Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1070
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jan 2018 18:24

Someone Post pic with the LEDs turned on

User avatar
texasstar
Posts: 116
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 22:39

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby texasstar » 26 Jan 2018 13:14

Wow, that's kinda artsy!!!!

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 252
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby dallaz » 26 Feb 2018 13:45

New downtown Dallas tower opens for first tenants

Law firm Baker McKenzie has opened its new Dallas office in the 1900 Pearl building at Pearl Street and Woodall Rodgers Freeway.


https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... st-tenants

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin
Posts: 179
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:47
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby dfwcre8tive » 17 Apr 2018 14:31

Mark di Suvero's Proverb, which was once on this site, is now enjoying a wilder life at Tippet Rise in Montana.

Image

Image

Image

Story: https://news.artnet.com/exhibitions/tip ... ero-567428

Sculpture removal video: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/time- ... iece-piece

Best Sculpture Parks in the U.S.: https://www.curbed.com/2017/4/14/152610 ... ted-states

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 688
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Apr 2018 15:14

dfwcre8tive wrote:Mark di Suvero's Proverb, which was once on this site, is now enjoying a wilder life at Tippet Rise in Montana.

Image

Image

Image

Story: https://news.artnet.com/exhibitions/tip ... ero-567428

Sculpture removal video: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/time- ... iece-piece

Best Sculpture Parks in the U.S.: https://www.curbed.com/2017/4/14/152610 ... ted-states


They should've moved this to the east lawn of Klyde Warren where the large fountain was planned then abandoned.

I'm sure it's much happier with the cows in Montana though.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 314
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby exelone31 » 18 Apr 2018 09:11

Wow, that looks waaaaaaaay cooler out there.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1447
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Apr 2018 09:33

lakewoodhobo wrote:
They should've moved this to the east lawn of Klyde Warren where the large fountain was planned then abandoned.

I'm sure it's much happier with the cows in Montana though.


I would imagine the weight of the piece could be problematic without properly customized foundations to distribute the weight of the steel beams. Plus the KWPark Foundation already knows the fountain would be coming to that end so no use spending money they don't have on supporting a sculpture that will be moved within the next 5 years.

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 356
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby The_Overdog » 18 Apr 2018 09:49

That looks like a bright red, broken windmill out there in Montana.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1396
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 18 Apr 2018 10:19

exelone31 wrote:Wow, that looks waaaaaaaay cooler out there.


word

Roman_Patrick
Posts: 39
Joined: 16 Jan 2018 14:12

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Roman_Patrick » 20 Apr 2018 08:03

Am I the only one that finds the pics of the structure in Montana a bit hilarious?
I am glad it looks happy there but i think its so funny that its hanging out with the cows LOL

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 728
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Cypress Waters

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby muncien » 20 Apr 2018 09:47

It's as if it's in exile... Did someone confuse this for a Confederate sculpture during that fracas, or what?
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 408
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby willyk » 25 Jun 2018 23:11

I find this very encouraging. We’ll need more towers soon.

“With Maverick Capital's lease, almost half the office space at 1900 Pearl is spoken for.“

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ess-tenant

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1447
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jun 2018 12:08

Banks in the Dallas market have been less than enthusiastic to lend for towers that don't have a headliner tenant signed. Banks are not lending just because a developer has a good name like Hillwood or Trammel Crow. Tenants that are willing to move here are also not usually wanting to wait on construction start and finish timelines. They want to sign and move in within 6-8 months. What we have a is a sort of standoff unless you have someone like Harwood who seems to always have a tenant in their back pocket for leasing new buildings they start building.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 537
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby R1070 » 12 Jul 2018 21:49

There are LED lights lit up on the lines on the front of the building and it looks good.

Tnexster
Posts: 1667
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 29 Aug 2018 17:19

Steward Health Care officially moves HQ to Dallas

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... allas.html

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 357
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby eburress » 29 Aug 2018 18:06

I don't have a bizjournals subscription but another site stated "Steward's corporate executive team of about 100 moved to the new building."

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1396
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 29 Aug 2018 18:57

This will be another Fortune 500 HQ downtown.

User avatar
dukemeredith
Posts: 256
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:17
Location: Downtown Dallas

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby dukemeredith » 29 Aug 2018 20:20

tamtagon wrote:This will be another Fortune 500 HQ downtown.



