Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Corporate Relocations/Expansions

Cord1936

Re: Corporate Relocations/Expansions

Postby Cord1936 » 04 Jan 2018 18:49

Tnexster wrote:I love these small relocations, they are easy to squeeze into existing office space and they usually grow once they they get here.

^^^^^^^
Exactly! Small has a way of getting much bigger over time. Just looking at LST's plans for this year their new Dallas corporate office will go from 10 people up to 30 ... in percentage terms that is staggering growth in one year!

Multiply that example by how many other smaller companies moving here and doing the same thing and the organic growth to the Dallas economy starts to really add up ...

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Jan 2018 20:03

Not a small one, but there's also Commercicial Metal in Irving growing through acquisition. #535 on the Fortune 1000 list, the $600 million purchase adds 2,700 employees and is likely to move that company up the high profile list. Not sure if many new local jobs result.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 09 Jan 2018 17:19

Report: Dallas could be in the sights of another tech giant — Google

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/tec ... ant-google

According to Crain's, Google is looking for a regional hub outside its Mountain View, Calif. headquarters, and it plans to have between 1,000 and 5,000 people in the new location.
Crain's cited unnamed sources who say the company is in "advanced discussions" with a few cities, including Chicago, Atlanta, and Boston in addition to Dallas. Interestingly, all are cities that have often been mentioned as potential HQ2 sites.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Jan 2018 17:49

Not bad, but that's definitely some stiff competition. I wonder if all the HQ2 buzz helped draw more attention on Dallas. No doubt that DFW has been in the spotlight for a while, but, because of Amazon, we now have renderings available to the whole country of what could be possible in Dallas.

My vote is on Boston for Google's new regional hub.

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Jan 2018 18:45

Bring 'em both home to the Silicon Skyline (a.k.a., Big D)!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Jan 2018 19:03

eburress wrote:Bring 'em both home to the Silicon Skyline (a.k.a., Big D)!

We call it the Silicone Prairie 'round these parts amigo.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Jan 2018 19:08

Actually I like the idea of a smaller relocation over something like 50,000. It's much easier to absorb something in the 5,000 range.

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Jan 2018 20:15

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

Silicon Prairie refers to the broader North Texas area, but Silicon Skyline refers specifically to central Dallas, which will become a tech hub with HQ2 and G2. :)

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Jan 2018 20:30

eburress wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

Silicon Prairie refers to the broader North Texas area, but Silicon Skyline refers specifically to central Dallas, which will become a tech hub with HQ2 and G2. :)

Yep. But it's wishful thinking that both will relocate to DTD. We'll be lucky if we get 1.

eburress

Postby eburress » 10 Jan 2018 07:41

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
eburress wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

Yep. But it's wishful thinking that both will relocate to DTD. We'll be lucky if we get 1.

Oh I know. It was mostly wishful thinking and a little bit of schtick too.

In reality, if Google were to relocate I expect it's most likely that they would be looking at a campus in Legacy, similar to their Mountain View HQ. One can dream though. :)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jan 2018 09:28

It just depends on what type of employee they are targeting. They may be targeting similar millennial employees that Amazon wants that desire more urban locations. The dotcom campuses of Southern California are still more of a thing there than anywhere else. Yes, we have suburban office complexes but the dotcoms don't just do suburban buildings they build a lifestyle into their campuses, unlike even today's most advanced traditional corporate companies. Toyota, Chase and State Farm built some nice campuses with amenities for sure but they are nothing compared to the playgrounds that are the HQ's for Facebook and Google. Google, Amazon, and Facebook need to have options to compete. The urban walkable stuff some like to dismiss is still an option some of these companies don't have in their existing office space stock.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 11 Jan 2018 11:53

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It just depends on what type of employee they are targeting.

Google (and similar companies) target intelligent, focused, motivated workaholics without any kind of life outside of work. That's why they have 24 hour free food, onsite bars, gyms, dry cleaners, playrooms, etc... -- so the employees never have to leave the office. And this business model works very well for them.

For these kind of folks it doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood the office is located in -- because they rarely see the outside world.

And no, this is neither tongue-in-cheek or exaggeration. It's the reality of Silicon Valley. Look at Apple's new HQ building.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jan 2018 15:14

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:It just depends on what type of employee they are targeting.

