Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Kelley USA

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby Kelley USA » 18 May 2017 13:04

I will agree with you that town-homes is more desirable than another bland stick and stucco apartment complex, which several of you on here champion, but this is the complete wrong spot for it! Adding 85 town-homes does very little to assure the sustainability of the Urban Center. Considering there are at least 5 additional apartment complexes in the planning phase, the thought of Water Street and The Music factory going away anytime soon just isn't a reality. These developments will attract people far from the Urban Center which will keep them successful for decades to come. I'd rather wait 5 years and hope for an office tower on this lot which would actually do significantly more than town-homes.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 18 May 2017 15:15

*Pssst* You guys. Most DFW townhouse developments are just as bland and blah as your typical midrise. They just hold fewer people.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 18 May 2017 18:58

I'd personally like to see more office towers rising here as well. But that will come in due time. With the residential development, at least it is bringing people and life here.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 19 May 2017 04:20

tanzoak wrote:*Pssst* You guys. Most DFW townhouse developments are just as bland and blah as your typical midrise. They just hold fewer people.

The development we are talking about is, to my understanding, a similar build to the one on the other side of Lake Carolyn Parkway. I've toured these townhomes. They are not bland or blah.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 19 May 2017 12:58

My point was that the aesthetic appeal of the development has nothing to do with townhouses vs midrise. You can (and do) have bland townhomes just as often as you have bland midrises.

I think it's perfectly legitimate to say "this is a central part of town and an important location, we should push for some high-quality design!" But again, that's not equivalent to saying we need townhouses.

I'm also not particularly blown away by the design of that townhouse development you mentioned. It's fine, but nothing to write home about imo.

Looks to have the same design aesthetic/quality as this place near where I live:

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 19 May 2017 13:02

That midrise is subsidized low-income housing, by the way. It's what happens when the city demands design.

Though tbh the lack of design review is a godsend for TX, and I wouldn't recommend the tradeoff.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 19 May 2017 23:29

tanzoak wrote:That midrise is subsidized low-income housing, by the way. It's what happens when the city demands design.

Though tbh the lack of design review is a godsend for TX, and I wouldn't recommend the tradeoff.

You live in low income housing? That's fine, I've lived in low income housing before. Those townhomes are actually quite beautiful. Those Zillow pictures don't do them justice at all. Before the first phase sold out, they had real photographs on Zillow, not CG and Google Earth style images.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 20 May 2017 00:56

Waldozer wrote:
You live in low income housing? That's fine, I've lived in low income housing before. Those townhomes are actually quite beautiful. Those Zillow pictures don't do them justice at all. Before the first phase sold out, they had real photographs on Zillow, not CG and Google Earth style images.

No, I said I lived near that development, not in it.

The point was that the product type doesn't define the quality. Defining the options as between blah midrise and nice-looking townhouses is a false choice. There is plenty of equally-attractive midrise.. architects don't suddenly lose their skills, and it can be in a variety of material not just stucco.

Maybe you prefer townhouses there, and that's fine. But it's not because that's what you have to have if you want quality.

Return to “Suburban + Exurban Development”