I’m not seeing this company on the Fortune 500 list... am I missing it?

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1396
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 29 Aug 2018 21:13

dukemeredith wrote:
tamtagon wrote:This will be another Fortune 500 HQ downtown.



I’m not seeing this company on the Fortune 500 list... am I missing it?


Boston based Steward merged with Nashville area IASIS in 2017, projected annual revenue in 2018 almost ~8 Billion. Probably central location brought the big wigs to Dallas?

https://www.steward.org/1/article/stewa ... ment-merge

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 452
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Tucy » 29 Aug 2018 22:25

tamtagon wrote:
dukemeredith wrote:
tamtagon wrote:This will be another Fortune 500 HQ downtown.



I’m not seeing this company on the Fortune 500 list... am I missing it?


Boston based Steward merged with Nashville area IASIS in 2017, projected annual revenue in 2018 almost ~8 Billion. Probably central location brought the big wigs to Dallas?

https://www.steward.org/1/article/stewa ... ment-merge


I think it's a privately-held company. As such, it won't be in the Fortune 500.

User avatar
PonyUp13
Posts: 44
Joined: 03 Nov 2016 21:10

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby PonyUp13 » 30 Aug 2018 21:27

When/if they go public again they’ll be F500

Tnexster
Posts: 1667
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 14 Sep 2018 16:39

New downtown Dallas tower lands another law firm tenant

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... irm-tenant

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 688
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Oct 2018 09:49

Eater Dallas is saying that Nusret Gökç (Salt Bae) was touring a space at 1900 Pearl for his Turkish steakhouse Nusr-Et. Apparently he has been spotted before at The Star in Frisco, so this is either a possible location or one of two.

‘Salt Bae’ Will Bring His Turkish Steakhouse Nusr-Et to Dallas’ Arts District
https://dallas.eater.com/2018/10/9/1795 ... s-district

Tnexster
Posts: 1667
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 12 Dec 2018 14:22

Law firm Husch Blackwell grows downtown Dallas office in move to new tower

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -new-tower

The 1900 Pearl building is more than 90 percent leased.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 449
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Matt777 » 12 Dec 2018 14:42

Tnexster wrote:Law firm Husch Blackwell grows downtown Dallas office in move to new tower

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -new-tower

The 1900 Pearl building is more than 90 percent leased.


Lies. I was told by several on this forum that there was ZERO demand for new Downtown Dallas office space and that builders should NOT start building office towers without the majority of space leased because there would be no tenants for them and they would sit empty. The same people said that Houston, the city with the largest amount of empty office space and with millions of spec sqft space on the way, should continue to build massive spec towers downtown with only a small amount of space leased at the beginning of construction.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 449
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Matt777 » 12 Dec 2018 14:54

I will also add that many of these corporate moves seem to be choosing new, but already completed buildings. If anything, our lack of completed new office space could be holding back corporate moves to Downtown. The newer buildings are mostly leased, and quickly. Build some spec!

Tnexster
Posts: 1667
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 12 Dec 2018 14:57

We need our own Wilshire Grand Center project in downtown Dallas.

User avatar
quixomniac
Posts: 11
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 21:24

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby quixomniac » 13 Dec 2018 01:04

Wasn't sure what the LED's looked like. Took this tonight, 1900 Pearl is on the left most corner. It's fairly yellow in person. I guess it makes for all 3 of the primary colors in this picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ContriveDallasite
Posts: 241
Joined: 27 Oct 2016 03:34
Location: München

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby ContriveDallasite » 13 Dec 2018 02:19

Great shot! Excited to see two more towers go up in that same shot in the future.

User avatar
Mr. Amsterdam
Posts: 12
Joined: 09 Jan 2018 19:14
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Mr. Amsterdam » 13 Dec 2018 02:53

Tnexster wrote:We need our own Wilshire Grand Center project in downtown Dallas.


Without that ridiculous spire.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1396
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 13 Dec 2018 06:56

Mr. Amsterdam wrote:
Tnexster wrote:We need our own Wilshire Grand Center project in downtown Dallas.


Without that ridiculous spire.


word

User avatar
TNWE
Posts: 103
Joined: 03 May 2017 09:42

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby TNWE » 13 Dec 2018 11:32

Matt777 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Law firm Husch Blackwell grows downtown Dallas office in move to new tower

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -new-tower

The 1900 Pearl building is more than 90 percent leased.


