Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown Progress

cowboyeagle05

Re: Downtown Progress

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Dec 2018 19:07

The article is an opinion piece written by Kourtney G. from Downtown Dallas Inc. Its merely a cheerleading article meant to just stir up interest from those who may be interested in the work Downtown Dallas Inc is doing. It's just another PR piece for those who don't know the nuts and bolts of what's really going on. I would largely ignore it. There are some positives but she is just doing what Downtown Dallas Inc does which is add a curtain over the details of what's not working and still needs work.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 27 Dec 2018 22:18

Downtown needs better sidewalk And more Residential

eburress

Postby eburress » 28 Dec 2018 09:48

Indeed, and fewer dead zones.

willyk

Postby willyk » 29 Dec 2018 04:35

I agree—-I think that a lot of downtown land sits idle for decades because it is zoned and priced for 50 story office towers that the market will not support.

The low rise residential in the Farmers Market seems to be doing well. If developers don’t want to be that low, then some 10-12 story residential like City Lights would make for some nice projects that would do well downtown.

As far as retail, I think VP is setting a good example. They are bringing in a good mix of destination restaraunts plus franchises and service businesses that will serve the locals. That would work downtown too.