Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 494
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby R1070 » 20 Jun 2018 21:49

if developers built more apartments and condos downtown they'd continue to fill up. I'm surprised we don't see more going up downtown now.

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 101
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Warrior2015 » 20 Jun 2018 21:51

R1070 wrote:if developers built more apartments and condos downtown they'd continue to fill up. I'm surprised we don't see more going up downtown now.

Right?? If more don't break ground soon, Fort Worth and Houston may take the lead on dallas and I would hate to see that happen. No offense to those cities.

User avatar
hjkll
Posts: 39
Joined: 16 Sep 2017 20:56

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby hjkll » 20 Jun 2018 22:56

Warrior2015 wrote:
R1070 wrote:if developers built more apartments and condos downtown they'd continue to fill up. I'm surprised we don't see more going up downtown now.

Right?? If more don't break ground soon, Fort Worth and Houston may take the lead on dallas and I would hate to see that happen. No offense to those cities.


It really is surprising how little truly residential development there is happening downtown (yes there is also hall arts but that is literally, what, 40 residences I think?)

The issue is so many massive city blocks are empty downtown, it’s hard to do normal infill development. It seems it’s either going to be skyscraper residential tower or nothing. It doesn’t seem possible anymore to piece together multi buildings on 1 city block like 100 years ago.

Also, Fort Worth is literally not going to beat Dallas in literally any metric probably ever.... Sundance square is great and Downtown dallas lacks true great communal urban space, but Ft Worth is still.... Ft Worth.....

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 101
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Warrior2015 » 20 Jun 2018 23:51

hjkll wrote:
Warrior2015 wrote:
R1070 wrote:if developers built more apartments and condos downtown they'd continue to fill up. I'm surprised we don't see more going up downtown now.

Right?? If more don't break ground soon, Fort Worth and Houston may take the lead on dallas and I would hate to see that happen. No offense to those cities.


It really is surprising how little truly residential development there is happening downtown (yes there is also hall arts but that is literally, what, 40 residences I think?)

The issue is so many massive city blocks are empty downtown, it’s hard to do normal infill development. It seems it’s either going to be skyscraper residential tower or nothing. It doesn’t seem possible anymore to piece together multi buildings on 1 city block like 100 years ago.

Also, Fort Worth is literally not going to beat Dallas in literally any metric probably ever.... Sundance square is great and Downtown dallas lacks true great communal urban space, but Ft Worth is still.... Ft Worth.....

I'm talking about population wise. DT Fort Worth is already at around 8,000 residences. DT Houston is already a bit over 8,000. Just 3 or 4 years ago it was like 3600 or something I remember reading it and kind of laughed at how low the number was. I'm just saying if DT Dallas don't pick up the residential speed, I wouldn't be too surprised if the other two narrowed the gap even more or even pass DT Dallas in residential.The only proposed downtown apartments that I know of are Flora olive ,the 19 story dev by dallas h.s ,hall arts is only 40 something units ,a few apartments by farmers market,the drever if it even happens, mid elm lofts which isn't a lot, and possibly smart district but that's years away.

User avatar
Waldozer
Posts: 93
Joined: 12 Mar 2017 06:30

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Waldozer » 20 Jun 2018 23:57

Fort Worth does beat Dallas on some metrics, for sure. It has a livelier downtown, a better collection of art museums, and nicer green spaces. Also, I’ve seen more engaging operas in Fort Worth than in Dallas - they really push the envelope with mariachi opera, salsa opera, modern Ginsberg opera, bizarre chamber operas (look up the synopsis of Dog Days), and a lot of stuff the Dallas Opera is too stuffy to try.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1288
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Jun 2018 08:52