Lies. I was told by several on this forum that there was ZERO demand for new Downtown Dallas office space and that builders should NOT start building office towers without the majority of space leased because there would be no tenants for them and they would sit empty. The same people said that Houston, the city with the largest amount of empty office space and with millions of spec sqft space on the way, should continue to build massive spec towers downtown with only a small amount of space leased at the beginning of construction.


Calling 1900 Pearl "downtown" is pedantry of the highest order. Sure, it's within the loop, but only by a few feet, and only because the Uptown side of KWP is completely built out.

There are dozens of buildings along the EMC corridor offering comparable blocks of space for $10-15 sq ft. Husch Blackwell clearly thought being close to KWP and the Arts District was worth paying at least double per square foot. Until the existing vacant space in the CBD is leased up and rents get closer to what they are in the Uptown/KWP area, there is zero demand for new spec office downtown.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 688
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Dec 2018 12:01

Just thinking about a vacant lot downtown that could be ripe for a spec tower the size of 1900 Pearl, the one that comes to mind is the lot across Ross Ave from KPMG and the Hall Arts hotel. It's owned by Hall Group so we all know they can get it done.

We've completely given up on Billingsley/Two Arts and the Spire for this cycle, but the Hall site has the right adjacency to where the action is.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 449
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Matt777 » 13 Dec 2018 12:26

TNWE wrote:
Matt777 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Law firm Husch Blackwell grows downtown Dallas office in move to new tower

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -new-tower



Lies. I was told by several on this forum that there was ZERO demand for new Downtown Dallas office space and that builders should NOT start building office towers without the majority of space leased because there would be no tenants for them and they would sit empty. The same people said that Houston, the city with the largest amount of empty office space and with millions of spec sqft space on the way, should continue to build massive spec towers downtown with only a small amount of space leased at the beginning of construction.


Calling 1900 Pearl "downtown" is pedantry of the highest order. Sure, it's within the loop, but only by a few feet, and only because the Uptown side of KWP is completely built out.

There are dozens of buildings along the EMC corridor offering comparable blocks of space for $10-15 sq ft. Husch Blackwell clearly thought being close to KWP and the Arts District was worth paying at least double per square foot. Until the existing vacant space in the CBD is leased up and rents get closer to what they are in the Uptown/KWP area, there is zero demand for new spec office downtown.


My eyes rolled back so far I think I lost them. It's Downtown. Period. The discussion I referenced was referring to building spec office space Downtown. Just because it's near the perimeter of Downtown doesn't mean it's not Downtown.

The space on EMC is 1980's or before space. Yes, some of it has been remodeled, but the prestigious firms want brand new. The older buildings have been prettied up but the big corporations want new buildings built/wired with the latest technology. There is nothing like that on EMC to even reference. There's not even any new proposals being shopped to tenants on EMC as far as I know.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 452
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Tucy » 13 Dec 2018 13:33

Matt777 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Law firm Husch Blackwell grows downtown Dallas office in move to new tower

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -new-tower

The 1900 Pearl building is more than 90 percent leased.


Lies. I was told by several on this forum that there was ZERO demand for new Downtown Dallas office space and that builders should NOT start building office towers without the majority of space leased because there would be no tenants for them and they would sit empty. The same people said that Houston, the city with the largest amount of empty office space and with millions of spec sqft space on the way, should continue to build massive spec towers downtown with only a small amount of space leased at the beginning of construction.


Please show is the posts where anyone said there was ZERO demand for our space in downtown Dallas.

Please show us the posts where anyone said no one should build towers in downtown Dallas without the majority of space being pre-leased.

Please show us the posts where anyone said any new towers built would sit empty.

Please show us the posts where anyone said Houston should continue building native spec towers downtown.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 449
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Matt777 » 13 Dec 2018 14:53

Tucy wrote:
Matt777 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Law firm Husch Blackwell grows downtown Dallas office in move to new tower

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -new-tower



Lies. I was told by several on this forum that there was ZERO demand for new Downtown Dallas office space and that builders should NOT start building office towers without the majority of space leased because there would be no tenants for them and they would sit empty. The same people said that Houston, the city with the largest amount of empty office space and with millions of spec sqft space on the way, should continue to build massive spec towers downtown with only a small amount of space leased at the beginning of construction.