Google (and similar companies) target intelligent, focused, motivated workaholics without any kind of life outside of work. That's why they have 24 hour free food, onsite bars, gyms, dry cleaners, playrooms, etc... -- so the employees never have to leave the office. And this business model works very well for them.

For these kind of folks it doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood the office is located in -- because they rarely see the outside world.

And no, this is neither tongue-in-cheek or exaggeration. It's the reality of Silicon Valley. Look at Apple's new HQ building.

I am aware but it depends on what divisions of the company they would be locating employees for. Not every employee is locked up doing code. These companies are working in a lot of areas now including customer service and logistics areas where they might need a different office environment to attract certain talent.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 11 Jan 2018 18:12

Please let it be HQ2!

ImageDowntown Dallas, June 2017, on Flickr

PMRG: Dallas-Fort Worth still has one big relocation on the horizon
By Candace Carlisle, Dallas Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018, 2:59pm

After some big companies relocating to North Texas took occupancy of their new homes last year, PMRG Executive Vice President Kurt Cherry says he expects to see one more big move to the region before the real estate cycle ends.
The longtime real estate executive says he believes another 500,000-square-foot to 1 million-square-foot deal could be on the region's horizon this year. Cherry declined to comment on specific market knowledge, but said the region is keyed up for another big deal.

"Some people think the big corporate relocations are done for a while, but I think with the educated workforce we have here and the business-friendly environment, I think we'll have one more announcement," he added.

Dallas-Fort Worth ranks as the No. 4 region in the country based on its number of Fortune 500 headquarters. Last year, North Texas added 100,400 jobs, making 2017 the fourth year in a row that the region added more than 100,000 positions.
Article: https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2018/01/09/pmrg-dallas-fort-worth-still-has-one-big.html

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Jan 2018 09:19

My hope is still for the two-fer, Google AND Amazon

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Jan 2018 11:38

I have a suspicion HQ2 may reduce the 10 year plan for 50,000 workers, 7-8,000,000 sq ft of space etc as the whole dealio plays out. Look for caveats in the incentive package outlining what's good for what.

Among most presumed top candidates, Dallas/Plano probably has ths strongest background for AWS product, EDS, Perot, ACS being some of the biggest players over the decades. Also Dallas/Plano is highly visible in brick & mortar retail, especially with Amazon Division Whole Foods just down the road in Austin.

Dallas/Plano by itself is compelling market to house Google regional whatever they intend; this is one that could land in Fort Worth; If downtown Dallas starts hosting honking-big offices like this from whatever, I absolutely want downtown Fort Worth to gain the same. Transit node being an important benefit in the string of RFPs dangling out there, the Regional benefit increases for ALL individuals if travel between Downtown Dallas and Downtown Fort Worth is convenient, efficient and non-burdensome. Specifically TRE must grow capacity; adjacent commuter rail from DTFW to the airport is the icing on the cake to improve the quality and variety of life metrics in Dallas, Irving and Fort Worth - it really is good everyone.

eburress

Postby eburress » 16 Jan 2018 18:44

Didn't someone at Hillwood (I'm too lazy to look) say they wouldn't be surprised if Amazon ended up splitting their HQ2 across more than a single city in a recent interview? Your suspicion may not be far off.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jan 2018 07:53

Apple is gearing up to build another corporate campus in a yet-to-be-announced American city and increase its workforce across the U.S. by 20,000 new employees over the next five years, the iPhone maker said Wednesday.

The news comes packaged with Apple’s announcement Wednesday that it plans to invest a total of $350 billion into the U.S. economy between now and the end of 2023.

Cupertino-based Apple says that investment will come through increased spending in manufacturing, capital expenditures, hiring, product sales and company and employee tax payments, including about $38 billion in repatriation tax payments as part of recent changes to tax laws.