You have nothing to worry about the CBD because it's on the edge of the larger ring of Downtown which includes, Uptown, Deep Ellum, Design District, Southside/Lamar, East Dallas, Victory, Cedars, Riverfront, Ross Ave. All are chugging along on their own pace feeding energy and life to the CBD. As those neighborhoods have densified the CBD has seen its own improvements. More parks are on their way, the Farmers Market is a better amenity now, and Main Street continues to see solid growth, 80's office towers are getting multi-million dollar renovations, new hotels keep going in. In fact, you could argue our wildly successful Klyde Warren is our Sundance if you need that kind of comparison. Our Arts District is just a different personality than Fort Worth and the DMA continues to increase its permanent collection of a significant pieces raising its profile every year. I personally just prefer the flavor of the Dallas urban experience than Fort Worth which to me offers a cleansed Disney like experience which is not my cup of tea.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1269
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 21 Jun 2018 09:48

Doesn't the pipeline of approved residential units in the downtown area number in the low thousands right now? 750ish in the CBD, 1,500ish in Deep Ellum/OED, 500-1,000 Uptown/Victory Park? Something like that. Include all of Oak Lawn (not just Uptown/VP), and all of East Dallas, Design District, Cedars.... there's a whole lot approved and at various stages of construction. That creates the contiguous city, but reach out just a touch to the South and Oak Cliff and West Dallas are on tap to pick up any slack North Downtown Area may or may not need. Any slow down is a couple years out; when things do slow down, they will slow down quicker and longer everywhere else relative to Dallas - which will simply be growing slower but not nearing a stop. Unless of course another bundling of financial, insurance, real estate industries is taken into collapse.

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 101
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Warrior2015 » 21 Jun 2018 14:23

cowboyeagle05 wrote:You have nothing to worry about the CBD because it's on the edge of the larger ring of Downtown which includes, Uptown, Deep Ellum, Design District, Southside/Lamar, East Dallas, Victory, Cedars, Riverfront, Ross Ave. All are chugging along on their own pace feeding energy and life to the CBD. As those neighborhoods have densified the CBD has seen its own improvements. More parks are on their way, the Farmers Market is a better amenity now, and Main Street continues to see solid growth, 80's office towers are getting multi-million dollar renovations, new hotels keep going in. In fact, you could argue our wildly successful Klyde Warren is our Sundance if you need that kind of comparison. Our Arts District is just a different personality than Fort Worth and the DMA continues to increase its permanent collection of a significant pieces raising its profile every year. I personally just prefer the flavor of the Dallas urban experience than Fort Worth which to me offers a cleansed Disney like experience which is not my cup of tea.

True & I agree , however there should be more units u/c in the CBD. There's 86 acres of land than can be developed. Maybe there will be a big wave of new developments that come out of nowhere. Who knows. Overall, I'm still excited about all the progress in our urban core. AMLI fountain place is going to be a great addition

User avatar
Cbdallas
Posts: 185
Joined: 29 Nov 2016 16:42

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Cbdallas » 21 Jun 2018 15:22

Don;t forget that we spent 10 years plus rehabbing old unused buildings into apartments throughout the downtown core. The next phase and only growth possible is on those empty lots and low use land plots. It will happen next.

Tnexster
Posts: 1424
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 21 Jun 2018 19:13

I am disappointed that the Headington properties adjacent to Fountain Place aren't seeing any action. Looking down on that from Ross Tower you see nothing but dead space occupied by parking lots. Huge opportunity for residential growth and nothing happens.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1288
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2018 11:38

Warrior2015 wrote:True & I agree , however there should be more units u/c in the CBD. There's 86 acres of land than can be developed. Maybe there will be a big wave of new developments that come out of nowhere. Who knows. Overall, I'm still excited about all the progress in our urban core. AMLI fountain place is going to be a great addition


I think you just have to be realistic the numbers for the CBD when it comes to buying property and building there are different. The CBD is on the bleeding edge of redevelopment, Downtown Fort Worth is not in a similar redevelopment pattern for its municipality. The CBD is not in demand as much as Deep Ellum or Uptown which in Deep Ellum's case there weren't any historical buildings to convert. Also from what I hear a lot of those parking lots in Downtown are being held for high prices by owners hoping such demand is coming in the next 10-20yrs. In the CBD its made more monetary sense to buy empty office towers and convert to residential and we have had lots of that in the last 5-10 years.