Please show is the posts where anyone said there was ZERO demand for our space in downtown Dallas.

Please show us the posts where anyone said no one should build towers in downtown Dallas without the majority of space being pre-leased.

Please show us the posts where anyone said any new towers built would sit empty.

Please show us the posts where anyone said Houston should continue building native spec towers downtown.


I believe you wrote some of them. You're asking me to show you things you wrote yourself? You said there was no demand for spec Downtown office space, none being built because there was no demand, and that Houston was not building spec office space downtown (they are building enough of it, all over the city, to be the posterchild of the bust once the market recedes).

Don't get your panties in a twist just because the things you said are being proven wrong. Try "Well, guess I am pleasantly surprised I was wrong!" I think this downtown office building still has finishing touches being put on it, and it's over 90% leased now. It started construction with a lot of space unspoken for.

User avatar
TNWE
Posts: 103
Joined: 03 May 2017 09:42

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby TNWE » 13 Dec 2018 15:47

Matt777 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Matt777 wrote:
Lies. I was told by several on this forum that there was ZERO demand for new Downtown Dallas office space and that builders should NOT start building office towers without the majority of space leased because there would be no tenants for them and they would sit empty. The same people said that Houston, the city with the largest amount of empty office space and with millions of spec sqft space on the way, should continue to build massive spec towers downtown with only a small amount of space leased at the beginning of construction.


Please show is the posts where anyone said there was ZERO demand for our space in downtown Dallas.

Please show us the posts where anyone said no one should build towers in downtown Dallas without the majority of space being pre-leased.

Please show us the posts where anyone said any new towers built would sit empty.

Please show us the posts where anyone said Houston should continue building native spec towers downtown.


I believe you wrote some of them. You're asking me to show you things you wrote yourself? You said there was no demand for spec Downtown office space, none being built because there was no demand, and that Houston was not building spec office space downtown (they are building enough of it, all over the city, to be the posterchild of the bust once the market recedes).

Don't get your panties in a twist just because the things you said are being proven wrong. Try "Well, guess I am pleasantly surprised I was wrong!" I think this downtown office building still has finishing touches being put on it, and it's over 90% leased now. It started construction with a lot of space unspoken for.


Once more for emphasis - the success of 1900 Pearl stems from its proximity to KWP, Uptown, and the Arts District, in that order. Given the absence of any walls or barricades separating KWP from downtown, the fact that it is south of Woodall Rogers is utterly irrelevant to real estate advisors, corporate decision makers, and anyone else who gets paid to know real estate. There's simply no comparison between the desirability of the KWP area and any other part of "Downtown" and to suggest otherwise is weapons-grade stupid.

If that formula was repeatable anywhere within the downtown freeway loop, why did the developers pay $7.2 Million for that tiny parcel of land when there are numerous larger vacant or underdeveloped lots in the CBD, EMC, Farmers Market, West End, and City Hall districts of Downtown Dallas that are valued at a fraction of what was paid for the Symphony land? Either there isn't demand in those parts of Downtown, or the developers massively overpaid for a piece of land to build a tower they could have built anywhere. I wouldn't bet on the latter, so I'd save the "I told you so" for when a spec office tower more than a stone's throw from KWP & Uptown leases out at a similar rate. My guess is you'll be waiting a while...

User avatar
dch526
Posts: 63
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 09:12

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby dch526 » 13 Dec 2018 16:24

Does anyone know if there is any data showing the % occupancy/vacancy of buildings in Downtown/Uptown based on decade complete?

The CBD is still around the 21-23% range I believe. Curious if you see larger vacancies in the towers from the 80's or is it more evenly split?

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 452
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Tucy » 13 Dec 2018 18:34

Matt777 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Matt777 wrote:
Lies. I was told by several on this forum that there was ZERO demand for new Downtown Dallas office space and that builders should NOT start building office towers without the majority of space leased because there would be no tenants for them and they would sit empty. The same people said that Houston, the city with the largest amount of empty office space and with millions of spec sqft space on the way, should continue to build massive spec towers downtown with only a small amount of space leased at the beginning of construction.


Please show is the posts where anyone said there was ZERO demand for our space in downtown Dallas.

Please show us the posts where anyone said no one should build towers in downtown Dallas without the majority of space being pre-leased.

