Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

The West End

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 408
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

The West End

Postby willyk » 19 Oct 2016 22:58


User avatar
art_suckz
Posts: 67
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 10:02
Location: Design District
Contact:

Re: The West End

Postby art_suckz » 24 Oct 2016 16:41

Is it possible to walk from West End to Victory straight under the overpasses? Or does one have to make a detour up to the first street north of the under-bridge parking lots?

We really need to start tying areas together, especially with the Deck Park extension heading that way.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 357
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: The West End

Postby eburress » 24 Oct 2016 17:27

Though divided by the freeway, yes, you can walk from one neighborhood to the next. Though it's not pretty or ideal, the two neighborhoods are connected.

User avatar
ebird
Posts: 14
Joined: 23 Oct 2016 20:55

Re: The West End

Postby ebird » 24 Oct 2016 23:16

art_suckz wrote:Is it possible to walk from West End to Victory straight under the overpasses?
I have done it many times. It is not big of a deal. Hopefully, redevelopment of the brewery property will add some interest to the area.

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 408
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: The West End

Postby willyk » 25 Oct 2016 20:03

The old Dallas Alley takes you to arches under the freeway to a plaza to Hooter's. It's not a bad walk. The fact that the Market was derelict is what made it off-putting.

When the Factory is done and the Victory retail comes on line, there will be plenty of people traversing the Vast Underwoodall.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1396
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: The West End

Postby tamtagon » 26 Oct 2016 22:29

I've always thought the overpass would provide great shelter for bicycle parking and service station.

User avatar
dukemeredith
Posts: 256
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:17
Location: Downtown Dallas

Re: The West End

Postby dukemeredith » 27 Oct 2016 11:34

I drove through the area last night, and it's surprisingly clean and accessible. It would be a great entertainment space, once that part of West End gets more energy.

And I see it everyday, but am still blown away by all that is presently happening in VP...

Tnexster
Posts: 1667
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: The West End

Postby Tnexster » 27 Oct 2016 12:40

Still what I see under the bridge is darkness, I wish they had some way to funnel sunlight under the bridge, like a giant solatube or series of them.

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 408
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: The West End

Postby willyk » 27 Oct 2016 22:38

It doesn't have to be dead. (Under the El in CHI.)

Image

User avatar
dch526
Posts: 63
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 09:12

Re: The West End

Postby dch526 » 08 Nov 2016 10:17

Blue Cross Blue Shield Innovation Unit Heads to West End

BCBS Innovation will take about 25,000 square feet of space at the former Dallas Marketplace building at Market Street and Munger Avenue, which is being redone by Granite Properties into a high-tech, creative office space.


https://www.dallasinnovates.com/blue-cross-blue-shield-innovation-unit-heads-west-end/

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 408
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: The West End

Postby willyk » 20 Dec 2016 19:56

Heard something about LPC -- wassup dat?


DPatel304
Posts: 1084
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: The West End

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Dec 2016 01:13

What exactly does this mean for West End?

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 408
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: The West End

Postby willyk » 21 Dec 2016 03:48

Why not the buildings on Lamar, which could be redeveloped?

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1396
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: The West End

Postby tamtagon » 21 Dec 2016 08:31

Hopefully it means a thousand new condos, wider sidewalks and Houston complete street-ed into first a pedestrian and cycling corridor between Reverchon Park, Design District, Victory Park, West End, Historic Downtown Dallas, Convention and Tourism center and the HSR Station and second a vehicular service road for residents of the area.

User avatar
gshelton91
Posts: 65
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 11:01

Re: The West End

Postby gshelton91 » 21 Dec 2016 09:26

willyk wrote:It doesn't have to be dead. (Under the El in CHI.)

Image


I agree it would not take a lot to make the underpass workable -- They could place some restaurant incubators under the freeway using Cargo Containers but the big thing they need to do is fix the issue with all the birds roosting in the overpass and pooping everywhere... no one wants to get pooped on.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1070
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: The West End

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Dec 2016 10:55

gshelton91 wrote:
willyk wrote:It doesn't have to be dead. (Under the El in CHI.)

Image


I agree it would not take a lot to make the underpass workable -- They could place some restaurant incubators under the freeway using Cargo Containers but the big thing they need to do is fix the issue with all the birds roosting in the overpass and pooping everywhere... no one wants to get pooped on.



