Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

FC Dallas is really good ya'll

THRILLHO

FC Dallas is really good ya'll

Postby THRILLHO » 26 Oct 2016 22:07

We are fighting to be the first team to ever win the Major League Soccer Treble which involves winning three trophies: The US Open Cup, the Supporters Shield (given to the team with the best season record), and the MLS Cup. We won the first a couple months ago, and we just won the second one on Sunday. The playoff road to the MLS Cup is just now starting and it's the best season FCD has ever had.

Any other FCD fans here?

DPatel304

Re: FC Dallas is really good ya'll

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Nov 2016 12:24

Good for them! I'm a casual soccer fan, but really only get into the sport around World Cup time. If FC Dallas played somewhere closer to Downtown, I wouldn't mind being a season ticket holder (at least back when I actually lived in Uptown).

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 15 Dec 2016 04:10

Has FC Dallas played anywhere beside Frisco in its existance? Would be fantastic to a see a deal having them moved to the Cotton Bowl. Although I'm not even certain the stadium could support a soccer field.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Dec 2016 08:35

As the Dallas Burn, they played in the Cotton Bowl until about a decade ago, give or take.

Cotton Bowl is just too big for regular season soccer; with seating for 90,000+, a good game played before 25,000 would be lessened by the empty seats. Who knows if MLS will ever move up to such big stadiums. Of the stadiums used by Liga MX, only Mexico City's América play in a stadium close to the size of the Cotton Bowl, which holds 84,000. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liga_MX). Looks like Liga MX stadiums have capacity similar to typical American baseball stadiums.

The notion has been floated around before, even gaining a big write up by D Magazine (I think) that maybe soccer in Dallas would be better suited to membership in Liga MX....

muncien

Postby muncien » 15 Dec 2016 08:39

A modern, more urban stadium seating 25-30k incorporated into the Valley View mall site would be sweet. I just have a feeling the current plans for that place are too ambitious and without bringing anything new to the table, we'll just end up with blocks and blocks of 4/5 story stick apartments in the end.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Dec 2016 10:44

^Ambitious renovation and upgrade plans for Dallas Municipal Auditorium would be a sweet site, too! Bring in the WNBA from Arlington, MLS from Frisco into the most versatile, adaptable and !! Stunning !! Auditorium/Stadium in North America.

With seating configurations from 5,000 to 40,000 and the dynamic structural capabilities to enjoy the indoor or outdoor climate best suited to your event, Dallas' Municipal Auditorium is mere footsteps away from the sophistication, entertainment and accommodations found only in one of the biggest cities of North America. Trade groups, professional associations and all variety of exhibitions combine the ever-flexible meeting space of the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center, the on-site convenience of a 1,000 room Luxury Hotel and the pinnacle of presentation at the Municipal Auditorium to stage outstanding industry get-togethers. Country, Pop, Rock, Hip Hop and just about any other type of music is on performance through out the year, booked in between Professional Women's Basketball and Concacaf Futbol. The Dallas Municipal Auditorium is truly a place to find it all.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 24 Feb 2017 14:26

Just bumping this thread in honor of last night's 4-0 thumping of Arabe Unido in the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal opener.

This team looks really, really solid at first blush. Did any other forum folks catch the game?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Mar 2017 16:31

I did. I am a member of the Dallas Beer Guardians so I watching all the games now. They are a very inclusive a diverse group. I do despise the drive to Frisco though. The reality is they are renovating the stadium to add the Soccer Hall of Fame so the team is going nowhere.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 06 Mar 2017 12:05

Yeah I don't think a move anywhere is in the cards anytime soon. That said, it is nice to see the infrastructure improvements that are happening over the next couple years. It reminds me of when the years the Rangers went to the World Series, which spurred some great upgrades to the ballpark.

I'm looking forward to the CONCACAF Champions League game against Pachuca next week. I think it's safe to assume there will be far more visiting fans than there were for Arabe Unido, so should be pretty raucous.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 08 Mar 2017 21:47

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/soccer/2017/03/08/fc-dallas-rolls-1-fan-payment-program?f=r

This is a really interesting move by FC Dallas. Basically, FC Dallas will reserve 1% of the proceeds from the sale of any player and distribute the 1% evenly among all the Season Ticket Members, based off each member's number of seats.

To start, they'll distribute 1% of the $2.8M received from the transfer of Fabian Castillo, made official several weeks back.

It's not a large amount of money on the grand scale ($28K for this particular transaction), but is a really cool idea, and a good way to please their existing fan base while potentially gaining more Season Ticket Members.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 07 Apr 2017 11:49

Anybody headed up to Frisco for the game this weekend?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Apr 2017 17:26

I was there and will be for the time being since I joined the Dallas Beer Guardians. They take residence in the parking lot for tailgates at every game, including free food and free beer provided by Peticolas and in the stadium in the beer garden at the south end of the stadium. I also attend all the away game watching parties at BBC like this Friday FC Dallas vs San Jose

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 11 Apr 2017 22:02

I've got tickets on the west side of the stadium, and was able to get down to the beer garden for the second half of the home opener. AWESOME vibe down there! The tailgate was great too.

Late one this week, hope they can keep up the good form!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Apr 2017 22:39

Ah, FCD...Been a fan since '05 back when Juan Toja/Arturo Alvarez were with with the Hoops... They're looking solid again this year. Hopefully, we can get that elusive LH Trophy this year.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 14 Apr 2017 16:09

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Ah, FCD...Been a fan since '05 back when Juan Toja/Arturo Alvarez were with with the Hoops... They're looking solid again this year. Hopefully, we can get that elusive LH Trophy this year.

I'd say this is definitely one of the better teams they've had in quite some time. Great shot at the trophy.

With the development in Plano/Frisco picking up the way it is, I'm hoping they can have more of a built-in fanbase within walking distance. They've sold out their two home games thus far (caveat: limited seating capacity with construction ongoing), which is a positive. It could really be a turning point year in terms of on-field success translating to butts in seats.

Return to “The Pitch”