticed that slots have been installed along all entrances to the plaza to place bollards down, and limit vehicular activity on the inside of the development. At one point last week, they even had them installed to prevent vehicles from cutting through... but you could technically still drive on both sides.

Also... I checked out the scotch bar, or 'library' room across from Martini Ranch over the weekend. That is a swanky little place, that I don't think people know about. Quite nice...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

muncien

Postby muncien » 01 May 2018 14:26

muncien wrote:My problem so far... No Happy Hour! I, personally consider a decent Happy Hour as a gateway for introducing people to a new restaurant. Their default prices are definitely steep, but a solid Happy hour offering can introduce people to a product that otherwise wouldn't give it a chance. Since the product itself (the food and entertainment) are both solid (IMO), it makes most sense to offer the bait. Yet, both venues I have been to (Route 61 and Jam house) had NO Happy Hour at that critical time, and directed me to the booths on the pavilion for specials ($5 Bud Light and Hot Dogs... no thanks).
I really do think they can get away with their default prices (due to vast corporate/expense account clientele), but not 100% of the time. They definitely need to offer a decent Happy Hour to compete. Yard House at least seems to have that part down... You can get a KILLER Nachos that feeds like four people for about $6 during HH. Why would I pay the same for just chips and salsa?

Once again... Those who know best read this forum.
Big Beat Dallas has now expanded their happy hour beyond only the little outside booths. You can now get half price on ALL drinks and SELECT appetizers EVERY
DAY from 3-7pm at Bar Manzanilla, Highway 61 South, Texas Jam House, and of course... on the Texas Lottery Plaza.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 01 May 2018 15:13

muncien wrote:
muncien wrote:My problem so far... No Happy Hour! I, personally consider a decent Happy Hour as a gateway for introducing people to a new restaurant. Their default prices are definitely steep, but a solid Happy hour offering can introduce people to a product that otherwise wouldn't give it a chance. Since the product itself (the food and entertainment) are both solid (IMO), it makes most sense to offer the bait. Yet, both venues I have been to (Route 61 and Jam house) had NO Happy Hour at that critical time, and directed me to the booths on the pavilion for specials ($5 Bud Light and Hot Dogs... no thanks).
I really do think they can get away with their default prices (due to vast corporate/expense account clientele), but not 100% of the time. They definitely need to offer a decent Happy Hour to compete. Yard House at least seems to have that part down... You can get a KILLER Nachos that feeds like four people for about $6 during HH. Why would I pay the same for just chips and salsa?

Once again... Those who know best read this forum.
Big Beat Dallas has now expanded their happy hour beyond only the little outside booths. You can now get half price on ALL drinks and SELECT appetizers EVERY
DAY from 3-7pm at Bar Manzanilla, Highway 61 South, Texas Jam House, and of course... on the Texas Lottery Plaza.

This smells like desperation, but I'll take it. Unfortunately a job move is having us relocate away from Las Colinas, but I hope this project and the surrounding area becomes a success. It does seem like the area is doing better now with the opening of Alamo and a lot of the construction finishing up. Now hopefully Water Street hurries up, it seems to have been stagnant on the construction front for at least a few weeks now.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 04 May 2018 14:56

Pretty cool little article on the Texican Court Hotel...

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/retro-inspir ... i-westerns

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 04 May 2018 23:18

Kelley USA wrote:Pretty cool little article on the Texican Court Hotel...

....except, not once is the name of the hotel mentioned. Strange.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 06 May 2018 07:39

The three courtyards, named Il Buono, Il Brutto, and Il Cattivo (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

They’ve also got the translation wrong. “Cattivo” means “bad” in Italian, e.g, “I’m not such a bad comedian” = “non son cattivo comico.” “Brutto” means ugly.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 06 May 2018 08:07

Had a great meal at Texas Jam House last night. Place was fairly busy for 5pm.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 May 2018 11:32

Kelley USA wrote:Pretty cool little article on the Texican Court Hotel...

I saw this when I was at the Convention Center a few weeks back and was surprised when I heard it was a hotel since it looks like an apartment complex....but, maybe it will be well received. I'd be curious to see it close up when completed.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 May 2018 09:29

I have no doubt the Texican Court will be first class... If you look at the other Valencia Hotels they're all really nice. The layout of the Texican seems very similar to their Lone Star Court Hotel in Austin. That's a really great place to stay if you're down that way!