Please show us the posts where anyone said any new towers built would sit empty.

Please show us the posts where anyone said Houston should continue building native spec towers downtown.


I believe you wrote some of them. You're asking me to show you things you wrote yourself? You said there was no demand for spec Downtown office space, none being built because there was no demand, and that Houston was not building spec office space downtown (they are building enough of it, all over the city, to be the posterchild of the bust once the market recedes).

Don't get your panties in a twist just because the things you said are being proven wrong. Try "Well, guess I am pleasantly surprised I was wrong!" I think this downtown office building still has finishing touches being put on it, and it's over 90% leased now. It started construction with a lot of space unspoken for.


Just as I thought. Of course, I never wrote any of the things you are now claiming to have been told... and neither did anyone else. That is precisely why I asked you to provide the posts; because I knew they did not exist.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 449
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Matt777 » 13 Dec 2018 20:24

Tucy wrote:
Matt777 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Please show is the posts where anyone said there was ZERO demand for our space in downtown Dallas.

Please show us the posts where anyone said no one should build towers in downtown Dallas without the majority of space being pre-leased.

Please show us the posts where anyone said any new towers built would sit empty.

Please show us the posts where anyone said Houston should continue building native spec towers downtown.


I believe you wrote some of them. You're asking me to show you things you wrote yourself? You said there was no demand for spec Downtown office space, none being built because there was no demand, and that Houston was not building spec office space downtown (they are building enough of it, all over the city, to be the posterchild of the bust once the market recedes).

Don't get your panties in a twist just because the things you said are being proven wrong. Try "Well, guess I am pleasantly surprised I was wrong!" I think this downtown office building still has finishing touches being put on it, and it's over 90% leased now. It started construction with a lot of space unspoken for.


Just as I thought. Of course, I never wrote any of the things you are now claiming to have been told... and neither did anyone else. That is precisely why I asked you to provide the posts; because I knew they did not exist.


They're paraphrased from your comments in the Amazon thread, but okay, like many Americans today let's pretend facts don't exist, real is fake, up is down, and so on. Done with this. I think someone is just a little panty twisted that a DOWNTOWN office building (You guys refuse to accept that a Downtown property is in fact Downtown. It's not Uptown, so what is it, UpDownTown? TownUpDown?) leased up a large amount of unspoken for office space right before completion. Done with this. Not going further with you. Moving on....

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 452
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Tucy » 13 Dec 2018 21:32

Matt777 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Matt777 wrote:
They're paraphrased from your comments in the Amazon thread, but okay, like many Americans today let's pretend facts don't exist, real is fake, up is down, and so on. Done with this. I think someone is just a little panty twisted that a DOWNTOWN office building (You guys refuse to accept that a Downtown property is in fact Downtown. It's not Uptown, so what is it, UpDownTown? TownUpDown?) leased up a large amount of unspoken for office space right before completion. Done with this. Not going further with you. Moving on....


That is some wildly dishonest paraphrasing.

FWIW, zero demand for office space is quite different from insufficient demand to spur construction of 35-50 story, 600,000 -1 million square foot towers.

Your other "paraphrased" statements are even further of the mark.

Your being done is probably the best thing for honest discourse.
Last edited by Tucy on 14 Dec 2018 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 449
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Matt777 » 14 Dec 2018 00:29

Tucy wrote:
Matt777 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Just as I thought. Of course, I never wrote any of the things you are now claiming to have been told... and neither did anyone else. That is precisely why I asked you to provide the posts; because I knew they did not exist.


They're paraphrased from your comments in the Amazon thread, but okay, like many Americans today let's pretend facts don't exist, real is fake, up is down, and so on. Done with this. I think someone is just a little panty twisted that a DOWNTOWN office building (You guys refuse to accept that a Downtown property is in fact Downtown. It's not Uptown, so what is it, UpDownTown? TownUpDown?) leased up a large amount of unspoken for office space right before completion. Done with this. Not going further with you. Moving on....


That is some wildly dishonest paraphrasing.

FWIW, zero demand for office space is quite different from insufficient demand to spur construction of 35-50 story, 600,000 -1 million square foot towers.

Your other "paraphrased" statements are even further of the mark.

Your being done is probably the best thing for honest discourse.


You very clearly made those points using different words, but okay. You were still wrong about demand. Don't move the goal post. Moving on.