Right now we have four residential projects under construction in the CBD. Two near the Farmers Market and one next to the Statler and the before mentioned Hall Arts Condo tower. Two proposed for the Ross Ave/Arts District area. One just outside of the border aka the Epic residential component. It's not a bad number to have honestly.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1269
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 22 Jun 2018 11:57

The CBD is almost on a trend such that any new residential project will be have to be large like AMLI Fountain Place and the one in the Arts District or top of market like Museum Place and Hall Arts, while CBD/Uptown perimeter neighborhoods will continue with new residential projects medium sized like Epic. If Elm Place sticks this time around, we'll see more new construction in the CBD, the future residential towers will steadily push the unit numbers higher.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 974
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 Jun 2018 19:49

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
Warrior2015 wrote:True & I agree , however there should be more units u/c in the CBD. There's 86 acres of land than can be developed. Maybe there will be a big wave of new developments that come out of nowhere. Who knows. Overall, I'm still excited about all the progress in our urban core. AMLI fountain place is going to be a great addition


I think you just have to be realistic the numbers for the CBD when it comes to buying property and building there are different. The CBD is on the bleeding edge of redevelopment, Downtown Fort Worth is not in a similar redevelopment pattern for its municipality. The CBD is not in demand as much as Deep Ellum or Uptown which in Deep Ellum's case there weren't any historical buildings to convert. Also from what I hear a lot of those parking lots in Downtown are being held for high prices by owners hoping such demand is coming in the next 10-20yrs. In the CBD its made more monetary sense to buy empty office towers and convert to residential and we have had lots of that in the last 5-10 years.

Right now we have four residential projects under construction in the CBD. Two near the Farmers Market and one next to the Statler and the before mentioned Hall Arts Condo tower. Two proposed for the Ross Ave/Arts District area. One just outside of the border aka the Epic residential component. It's not a bad number to have honestly.


Is Matthews affordable housing project by Dallas HS still happening?

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 101
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Warrior2015 » 22 Jun 2018 21:44

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:
Warrior2015 wrote:True & I agree , however there should be more units u/c in the CBD. There's 86 acres of land than can be developed. Maybe there will be a big wave of new developments that come out of nowhere. Who knows. Overall, I'm still excited about all the progress in our urban core. AMLI fountain place is going to be a great addition


I think you just have to be realistic the numbers for the CBD when it comes to buying property and building there are different. The CBD is on the bleeding edge of redevelopment, Downtown Fort Worth is not in a similar redevelopment pattern for its municipality. The CBD is not in demand as much as Deep Ellum or Uptown which in Deep Ellum's case there weren't any historical buildings to convert. Also from what I hear a lot of those parking lots in Downtown are being held for high prices by owners hoping such demand is coming in the next 10-20yrs. In the CBD its made more monetary sense to buy empty office towers and convert to residential and we have had lots of that in the last 5-10 years.

Right now we have four residential projects under construction in the CBD. Two near the Farmers Market and one next to the Statler and the before mentioned Hall Arts Condo tower. Two proposed for the Ross Ave/Arts District area. One just outside of the border aka the Epic residential component. It's not a bad number to have honestly.


Is Matthews affordable housing project by Dallas HS still happening?

Yeah he said he hopes to break ground in early 2019

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 385
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby willyk » 22 Jun 2018 23:13

I would be happy to see these CBD surface lots covered with 5 story residential like Ross Ave and the Farmers Market. But I fear that since so many of the nearby developments are high rise— Hall, AMLI, Case, Epic, WAR, VP—the CBD owners will not settle for less. And that type of development is inherently slower and more cautious.

My model is how low rise State Thomas laid the foundation for high rise Uptown. That’s what we need in the CBD.

