Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Dallas Museum of Art

tamtagon
Site Admin

Dallas Museum of Art

Postby tamtagon » 15 Jun 2018 11:48

I don't think the vaulting comments included in the DMN article overstate the importance of this gift.

Margaret McDermott rocks!

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/visual- ... museum-art

Works by Monet, Degas, Renoir, Picasso will live at DMA, thanks to 'transformative' McDermott collection

Michael Granberry, Arts Writer

“In one fell swoop, you just became a much more important museum.”

“truly transformative” collection, one that sharply elevates the Dallas museum and the cultural profile of Dallas-Fort Worth “one of the most important collections of impressionist and modern art in the United States .... It gives the area great strengths in impressionist and modern painting,” Lee said. “People interested in that art will come from all over the world to see the collections here. This is a wonderful thing. It is extraordinary.”

“will bring shape and give international importance in a particular way to the DMA’s existing collection of impressionist and modern art.”

As Brettell noted: “The DMA now has four paintings by Monet, and, with the McDermott [collection], it will have seven. ... Its four wonderful major works by Degas will be joined by two masterpieces.”

This museum is climbing the ladder, it's remarkable. 20 years ago I pined for the DMA to come up with a combination of art {like this gift from MMcD with The Kier Collection of Islamic Art}, but would have only been able to hope it would happen. IT HAPPENED, this is a big deal, maybe not in the world, but certainly in the country.

jrd1964

Re: Dallas Museum of Art

Postby jrd1964 » 15 Jun 2018 17:02

Some might think this part of the country could hold one sorta-all right museum... but no. We are much more fortunate--we have several good--well, dare I say *great* museums in the area. And now, even more impressionist pieces in a collection here. IMO, you can't have enough of those! Sincere thanks, Mrs. McDermott. Your wonderful gift just made downtown Dallas--and our little corner of the art world--an even more beautiful place.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 26 Jun 2018 09:36

Speaking of beauty, jrd... hate the game, not the player, I suppose, but will Dallas have ever "arrived" before a discussion like that one actually includes the word beauty? I read the article; I sure noticed profile, impact, importance, check box, check box, extraordinariness, tourism magnet, endowment, blah de blah. The first time in the party it occurred to anyone to remember something like humanity or beauty was in the comments thread, where someone said it about the philanthropist herself. We're so attracted to touting our relevance we forget what would be relevant.

Great art and beauty is more often about giving than getting. A person's taste can be a good and truly laborious, if enjoyable, endeavor for them to develop in themselves, but having a really big cache of great and thoughtful art around hasn't been able to bring tasteful people closer to reality and thoughtfulness so far. Dallas is super hung up on getting.

We almost seem to like art that *doesn't* change our taste in that regard, or threaten our conception of our worth and relevance. That starts to neuter it and us. This's a grief.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Jun 2018 11:15

I45Tex wrote:Speaking of beauty, jrd... hate the game, not the player, I suppose, but will Dallas have ever "arrived" before a discussion like that one actually includes the word beauty? I read the article; I sure noticed profile, impact, importance, check box, check box, extraordinariness, tourism magnet, endowment, blah de blah. The first time in the party it occurred to anyone to remember something like humanity or beauty was in the comments thread, where someone said it about the philanthropist herself. We're so attracted to touting our relevance we forget what would be relevant.

Great art and beauty is more often about giving than getting. A person's taste can be a good and truly laborious, if enjoyable, endeavor for them to develop in themselves, but having a really big cache of great and thoughtful art around hasn't been able to bring tasteful people closer to reality and thoughtfulness so far. Dallas is super hung up on getting.

We almost seem to like art that *doesn't* change our taste in that regard, or threaten our conception of our worth and relevance. That starts to neuter it and us. This's a grief.

I know that's right.

It's part of the Texas Way, selling to everyone else that what we've got is just as good or better as what they've got. Self-conscious because of immensely high standards?

I would be worried or at least concerned about the art scene except for two things, Dallas Contemporary and the Dallas Arts Fair. Both show the evolution of the culture of art appreciation beyond the well hung museums.