Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Las Colinas/North Irving Development

itsjrd1964

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Oct 2020 12:52

Kelley USA wrote:The development plan at the entrance to the Urban Center (114, O'Connor, Las Colinas Blvd) has changed. They are coming before P&Z and removing the 4 hotel concept and instead asking to build a 15 story office tower. The developers are still keeping the original office component, which is a 4 story office building on the canal closest to 114. They are also seeking to build a 10 story parking garage to accommodate workers in both office buildings. No renderings available yet, just a site plan. I do prefer an office component over 4 new hotels!

Especially right now, with existing hotels not exactly running on all cylinders due to the virus-of-the-moment. It's exciting to think our economy can use a steady pipeline of new hotels, but if all the latest ones open up empty, we're better off cooling the jets for the moment.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 Oct 2020 09:35

Interesting listen at the P&Z meeting on Monday... It seems like the proposed 15 story tower at the corner of 114, O'Connor and Las Colinas Blvd already has a potential tenant. It's being designed for a tenant that has a National & International presence. They are a AAA rated business. They have been working with the City of Irving for about 2 years now, had another location picked that just didn't work out. They had Dan Powell with BOKA Powell on via phone to discuss the project. He said it's progressing quickly! They also had Kevin O'Neill from Fidelis Realty who is representing the tenant. From what I can gather they typically work with companies in the Healthcare field, but not sure that's 100%. He did say they plan to fully activate the canal which makes me happy to hear!

Should be interesting to see if this comes to fruition and at what pace...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Oct 2020 12:52

All signs are pointing to CHRISTUS Health as the potential tenant for the proposed tower in the Urban Center. They're already headquartered in Las Colinas down off Hidden Ridge in about 225K sf, so this would almost double their space and would be a move into the Urban Center. Looks like they have about 1K employees at HQ.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Oct 2020 09:32

Not to brag, but I worked with the DBJ to break this story. :) I was hesitant to report my findings because I know the City, the developer and CHRISTUS Health weren't ready for this info to get out. Several NDA's had been signed and I'm sure CHRISTUS is still in negotiations with the City about the project. I didn't want to risk maybe CHRISTUS pulling out of the project. But I ultimately decided to pass along the info to the DBJ and exchanged a few emails with them.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... rters.html

How did I figure out CHRISTUS was the potential tenant for the new proposed tower? Well, for starters I zoomed all over the site plan to see if I could find any clues. Yep, found one on the very top left portion of the site plan that BOKA Powell had submitted to P&Z for review. In teeny tiny print the name CHRISTUS appeared along with some other numbers and letters. That was my starting point, and really enough for me to feel confident that was the tenant! Next, I did some research on Fidelis Realty. It appears that Fidelis primarily works with healthcare companies. That gave me 2 connections! Finally, Kevin O'Neill whom is with Fidelis Realty spoke at the P&Z meeting regarding the project. I found several old articles in both the DBJ and D Magazine that discussed CHRISTUS choosing Las Colinas for it's new HQ back in 2012. Kevin O'Neill, whom was with CBRE then, actually helped negotiate the lease for CHRISTUS back in 2012 and is working on the deal today. So obviously that's his client. That gave me enough to go on and I felt 99.99% sure I had figured it out.

Now just looking forward to seeing this hopefully move forward and seeing some renderings. It's been TOO long since the Urban Center has seen a new office building.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 12 Oct 2020 11:57

Nice Kelly, great sleuthing - congrats and thanks!

The article is behind a paywall, any chance we could at least get some of the renderings posted here?

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 15 Oct 2020 02:53

Nice scoop, excited to see what is in store for this plot. Will be nice to see the hometown skyline a little changed when I'm finally allowed to fly back.