DPatel304
Posts: 966
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby DPatel304 » 22 Jun 2018 23:41

willyk wrote:My model is how low rise State Thomas laid the foundation for high rise Uptown. That’s what we need in the CBD.


I'd say the Farmer's Market and East Quarter will do a good job at laying the foundation for more dense development.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 494
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby R1070 » 23 Jun 2018 11:45

I agree. I think that the East Quarter will be more along the lines of what you're asking for and the other areas will be more high rise development. I just wish we could get the West End more connected with the core of downtown.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1269
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 23 Jun 2018 12:42

R1070 wrote:I just wish we could get the West End more connected with the core of downtown.


This really should happen, sooner rather than later, and should be accomplished come with a streetcar, pedestrian, and bike lanes. Extended MATA from McKinney/Cole to Cedar Springs to Olive to Houston Street to Union Station.

User avatar
joshua.dodd
Posts: 315
Joined: 23 Oct 2016 01:11

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby joshua.dodd » 23 Jun 2018 20:26

"Extended MATA from McKinney/Cole to Cedar Springs to Olive to Houston Street to Union Station."

Yeah, that's never going to happen. MATA can't even survive without DART funding. Your best bet is for the DART streetcar to extend service into the West End.
Also, the city and DART needs to get off their behinds nd clean up the West End station.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1269
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 25 Jun 2018 09:55

joshua.dodd wrote:"Extended MATA from McKinney/Cole to Cedar Springs to Olive to Houston Street to Union Station."

Yeah, that's never going to happen. MATA can't even survive without DART funding. Your best bet is for the DART streetcar to extend service into the West End.
Also, the city and DART needs to get off their behinds nd clean up the West End station.


DART, NCTCOG, Dallas City & County, TxDOT can all work together to fund the construction whatever. So many 'buckets' of money needing a plan to fill, just takes an organized, detail-oriented task master to manage the red tape.

Operation is funded by the neighborhood developers like it was in the good ole days.

Consider this list of neighborhood developers and the proven ROI from operating a vintage streetcar line:

Hunt (Union Station, Reunion stuff, Hyatt), UST/Perot (Victory Park and the legacy trophy Perot Museum of Nature and Science), Harwood International, Crescent, AAC. Just these five landlords could fund this leg of a streetcar system and line-item a profit, but the rest of the businesses within a couple block of the route would also contribute.

Taking the old world approach, business interest 'pay' for the operation while taxing agencies pay for the construction because it raises the quality of life.

Crow (Anatole) and Cuban (basketball HQ extravaganza) would totally benefit from a branch from AAC through the Design District. Convention Center, Matthews Southwest routes to The Cedars.

It would just take the right approach and tact to get all the ducks brainstorming a profit in a row....

Tnexster
Posts: 1424
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 26 Jun 2018 20:05

They have started working on the south face of the parking garage, it's a small section but they appear to be drilling into the concrete and inserting what appears to be heavy duty cable that is sticking out the side...that's my best description. Maybe it's for the glass curtain wall? I would assume so but I don't know.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1288
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jun 2018 10:55

A story where Steve Brown talks about how much he loves an Uptown parking garage...but at least a mention of this project with the parking garage cover is included.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ges-design

The owner of downtown Dallas' landmark Fountain Place tower will cover the huge new parking garage next door in the same green glass as the skyscraper and a new high-rise apartment being built next door.

"We went with glass that matches the office and residential towers," said Goddard Investment Group's Jim Wilson. The owner "liked tying all three structures together visually to emphasize the common mixed-use. It should start going on this week."