User avatar
tanzoak
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Dec 2016 19:15

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby tanzoak » 14 Dec 2018 00:53

If you're quoting enough text to take up the entire screen, you're being annoying. Internet fighting is part of the deal, but we don't need to see the same wall of quoted text in post after post.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 452
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby Tucy » 14 Dec 2018 01:06

Matt777 wrote:
You very clearly made those points using different words, but okay. You were still wrong about demand. Don't move the goal post. Moving on.


Moving on, indeed. LOL.. I very clearly did not make any of the points you claim. Not even close.
Please tell me how I was wrong about demand. Again, I never said or implied that there is zero demand for space in new office buildings in downtown Dallas. I was quite aware of the existence and leasing of the small building at 1900 Pearl. That does not prove sufficient demand to spur construction of a major tower.

User avatar
TNWE
Posts: 103
Joined: 03 May 2017 09:42

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby TNWE » 14 Dec 2018 09:16

Matt777 wrote:I think someone is just a little panty twisted that a DOWNTOWN office building (You guys refuse to accept that a Downtown property is in fact Downtown. It's not Uptown, so what is it, UpDownTown? TownUpDown?) leased up a large amount of unspoken for office space right before completion. Done with this. Not going further with you. Moving on....


No one is arguing that the building *isn't* within the commonly accepted boundaries of Downtown, because that's not the point. The point is that the desirability and success of 1900 Pearl stems from proximity to KWP, which has been hailed as a success because it removed a barrier between uptown and downtown, and allowed the desirability of Uptown to extend to the south.

You can't extrapolate demand, leasing, and occupancy rates for KWP-adjacent buildings to the entire Downtown office market because you can't copy-paste the desirability and amenities of the KWP area to the CBD, EMC, West End, Farmers Market or City hall districts. The abundance of low-value buildings and vacant/unimproved lots in those parts of downtown proves that.

Long story short:
1) 1900 Pacific was a success because it checked all the boxes for businesses that would otherwise go for Uptown office space, and it commanded Uptown-level rents
2) It's probably the last big KWP-adjacent project this cycle
3) The other 98% of Downtown still has a way to go before we see a dozen+ tower cranes working the skyline. The good news is that Uptown and Victory Park are built out and land is expensive, so developers and real estate advisors will need to look to Downtown in the next cycle if they want space in the city core (so long as city hall and advocacy groups don't scare them off with silly development requirements)

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1396
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 14 Dec 2018 10:10

On the forum, we used to have a healthy 'where is/what is downtown' debate, geographic definitions, social definitions and all that. Downtown Dallas used to be defined by Elm, Main and Commerce; westward expansion reached Ross, the Convention Center and new City Hall expanded "downtown" to the south (attempted!); Woodall Rodgers made a convenient marker for the edge of downtown, but when The Crescent opened way back when, the definition of downtown began another expansion. Uptown is a part of downtown, KWPark wasn't needed to update the definition, but is equally convenient to bridge acceptance of a growing downtown area.

DPatel304
Posts: 1083
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Dec 2018 10:21

tamtagon wrote:Uptown is a part of downtown, KWPark wasn't needed to update the definition, but is equally convenient to bridge acceptance of a growing downtown area.


I think I've seen articles reference places like Uptown and Victory Park as being part of the "Greater Downtown" area, which is the terminology I tend to use for Downtown+urban Dallas outside of Downtown. To me, Downtown will always be within highway boundaries. I guess the only time that would get fuzzy, for me, is if we ever decide to re-route I-30, or get rid of I-345 (with I-345 gone, it really feels like we should consider 'The Epic' a part of Downtown, instead of Deep Ellum, for example).

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1396
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 14 Dec 2018 10:37

To many people living in Denton County(e.g.), Deep Ellum is simply the Deep Ellum side of Downtown; to most people living in Lakewood, Deep Ellum is Deep Ellum, downtown is ringed by the highways, Uptown is West Village.... it's all relative. To a diminishing number of people, Uptown is part of Oak Lawn that has been advertised into its own deal.

User avatar
joshua.dodd
Posts: 363
Joined: 23 Oct 2016 01:11

Re: Arts District: 1900 Pearl (362 FT | 25 ST)

Postby joshua.dodd » 14 Dec 2018 19:00

Uptown is just a developers dream. There's no real authenticity.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

cron

Login