“Apple is a success story that could only have happened in America, and we are proud to build on our long history of support for the U.S. economy,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement Wednesday. “We believe deeply in the power of American ingenuity, and we are focusing our investments in areas where we can have a direct impact on job creation and job preparedness. We have a deep sense of responsibility to give back to our country and the people who help make our success possible.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ce=twitter

I can't tell if the article is simply jumping to conclusions here. The quotes from Apple don't seem to indicate, to me, that they are building a new campus somewhere and there is definitely nothing, at this time, to indicate DFW has a shot if a new campus is being built. Either way, take it for what it's worth.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jan 2018 08:24

Atlanta, GA
Austin, TX
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Columbus, OH
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Indianapolis, IN
Los Angeles, CA
Miami, FL
Montgomery County, MD
Nashville, TN
Newark, NJ
New York City, NY
Northern Virginia, VA
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Raleigh, NC
Toronto, ON
Washington D.C.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/18/amazo ... e=facebook

The "short" list contains 20 cities, so not really much of a short list at all.

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 Jan 2018 09:17

DPatel304 wrote:
Apple is gearing up to build another corporate campus in a yet-to-be-announced American city and increase its workforce across the U.S. by 20,000 new employees over the next five years, the iPhone maker said Wednesday.

The news comes packaged with Apple’s announcement Wednesday that it plans to invest a total of $350 billion into the U.S. economy between now and the end of 2023.

Cupertino-based Apple says that investment will come through increased spending in manufacturing, capital expenditures, hiring, product sales and company and employee tax payments, including about $38 billion in repatriation tax payments as part of recent changes to tax laws.

“Apple is a success story that could only have happened in America, and we are proud to build on our long history of support for the U.S. economy,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement Wednesday. “We believe deeply in the power of American ingenuity, and we are focusing our investments in areas where we can have a direct impact on job creation and job preparedness. We have a deep sense of responsibility to give back to our country and the people who help make our success possible.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ce=twitter

I can't tell if the article is simply jumping to conclusions here. The quotes from Apple don't seem to indicate, to me, that they are building a new campus somewhere and there is definitely nothing, at this time, to indicate DFW has a shot if a new campus is being built. Either way, take it for what it's worth.

I think all these tech companies are realizing that there is a talent shortage in California, and the talent that is there costs quite a bit and still lives within a limited means do to the astronomical cost of living. They don't have much of a choice but to branch out if they intend to expand.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Jan 2018 09:44

Why Reno though?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Jan 2018 09:45

I wont be surprised as most of the TechnoGiants open significant operations & decision making offices in North Texas; not just American Techno companies either. Nexus is a leftover corporate buzz word from the turn of the century, that has growing application to describe the North Texas employment center.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Jan 2018 09:47

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Why Reno though?

Tahoe is beautiful, and there's a galactic-sized battery factory in the area....

muncien

Postby muncien » 19 Jan 2018 11:31

I saw this in Business Insider article...
Apple's new campus is unlikely to be located in California, where the tech company's headquarters are housed at its sleek "spaceship" Apple Park campus in Cupertino, or in Texas, where it has facilities in Austin that house customer service and some computer assembly operations, said Cook in an interview with ABC News on Wednesday.

No explanation given though...
http://www.businessinsider.com/r-apple-says-it-will-decide-new-campus-site-without-an-auction-2018-1

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Jan 2018 12:22

Apple will likely want a suburban campus, correct? Seems like there is very little information given here, so I won't hold my breath for Texas, but it's cool that Amazon, Apple, and Google are all scoping out new locations.

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Jan 2018 12:30

DPatel304 wrote:Apple will likely want a suburban campus, correct? Seems like there is very little information given here, so I won't hold my breath for Texas, but it's cool that Amazon, Apple, and Google are all scoping out new locations.

I'm guessing this is because of Texas' social policies/politics.

muncien

Postby muncien » 19 Jan 2018 13:02

eburress wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:Apple will likely want a suburban campus, correct? Seems like there is very little information given here, so I won't hold my breath for Texas, but it's cool that Amazon, Apple, and Google are all scoping out new locations.

I'm guessing this is because of Texas' social policies/politics.

Possible, sure... but not likely.
I doubt they support one-child policy or brutality in Tibet but that doesn't stop them from doing significant business in china. For most corporations its all about $$$.

But in that sense, Apple is a bit different than Amazon in that they'll try to maintain a more premium character (even at a cost), while Amazon is a bit more 'thrifty'.

I would expect places like Boston or NYC to fit Apple better than a Dallas or Atlanta.