Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Richardson: Main Street Improvements

exelone31

Richardson: Main Street Improvements

Postby exelone31 » 19 Apr 2018 14:31

Starting a new topic as I don't believe this is already out there, but I went to a meeting last night regarding the redevelopment of Main Street in Downtown Richardson to add some really great pedestrian features. I haven't been able to find a great rendering online, but here's a limited snapshot looking down Main St toward 75.

richardson_new.png

Here's that same-ish view as it currently looks.

richardson_current.png

The big changes include:
- expanded sidewalks
- demolition of building at northwest corner of Main and Greenville (currently a Metro PCS/Cricket Mobile, I believe) to add parking
- many, many trees along the sidewalks as well as a treed median down Main St

Everything is slated to take place over the next year and a half, but it seems this could be the start of some pretty large changes for downtown Richardson. I'm curious if it will ultimately be as successful as DT Plano, Bishops or Lowest Greenville, all of which I consider to be a similar scale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Re: Richardson: Main Street Improvements

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Apr 2018 14:40

Awesome news! This area is seriously under-developed, and I could see this being as popular as Downtown Plano one day, so I'm really glad that Richardson recognizes the potential and it looks like they have a solid plan to start with.

I wonder what this means for all the existing restaurants/hookah cafes though.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 19 Apr 2018 15:12

DPatel304 wrote:I wonder what this means for all the existing restaurants/hookah cafes though.

Same here. Hopefully it end up benefiting the existing business with the increased foot traffic, but you always wondering what the impact will ultimately be. They will also be closing/re-routing Main St at points during the construction, so I will be interesting how much that affects those businesses.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Apr 2018 15:27

Hopefully none of them get 'pushed out' of the area, but I do feel like, in order for Downtown Richardson to be a walkable neighborhood, they will need more of a restaurant/retail variety.

I'd really like one of these suburban/urban areas to think big and think towards the future. By that, I mean, I hope they develop Downtown Richardson keeping in mind that there could be a Phase 2, Phase 3, or whatever into the future. Main Street could be the starting point, but, if it's a success, I don't see why they couldn't continue to develop to the north and south between 75 and Greenville, as there seems to be a lot of older buildings around here. Something like that would take decades, but hopefully they develop this first portion with future plans in mind, so, if the area does expand, it won't be such an awkward/disconnected expansion.

muncien

Postby muncien » 20 Apr 2018 09:38

- demolition of building at northwest corner of Main and Greenville (currently a Metro PCS/Cricket Mobile, I believe) to add parking

I really don't understand this at all... I get the need for parking, but you don't put it on your primary corners of the area you are trying to make walkable. Successful historic downtowns (such as Grapevine) put all the parking (other than street parking) to the rear of the corridor. If you make your downtown desirable enough, people will find the parking. One of the ways to make it desirable enough, is to not line the pedestrian corridors with parking. This so confuses me...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 20 Apr 2018 14:47

This is a total guess, but I'm thinking the idea is to put the focus of pedestrian improvements into the block between Interurban Steet and Greenville Ave, making that corner lot essentially one "end" of the corridor. They're also removing sidewalk parking in that corridor, so I suppose this is making up for that.

There was talk last year of some apartments going up near the Chase building at Main St and 75 as well, so hopefully that will kickstart the foundation of some nearby residential foot traffic.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 25 Apr 2018 08:54

Here are some renderings of what they are doing (warning large PDF-starts on slide 25). It's a pretty dramatic change, and involves a fairly large area from the Chase building on US75 to Greenville Ave past the DART tracks. Short version is they are taking away lanes from Main, Polk St, and McKinney St to widen sidewalks, add bike lanes, and add street trees, and moving to a form based code. Polk Street will be the most interesting- it will designed to be a street fair area. They are also activating the alleys in the downtown area, building some new parks, and turning a junky drainage ditch into a conservation feature. If they can pull this off, it will be very nice.

https://www.cor.net/home/showdocument?id=22501

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 26 Apr 2018 14:24

The_Overdog wrote:Here are some renderings of what they are doing (warning large PDF-starts on slide 25). It's a pretty dramatic change, and involves a fairly large area from the Chase building on US75 to Greenville Ave past the DART tracks. Short version is they are taking away lanes from Main, Polk St, and McKinney St to widen sidewalks, add bike lanes, and add street trees, and moving to a form based code. Polk Street will be the most interesting- it will designed to be a street fair area. They are also activating the alleys in the downtown area, building some new parks, and turning a junky drainage ditch into a conservation feature. If they can pull this off, it will be very nice.

https://www.cor.net/home/showdocument?id=22501

Wow, great find! Here's the grand finale rendering from that (as warned, very large) PDF. This would be a really dramatic change if done to completion. I mentioned earlier the NW corner of Greenville and Main St was going to be demolished for parking, but it looks like it's actually going to be a small park with a handful of parking spots lining it.

Overall, really really impressive.

DT_Richardson.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Apr 2018 15:17

Looks fantastic to me. Is it too unreasonable/ambitious to hope that, one day, this Downtown could stretch from the Arapaho DART station to the Spring Valley DART station. I'm getting way ahead of myself, but it would be nice to see one of these urban/suburban neighborhoods become more than just a destination that people from the suburbs will drive to on the weeknigths/weekends.