Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

User avatar
jrd1964
Posts: 390
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 06:38

Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby jrd1964 » 09 May 2018 19:17

The latest addition to Frisco's major mall will be a Hyatt Regency hotel. It will be 15 stories tall with 295 rooms and 50,000 square feet of meeting space, and connect directly to the mall between Nordstrom and Dillard's. No construction or completion timeline was given.

https://www.visitfrisco.com/listing/hya ... isco/1802/

User avatar
DAFW
Posts: 51
Joined: 20 Sep 2017 19:46

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby DAFW » 09 May 2018 19:32

It looks great! I vaguely remember some early articles about this hotel was that it was supposed to be completed in 2019... Not sure about that now. Maybe 2020?

User avatar
DAFW
Posts: 51
Joined: 20 Sep 2017 19:46

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby DAFW » 09 May 2018 21:33

Oop! Found the press release!
http://www.friscotexas.gov/DocumentCent ... ndbreaking

Some notes: Broke ground today May 9th, 2018 and Is expected to be complete in the first quarter 2020.
It also says that it will have 18 stories (instead of 15) and contain 303 rooms (instead of 295).
:)

Tnexster
Posts: 1587
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby Tnexster » 09 May 2018 21:40

That hotel will be the best looking piece of that mall. Stonebriar looks awful.

User avatar
DAFW
Posts: 51
Joined: 20 Sep 2017 19:46

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby DAFW » 09 May 2018 23:38

Tnexster wrote:That hotel will be the best looking piece of that mall. Stonebriar looks awful.


I KNOW! Stonebriar is LONG overdue for an exterior and interior makeover... The entire look and feel is so tacky and awful, for being one of the best performing malls in the country Im surprised they havent modernized or updated it by now... a shame.

User avatar
texasstar
Posts: 109
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 22:39

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby texasstar » 10 May 2018 05:36

DAFW wrote:
Tnexster wrote:That hotel will be the best looking piece of that mall. Stonebriar looks awful.


I KNOW! Stonebriar is LONG overdue for an exterior and interior makeover... The entire look and feel is so tacky and awful, for being one of the best performing malls in the country Im surprised they havent modernized or updated it by now... a shame.


So, what is their incentive to make updates when you are one of the best performing malls in the country?

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1394
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 May 2018 11:06

It doesn't matter to me I will just go to NorthPark anyway cause its walkways are cleaner and the design is much more classic vs Stonebriar which tends to be just like any other mall with ads on every surface and the corridors are very mall like. I think this Hotel is a great addition though and wish NorthPark was doing the same already.

User avatar
DAFW
Posts: 51
Joined: 20 Sep 2017 19:46

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby DAFW » 10 May 2018 13:02

texasstar wrote:
DAFW wrote:
Tnexster wrote:That hotel will be the best looking piece of that mall. Stonebriar looks awful.


I KNOW! Stonebriar is LONG overdue for an exterior and interior makeover... The entire look and feel is so tacky and awful, for being one of the best performing malls in the country I'm surprised they haven't modernized or updated it by now... a shame.


So, what is their incentive to make updates when you are one of the best performing malls in the country?


That's kind of the problem because they don't feel like they need to make any changes since business is booming. I just wish they would give Stonebriar a more timeless look, as someone who lives by Stonebriar mall, I don't have an incentive to stay there longer than I need to be due to the crowds and because it's not really visually interesting or appealing to walk around and observe. I always find myself spending much more time in Northpark because of how beautiful and serene the atmosphere is...

Tnexster
Posts: 1587
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby Tnexster » 10 May 2018 20:52

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It doesn't matter to me I will just go to NorthPark anyway cause its walkways are cleaner and the design is much more classic vs Stonebriar which tends to be just like any other mall with ads on every surface and the corridors are very mall like. I think this Hotel is a great addition though and wish NorthPark was doing the same already.


Agreed, I have wondered about a hotel at NP as well. Seems long overdue and would be a nice addition to the center.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 304
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby exelone31 » 11 May 2018 08:42

Man, that south-facing facade at Stonebriar looks like it's straight out of Looney Tunes.

Glad to see the hotel is going up. I wonder if the next evolution for malls like this one and Willow Bend (and others that won't just be torn down) is some Frankenstein-ian move of bolting on different amenities and destinations. Obviously Willow Bend has their Victory Plaza-esque thing going in, so that could be the way they try to keep up with the likes of Legacy West.

Tnexster
Posts: 1587
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby Tnexster » 12 May 2018 14:13

exelone31 wrote:Man, that south-facing facade at Stonebriar looks like it's straight out of Looney Tunes.


That's about the best description I have heard.

User avatar
DAFW
Posts: 51
Joined: 20 Sep 2017 19:46

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby DAFW » 12 May 2018 15:32

exelone31 wrote:Man, that south-facing facade at Stonebriar looks like it's straight out of Looney Tunes.


its going to age so bad :shock: .....how could they let that happen.

User avatar
jrd1964
Posts: 390
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 06:38

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby jrd1964 » 13 May 2018 01:31

DAFW wrote:
exelone31 wrote:Man, that south-facing facade at Stonebriar looks like it's straight out of Looney Tunes.


its going to age so bad :shock: .....how could they let that happen.


It's probably like cars, homes, office buildings ... somebody in an ivory tower somewhere thinks it looks good then, so let's throw it together already, without thinking of how it will look later. Some stuff ages well, others, not so much.

Tnexster
Posts: 1587
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby Tnexster » 13 May 2018 21:29

I remember when it was built and I saw if for the first time, I thought it was hideous then.

User avatar
jrd1964
Posts: 390
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 06:38

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby jrd1964 » 14 May 2018 03:06

I didn't understand it myself. It was kind of "look at me, look at me, I have more signs than the other malls". With most malls, you see signs for the anchors and the mall itself, and that's it. I guess the addition of the Hyatt will make it stand out in a different way now.

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 350
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: Frisco: Stonebriar Centre mall

Postby The_Overdog » 14 May 2018 10:22

I think it just looks like a mall, but then again I've never understood what people see in Northpark architecturally. So I may be an outlier.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Login