Roman_Patrick
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 Jan 2018 14:12

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Roman_Patrick » 05 Jul 2018 09:42

Hi all!
does anyone know why there is no official Dallas Amli Fountain place website? with more information on the tower/sales or apartments?
I feel like new rising or proposed towers already have a website but i have not seen that for this tower.
Maybe they are building it now lol i am just impatient haha

User avatar
CTroyMathis
Site Admin
Posts: 186
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 19:51

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby CTroyMathis » 05 Jul 2018 17:17

The "they" seem to have finally registered a website a couple of months ago or so, it's just not live yet.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1288
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Jul 2018 08:44

Park District tower residences didn't have a website launched until two months ago and that one has been under construction for a lot longer so I suppose its just not on their radar.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Jul 2018 10:10

^True, there's really no point in having a website until you're close to pre-leasing. The Katy's website was so early and placeholder that it was almost comical.

User avatar
clubtokyo
Posts: 2
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 21:02

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby clubtokyo » 06 Jul 2018 23:06

Umm Austin has over 12000 residences downtown. Dallas has a long way to go.

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 101
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Warrior2015 » 06 Jul 2018 23:22

clubtokyo wrote:Umm Austin has over 12000 residences downtown. Dallas has a long way to go.

Actually Austin has more than that. It has the most in the state

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 385
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby willyk » 08 Jul 2018 22:29

Since downtown Austin is bounded by the river and the capital, this concentration of residential seems to reflect the natural geography of the situation, not better planning.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 974
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Jul 2018 22:50

clubtokyo wrote:Umm Austin has over 12000 residences downtown. Dallas has a long way to go.


Uh... You do realize there were over 11K ppl in DTD back in 2017 right?

It's probably at or over 12K now with all the recently completed projects.

Let's not make Austin seem like they're light years away now.

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 101
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Warrior2015 » 08 Jul 2018 23:16

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
clubtokyo wrote:Umm Austin has over 12000 residences downtown. Dallas has a long way to go.


Uh... You do realize there were over 11K ppl in DTD back in 2017 right?

It's probably at or over 12K now with all the recently completed projects.

Let's not make Austin seem like they're light years away now.

Who said anything about them being light years ahead?? I simply said they have more. Back in like 2015 or so they had over 15,000 residents I remember. Dallas has between 11k and 12k. So Austin is definitely on it's way to about 20k in the next couple years

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 974
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Jul 2018 23:36

Warrior2015 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
clubtokyo wrote:Umm Austin has over 12000 residences downtown. Dallas has a long way to go.


Uh... You do realize there were over 11K ppl in DTD back in 2017 right?

It's probably at or over 12K now with all the recently completed projects.

Let's not make Austin seem like they're light years away now.

Who said anything about them being light years ahead?? I simply said they have more. Back in like 2015 or so they had over 15,000 residents I remember. Dallas has between 11k and 12k. So Austin is definitely on it's way to about 20k in the next couple years


The guy who literally said "Umm Austin has over 12000 residences downtown. Dallas has a long way to go".

And I wasn't even replying to u lol

Edit: from what I know the Austin downtown alliance has 14.8 K listed on their site. But If your saying they had 15 K years ago then idk.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1288
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Jul 2018 08:52

They both have around a scrillion people living Downtown. There does that settle it? ;)

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 101
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Warrior2015 » 09 Jul 2018 09:32

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Warrior2015 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Uh... You do realize there were over 11K ppl in DTD back in 2017 right?

It's probably at or over 12K now with all the recently completed projects.

Let's not make Austin seem like they're light years away now.

Who said anything about them being light years ahead?? I simply said they have more. Back in like 2015 or so they had over 15,000 residents I remember. Dallas has between 11k and 12k. So Austin is definitely on it's way to about 20k in the next couple years


The guy who literally said "Umm Austin has over 12000 residences downtown. Dallas has a long way to go".

And I wasn't even replying to u lol

Edit: from what I know the Austin downtown alliance has 14.8 K listed on their site. But If your saying they had 15 K years ago then idk.

My bad I didn't realize that until after lol

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 412
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tucy » 09 Jul 2018 10:29

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
clubtokyo wrote:Umm Austin has over 12000 residences downtown. Dallas has a long way to go.


Uh... You do realize there were over 11K ppl in DTD back in 2017 right?