Also, some new confirmed leases for Water Street... Mike Mousel Design (3100 sq ft), Homegrown Hounds (2000 sq ft), The Market (1800 sq ft), We Yogis Yoga Studio (2600 sq ft), The Gents Place (3400 sq ft), Shawarma Bar (1100 sq ft).

Café Herrera is no longer part of the plans. They're still trying to attract a tenant for the last location on the lake. Also, State Fare Kitchen & Bar no longer appears on the site plan even though finish-out had already started. Some restaurant named Hugo's Invitados is now listed and a few changes have already been made to the interior space from where State Fare had started. So not sure what's up with that?!

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 May 2018 11:09

Alamo Draft house is now giving 'FULL VALIDATION' instead of 2-hour validation. So now you can feel free to hang out in the area afterwards.

Is it just me, or does this particular thread predict the future? lol

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 May 2018 11:36

muncien wrote:Alamo Draft house is now giving 'FULL VALIDATION' instead of 2-hour validation. So now you can feel free to hang out in the area afterwards.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if Alamo is picking up the additional cost in some sort of way? If not, then if I'm Thirsty Lion or YardHouse or any of the other restaurants I'm going straight to the owners and demanding I be able to give full validation as well.

Oh, forgot to mention that Nosh N Bottle is open. It's very soft right now and they're still waiting for liquor license etc... But I popped in on Sunday. Super nice people and really great place!

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 07 May 2018 12:53

Kelley USA wrote:
muncien wrote:Alamo Draft house is now giving 'FULL VALIDATION' instead of 2-hour validation. So now you can feel free to hang out in the area afterwards.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if Alamo is picking up the additional cost in some sort of way? If not, then if I'm Thirsty Lion or YardHouse or any of the other restaurants I'm going straight to the owners and demanding I be able to give full validation as well.

Oh, forgot to mention that Nosh N Bottle is open. It's very soft right now and they're still waiting for liquor license etc... But I popped in on Sunday. Super nice people and really great place!

Yeah we went to Nosh as well a couple weeks ago and it was pretty nice. The people were super friendly. The sandwiches were a bit expensive but good both times I've been.

I always find it funny that these developments wait until public opinion/outrage to change things instead of using common sense from the getgo. People don't like being nickle'd and dime'd, you'd think they'd learn that by now. I'm guessing they just want to see what they can get away with at the beginning and then start to change things.

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 May 2018 13:51

WilCo wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:

Yeah we went to Nosh as well a couple weeks ago and it was pretty nice. The people were super friendly. The sandwiches were a bit expensive but good both times I've been.

I always find it funny that these developments wait until public opinion/outrage to change things instead of using common sense from the getgo. People don't like being nickle'd and dime'd, you'd think they'd learn that by now. I'm guessing they just want to see what they can get away with at the beginning and then start to change things.

No kidding... In fact, smart business approach requires the exact opposite of what they did. They should have pushed for a free parking appraoch for the first few months of operation, ran tons of happy hour specials, and not even considered a cover charge until they've sucked enough people and attention into developement. The fact that much of the supporting population (hotels, northshore apartements, on-site office space) won't exist for the first six months to a year is all the more reason to have give aways at the open.
Instead, the people who were excited about this most, the early adopters who are supposed to be your ambassadors, go out and complain about being nickle and dimed. Not a good way to kick things off. But, I still have confidence that this will be a hit as more supporting developement gets going. There really isn't just anything else to do around here for miles... so it kinda has no choice. lol

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 08 May 2018 00:44

It also appears they've backed off on the Uber/Lyft-can-only-do-pickups-on-the-service-road-ramp-side for everything. Now it seems to be just select nights/events/concerts. If so, that is more logical and a lot less complicated, especially for visitors.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 May 2018 10:20

A few notes today...

1) They are clearing the pad site in front of Whole Foods. Last I heard it was supposed to be one of those quick ER businesses. We already have a ton of those, and quite frankly not sure how all those places stay in business. Hopefully it'll be something else though! I know Leon Capital recently sold the center. I think if they just added another 5K sq ft of spec retail they would lease it pretty quick!

2) State Fare Kitchen & Bar is definitely out at Water Street. Pretty bummed since it looked like a cool concept. Not sure what happened but they literally started build-out and then stopped. Someone else has already taken the spot though. A place called Hugo's Invitados is now doing the build-out. Great location within Water Street and a pretty big restaurant at 7K sq ft.

muncien

Postby muncien » 16 May 2018 10:26

Kelley USA wrote:A few notes today...

