Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Plano: misc. developments

jrd1964

Plano: misc. developments

Postby jrd1964 » 07 Dec 2017 13:38

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... plano.html

Plano ISD will build a new Fine Arts center on Alma between W. Park Blvd. and 15th Street. A main auditorium will seat 1500 and include a balcony and orchestra pit. The complex will also house an art gallery. Not only will school-related events take place there, but non-school functions as well. Construction will start next summer, but a completion/opening date was not listed.

The article didn't mention it, but the Fine Arts center will likely be the de-facto substitute for the cancelled Collin County arts hall that was planned between Plano and neighboring suburbs Allen, Frisco, and McKinney.

The_Overdog

Re: Plano: misc. developments

Postby The_Overdog » 15 Dec 2017 10:43

In my opinion that's a terrible place for performing arts center mostly because nobody of school age actually lives anywhere close to it. I guess that's what you get when you have 3 high schools of equal-ish power. I mean it's next door neighbor is a huge cube storage location, a lone office building, and the rest of the land is zoned for elderly/senior housing accommodations.

No idea what they were thinking.

but the Fine Arts center will likely be the de-facto substitute for the cancelled Collin County arts hall that was planned between Plano and neighboring suburbs Allen, Frisco, and McKinney.

Yes and no. I think performing arts centers are just kind of an in-thing to build right now. Richardson and Allen currently have ones and UT-Dallas Richardson is also planning one.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 20 Dec 2017 10:02

The new US75 Plano Parkway flyover is now complete -they took away a service road lane and added it to the highway, and built a flyover lane for Plano Parkway. The result with BJs Pizza and Chipotle and whatever feel they like they are right up against the highway and you can look down upon the roofs of the buildings as you go by. There are only a few places in DFW where you get that sensation - most in downtown Dallas but also the Galleria.

I'd think that the existing structures will not last much longer with this configuration. They will eventually be bulldozed and setback farther or add additional stories.

muncien

Postby muncien » 20 Dec 2017 10:09

The_Overdog wrote:The new US75 Plano Parkway flyover is now complete -they took away a service road lane and added it to the highway, and built a flyover lane for Plano Parkway. The result with BJs Pizza and Chipotle and whatever feel they like they are right up against the highway and you can look down upon the roofs of the buildings as you go by. There are only a few places in DFW where you get that sensation - most in downtown Dallas but also the Galleria.

I'd think that the existing structures will not last much longer with this configuration. They will eventually be bulldozed and setback farther or add additional stories.

Not Plano, but the new I35E/SRT interchange is very similar. You can't even see it on internet maps yet as it's brand new, but ironically it too involves an on-ramp running above a BJ's and a Chipotle... lol
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 21 Dec 2017 09:44

Not Plano, but the new I35E/SRT interchange is very similar

Poor BJs and Chipotle. :( With the service roads shrinking (a good thing in my opinion) parts of DFW will really start to look different in the next few years.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 23 Dec 2017 22:52

The lobby portion of the Southfork Hotel on the edge of central expressway is now a giant pile of rubble. The hotel rooms off the wings were separated from the lobby and turned into another hotel. Not sure what is planned for the soon to be empty lot.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 25 Dec 2017 06:14

The_Overdog wrote:The lobby portion of the Southfork Hotel on the edge of central expressway is now a giant pile of rubble. The hotel rooms off the wings were separated from the lobby and turned into another hotel. Not sure what is planned for the soon to be empty lot.

Just noticed that a few nights ago. The main part became a Quality Inn & Suites a little while back, while the farthest wing (closest to the 16th Street turn-off from the 75-Central service road) was turned into a Studio 6. I've not heard about what's up with the torn-down part of the hotel. Good to see real brands there instead of something made up or unusally-named just to draw tourists off the highway.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 31 May 2018 08:51

Couple of downtown Plano updates:
There are port-a-potties around the closed Wendys on 15th street. That usually portends demolition, but I've not seen any plans on what could be replacing it.

50 unit multifamily request on 14th & Ave K, right across from downtown.

There is a also a request with the Historical Preservation group to demo or remove a house that is deemed 'historically significant' for Plano but really just a dumpy generic old house anywhere else. Apparently nobody wants it, so they are asking for the demo permit, and it will be replaced with townhomes.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 31 May 2018 09:33

The_Overdog wrote:Couple of downtown Plano updates:
There are port-a-potties around the closed Wendys on 15th street. That usually portends demolition, but I've not seen any plans on what could be replacing it.

50 unit multifamily request on 14th & Ave K, right across from downtown.

There is a also a request with the Historical Preservation group to demo or remove a house that is deemed 'historically significant' for Plano but really just a dumpy generic old house anywhere else. Apparently nobody wants it, so they are asking for the demo permit, and it will be replaced with townhomes.

Thanks for the updates! I'm curious to see what ultimately happens with that "gateway" to downtown Plano where Wendy's, Braum's, etc is at. They made really nice updates to the sidewalks and the cool vertical "Plano" sign, so hopefully there's some revitalization afoot.

Which house is on the docket to be moved? Just curious.

BiscuitHead

Postby BiscuitHead » 06 Jun 2018 10:12

The Wendy’s is being torn down today.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 06 Jun 2018 11:24

Which house is on the docket to be moved? Just curious.

910 17th Street. Near 17th & I.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 06 Jun 2018 22:31

I was thinking the other day that midrise infill all around the core of the downtown would be super cool!