It's probably at or over 12K now with all the recently completed projects.


Source? and what projects have been completed since the date of your 2017 population estimate?

The best estimate we have is from our own DCH, who put the estimate right at 10,000 in 2017; a little under 12,000 when all projects then under construction are completed: http://dfwu.dallasmetropolis.com/viewtopic.php?t=179
Last edited by Tucy on 09 Jul 2018 11:39, edited 3 times in total.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1288
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Jul 2018 11:05

The next phase of this data fight is what is truly Downtown. Downtown Dallas Inc usually has two numbers its likes to push. One is Greater Downtown including; Deep Ellum, Victory, Uptown, Cedars, South Side, Design District etc. Where does the limit on Downtown Austin begin and end. Its easy in Dallas to decide to use the highway loop aka the CBD as the limit because we have encircled our tallest parts with a choking amount of freeways. In Austin is the use of MoPac and 35 with the river as a southern border and MLK as the northern limit acceptable? Cause honestly they are two very different functioning cities when it comes to development patterns and employment centers.

DPatel304
Posts: 966
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Jul 2018 11:28

cowboyeagle05 wrote:In Austin is the use of MoPac and 35 with the river as a southern border and MLK as the northern limit acceptable?


That's what I consider to be 'Downtown Austin', but, you're right, it's really hard compare the two cities because of how their urban core is structured. I think their smaller urban core really served them well this past decade and it allowed for them to quickly and easily create a very cohesive Downtown (something that Dallas is still working on). However, I believe, going forward, their small urban core will become a bit of a problem for their growth, and I think this coming decade is where Dallas can really shine because of this.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1269
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 09 Jul 2018 11:37

The data presentations are whatever you want them to be, nuance, cherry-pick, slice-n-dice whatever... by now we probably all agree with that. Probably somewhere parameters are the same and the data derived under them will give fair charts, graphs and tables for comparison. Distance, density, amenities, children, income, workplace, stage of life and so many others become subject to the goal of measurement. Quality of Life? Population counts are the beginning until the minimum number is reached (typically ~10,000); until then the actual reviews don't begin. Looks like Dallas and Austin have crossed that line.

I think Dallas does have a longer road ahead. There's several pocketed residential neighborhoods in the greater downtown area to consider, but they are probably still too isolated for the true nature of city living to be revealed.

AMLI Fountain Place is an important marker for Dallas. It's a huge apartment building, new build. Ten years ago this scale would not have been attempted. No more empty old buildings are taking up space waiting for financing can to be cobbled together with government assistance. The training wheels are almost off, Elm Place being the final chapter in a pretty compelling revival story. Phase one almost complete. Spire, Headington, 1-2-3-4 Arts Plaza, Smart District, Hunt Reunion, The Cedars & Trains.... These large co-opted land collections are idling until the time is right to add the next phase of new development; filling in the gaps, plugging holes, smoothing the seams, it'll be fun observe the character of a truly big city take form.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 974
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Jul 2018 14:19

Tucy wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
clubtokyo wrote:Umm Austin has over 12000 residences downtown. Dallas has a long way to go.


Uh... You do realize there were over 11K ppl in DTD back in 2017 right?

It's probably at or over 12K now with all the recently completed projects.


Source? and what projects have been completed since the date of your 2017 population estimate?

The best estimate we have is from our own DCH, who put the estimate right at 10,000 in 2017; a little under 12,000 when all projects then under construction are completed: http://dfwu.dallasmetropolis.com/viewtopic.php?t=179


DDI had the count in early 2017 as 10.7 K per the information they shared in their annual meeting (last April I believe). Since we have had the projects in Farmer Markets be completed not to mention the Statler residences which weren't accounted for.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 412
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tucy » 09 Jul 2018 17:47

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Uh... You do realize there were over 11K ppl in DTD back in 2017 right?

It's probably at or over 12K now with all the recently completed projects.