1) They are clearing the pad site in front of Whole Foods. Last I heard it was supposed to be one of those quick ER businesses. We already have a ton of those, and quite frankly not sure how all those places stay in business. Hopefully it'll be something else though! I know Leon Capital recently sold the center. I think if they just added another 5K sq ft of spec retail they would lease it pretty quick!

2) State Fare Kitchen & Bar is definitely out at Water Street. Pretty bummed since it looked like a cool concept. Not sure what happened but they literally started build-out and then stopped. Someone else has already taken the spot though. A place called Hugo's Invitados is now doing the build-out. Great location within Water Street and a pretty big restaurant at 7K sq ft.

I am truly baffled by the multitude of stand along 'ERs' being built. Is there some unknown plague about to ravage the area that the government is keeping secret, or what?

Anyway... Do we have any projected opening dates for Water Street stuffs? I've been anxiously waiting for something else to try out...

Oh, also... I saw a zoning sign go up on the lot behind Champps. It think it was previously proposed as ANOTHER HOTEL. I guess the dozen hotels across the street aren't enough to handle the presumed crowds awaiting ER availability.

vman

Postby vman » 16 May 2018 10:52

I can't believe how uninspired the retail is at a shopping center that has such a sought after anchor like Whole Foods.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 May 2018 11:51

vman wrote:

I can't believe how uninspired the retail is at a shopping center that has such a sought after anchor like Whole Foods.

Don't get me started on this rant... I think the City, the Las Colinas Association and Leon Capital were all so excited to get Whole Foods that literally everything else was overlooked. This development could have been SOOOOOO much more. Instead we got some bland project, with poor landscaping and entryways and a tenant mix that's average at best. I knew we were in trouble when Leon sold a pad site to Pollo Tropical. They didn't care about the overall tenant mix. It's pretty clear they just wanted the commission!

As for the lot behind Champps, it's been slated for an Embassy Suites. Not sure if that's changed, but here was past rendering: https://www.facebook.com/Embassy-Suites ... 320208193/

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 16 May 2018 11:54

They were lucky to get Whole Foods... WF almost completely backed out. WF has been concerned with the ability to make the store profitable, but their influx from the Amazon purchase allowed them to proceed.

muncien

Postby muncien » 16 May 2018 12:48

Kelley USA wrote:
vman wrote:

As for the lot behind Champps, it's been slated for an Embassy Suites. Not sure if that's changed, but here was past rendering: https://www.facebook.com/Embassy-Suites ... 320208193/

Thanks! That rendering is two years old. It's also odd that it has an even number address (800 W John Carpenter Fwy), when even numbers are on the south side and odd numbers are on the north. But... whatever.
I'm curious if anything has changed with these plans. I can't seem to find anything on the meeting agenda's. The city website seems to have undergone a revision and I am not seeing nearly as much content as I used to. Or, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.
I did see something called "Project Stellar" on the agenda for the Executive Session today... Curious what that is.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 May 2018 09:20

^^ It'll probably be on the next P&Z meeting agenda. Look for that info to come out tomorrow (assuming P&Z is meeting next Monday).

Also at the Music Factory, they've started to tear down the plywood and put windows into the remaining vacant spots. Looks better for sure! I am surprised that there is still quite a bit of retail left to lease and there doesn't seem to be ANY movement on leasing.

cojoey

Postby cojoey » 17 May 2018 14:25

Does anyone have any news on the pipeline project taking place around NW Hwy and Las Colinas?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 May 2018 13:48

From the P&Z Agenda... It looks like the lot behind Champps is going to be office... Another interesting note from the Agenda, but looks like Centurion American is looking to purchase and develop the old Dallas Cowboys Headquarters. They're proposing 37 acres of single family and townhome uses.

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 May 2018 14:21

Kelley USA wrote:From the P&Z Agenda... It looks like the lot behind Champps is going to be office... Another interesting note from the Agenda, but looks like Centurion American is looking to purchase and develop the old Dallas Cowboys Headquarters. They're proposing 37 acres of single family and townhome uses.

Thanks for the update!
The SF/Townhomes don't surprise me at all. I certainly hoped for more, but didn't expect it.
Interesting about the office being proposed. I did not expect that. I really wish there were some effort/plan to activate all these waterways throughout Las Colinas area. Having them all connected with pedestrian paths to these various neighborhoods would be quite cool. But instead, everything kinda turns it's back on them.