Ive always thought the same as well. However, I think something similar to the Markets you see in London. Where vendors rent out shacks and they sell food and artisanal goods and gifts. Think Borough Market or Camden Market

Imagine small brick n mortar shacks under there that the city could rent out! It would activate frog alley.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
dukemeredith
Posts: 256
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:17
Location: Downtown Dallas

Re: The West End

Postby dukemeredith » 21 Dec 2016 13:01

Tivo_Kenevil wrote: Ive always thought the same as well. However, I think something similar to the Markets you see in London. Where vendors rent out shacks and they sell food and artisanal goods and gifts. Think Borough Market or Camden Market

Imagine small brick n mortar shacks under there that the city could rent out! It would activate frog alley.



I love this idea!

DPatel304
Posts: 1084
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: The West End

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Dec 2016 13:09

I had a chance to check out Borough market a little over a year ago, and I had the exact same thought about the underpass here.

User avatar
Jbarn
Posts: 51
Joined: 05 Nov 2016 18:58

Re: The West End

Postby Jbarn » 21 Dec 2016 19:54

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
gshelton91 wrote:
willyk wrote:It doesn't have to be dead. (Under the El in CHI.)

Image


I agree it would not take a lot to make the underpass workable -- They could place some restaurant incubators under the freeway using Cargo Containers but the big thing they need to do is fix the issue with all the birds roosting in the overpass and pooping everywhere... no one wants to get pooped on.



Ive always thought the same as well. However, I think something similar to the Markets you see in London. Where vendors rent out shacks and they sell food and artisanal goods and gifts. Think Borough Market or Camden Market

Imagine small brick n mortar shacks under there that the city could rent out! It would activate frog alley.


Dallas would never, ever allow something such as this. Wouldn't meet the myriad requirements the city requires, which stifles anything neat and edgy like this becoming a reality in this city.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1447
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: The West End

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Dec 2016 12:22

I would argue as well TXDOT wouldn't be amenable to this either. It adds complexity to their management and maintenance of the highways. Unless you have a TXDOT manager on a level that wants to bridge that gap you won't get anywhere to fixing anything under any highway overpasses.

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 728
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Cypress Waters

Re: The West End

Postby muncien » 22 Dec 2016 13:10

I don't believe it's as difficult as we're making it out to be. Many years ago (prior to Perot Museum), the parking lot under Woodall Rogers Fwy along Field st, would have an occasional flea market dealio. I'm sure there are forms to fill out, fees to pay, and exemptions to obtain, but clearly it's possible and has been done before.
This is the type of thing the city should focus on streamlining instead of lining the pockets of consultants who have cozy relationships city leadership, only to create different iterations of water color paintings of fictional tollways interacting peacefully with fictional parks. Sorry... got a little carried away there.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1447
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: The West End

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Dec 2016 14:35

A temporary flea market that happens a few times a year is very different than building a structure that inhibits and prevents TXDOT from maintaining and making changes to the freeway overpass above. I am simply playing the devil's advocate here because TXDOT would prefer the easier route where they don't have to change a thing or add additional hoops to their job which is to build and maintain the highway system.

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 408
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: The West End

Postby willyk » 24 Dec 2016 04:09

/\

This is the SoWa Open Market in Boston--a great example of what could be done here under the freeway and spilling out into the plaza and into the West End.

It would happen on weekends and feature pop up stands with artists, artisans, collectors, crafters, food, etc. Dallas is teeming with vendors who are dying for a venue like this where they sell could what they make.

The logistics are relatively simple and would not get in the way of TXDOT operations. Some organization like the West End Association, or an entrepreneur, would get the permits, provide porta-potties, a little security and sanitation, register vendors and assign spots, and market the event to vendors and the public. After that it's off to the races.

Maybe a couple of forum readers want to take on a new project.

Image

Image

Image

http://www.sowaboston.com/sowa-open-market/

User avatar
texasstar
Posts: 116
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 22:39

Re: The West End

Postby texasstar » 31 Dec 2016 17:56

^ Saw this in July. It was amazing how huge it was. Boston (in the summer) is now my favorite city outside of Dallas.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login