Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Property Taxes

I45Tex

Property Taxes

Postby I45Tex » 20 Feb 2019 15:25

After the Medical District Urban Development thread grew fat with debate about having taxing powers for hospital districts, I noticed that the new forum’s City Issues subforum doesn’t cover this topic now.

With the state’s property-tax-centric revenue model coming up for the Texas Legislature’s reconsideration this year, will we move toward something else or just try to use it to drive wedges between urban, rural, and suburban voter groups, as the school district tax system and its loopholes have been employed to do?

The subject of county-level tax authorities is distinct from that, not distinct enough to merit a totally independent comment chain, but we’ll have to see if nonexistent comment threading here will allow productive discussion if we’re bouncing back and forth at random.

I45Tex

Re: Property Taxes

Postby I45Tex » 20 Feb 2019 15:33

#county

To start off, anybody who would like to may download this PDF of the Galleria’s owner advertising to prospective investors that the asset is privately appraised at $606,000,000 in value. The DallasCAD value is less than $182 million (70% off) and if UBS’ flagship property fund, Trumbull Diversified, sent lawyers to contest a taxable valuation of $200 million as being unfairly high to them and present evidence to talk it down, I suppose nobody would bat an eye. Why do we fume at what we pay for county services and facilities but shrug this off as the name of the profit game? If we want the county to outfox them then it needs to have more resources to work with, not fewer.

https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazo ... .__UBS.pdf