Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Dallas Bond Election 2017

Tnexster

Dallas Bond Election 2017

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jan 2017 15:15

If Dallas doesn't move ahead with bond package in May, it's apocalypse now

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comme ... alypse-now

Way back in 2006 the Dallas City Council said our streets needed to be 87 percent satisfactory. I forget why or how they settled on a B-plus -- maybe it was because they couldn't count any higher.

Ever since then our streets have been on a long, slow slide toward a failing grade, like I have to tell you. But we were warned. Way back in April 2015, when assistant city manager Mark McDaniel told the council that if the city doesn't don't do something pronto, by the time the calendar hits 2017 only 69.8 percent of Dallas' thoroughfares will be considered "satisfactory." By which I think he meant "driveable."

Tnexster

Re: Dallas Bond Election 2017

Postby Tnexster » 05 Jan 2017 15:11

When Dallas disappears down a pothole, go ahead and thank your City Council

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comme ... ty-council

A little before 4 on Wednesday afternoon, I was hanging out behind the City Council's briefing room at City Hall, hoping to catch some council members as they beat a retreat to their offices downstairs. The council had just done the once unimaginable, straw-voting 9-5 to postpone a long-awaited, $800 million May bond package that we were promised would mostly go toward repairing Dallas' rotten streets. So I thought I'd ask them, ya know, What the what?

Most of the council ducked into the stairwell behind the briefing room. That included Mayor Mike Rawlings, who kicked off the bond briefing by giving five reasons why the council should punt the bond program to November. Among his reasons: The "supporters who write big checks" to push bond packages "said they will not be writing those checks" this time, which was a weird thing to say, because, well, so what? We, the little people, know what we, the little people, need. The big people can go stuff their checks in a pothole.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 05 Jan 2017 15:25

Almost comically unbelievable.

Almost.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Jan 2017 15:27

The trajectory Dallas is on these days.....I would believe anything.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 05 Jan 2017 15:47

There is an upside: When everyone's personal cars are destroyed by potholes the citizens will support transit projects!

Admin010

Postby Admin010 » 20 Mar 2017 05:45

Many and more individuals may overlook the importance of voting. In whichever election, whether you participate or not, election results will be derived based on the number of votes presented. Some people feel that for whichever particular post all the candidates are the same; why bother voting then? Anyone with such an attitude ought to be conscious that the election results will have an impact in his/her life as well as also in the lives of his/her children.
Thanks& regards,
Angel anave
election equipment|ballot boxes

Return to “City Issues/News”