Source? and what projects have been completed since the date of your 2017 population estimate?

The best estimate we have is from our own DCH, who put the estimate right at 10,000 in 2017; a little under 12,000 when all projects then under construction are completed: http://dfwu.dallasmetropolis.com/viewtopic.php?t=179


DDI had the count in early 2017 as 10.7 K per the information they shared in their annual meeting (last April I believe). Since we have had the projects in Farmer Markets be completed not to mention the Statler residences which weren't accounted for.


Maybe they've changed their ways, but DDI has never before been a reliable source for downtown population numbers.

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 101
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Warrior2015 » 09 Jul 2018 19:11

Tucy wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Source? and what projects have been completed since the date of your 2017 population estimate?

The best estimate we have is from our own DCH, who put the estimate right at 10,000 in 2017; a little under 12,000 when all projects then under construction are completed: http://dfwu.dallasmetropolis.com/viewtopic.php?t=179


DDI had the count in early 2017 as 10.7 K per the information they shared in their annual meeting (last April I believe). Since we have had the projects in Farmer Markets be completed not to mention the Statler residences which weren't accounted for.


Maybe they've changed their ways, but DDI has never before been a reliable source for downtown population numbers.

True. I went to the future of downtown dallas event back in February and they were giving weird numbers of downtown population. They were talking about how well the Katy in victory park was leasing for a december but they were calling that downtown and that's at the edge of VP.

Tnexster
Posts: 1424
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 09 Jul 2018 20:59

I remember when the number was 4,000, then 6,000 but always going up. 10,700 doesn't sound unreasonable at this point. Downtown, Uptown, VP and DE are so closely tied together I don't know how you just exclude them anymore.

User avatar
dch526
Posts: 52
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 09:12

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby dch526 » 10 Jul 2018 09:18

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Tucy wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Uh... You do realize there were over 11K ppl in DTD back in 2017 right?

It's probably at or over 12K now with all the recently completed projects.


Source? and what projects have been completed since the date of your 2017 population estimate?

The best estimate we have is from our own DCH, who put the estimate right at 10,000 in 2017; a little under 12,000 when all projects then under construction are completed: http://dfwu.dallasmetropolis.com/viewtopic.php?t=179


DDI had the count in early 2017 as 10.7 K per the information they shared in their annual meeting (last April I believe). Since we have had the projects in Farmer Markets be completed not to mention the Statler residences which weren't accounted for.


That was probably close but a little optimistic. In mid-2018 it's about 11,000 (+/-)

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1269
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby tamtagon » 10 Jul 2018 09:24

If the CBD is the part of downtown inside the highway loop, is the population on track for 5-7% per year for the next several years?

Tnexster
Posts: 1424
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jul 2018 20:22

Back on AMLI, an observation about the now completed 10 story parking garage. Being in an office that looks down on this complex I can not help but notice that they have an abundance of parking in that garage. So much so that once you get above the third level there appear to be very few cars parked. There is one person that always parks on the roof and he has the entire roof to himself. In any case, they appear to have adequate parking and since the residential will have 8-10 floors of its own....well there is lots of parking space here now.

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 205
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby dallaz » 10 Jul 2018 20:45

Tnexster wrote:Back on AMLI, an observation about the now completed 10 story parking garage. Being in an office that looks down on this complex I can not help but notice that they have an abundance of parking in that garage. So much so that once you get above the third level there appear to be very few cars parked. There is one person that always parks on the roof and he has the entire roof to himself. In any case, they appear to have adequate parking and since the residential will have 8-10 floors of its own....well there is lots of parking space here now.
The new parking garage + the old underground parking garage = a hell of a lot of parking

User avatar
ContriveDallasite
Posts: 220
Joined: 27 Oct 2016 03:34
Location: München

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby ContriveDallasite » 11 Jul 2018 03:13

dallaz wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Back on AMLI, an observation about the now completed 10 story parking garage. Being in an office that looks down on this complex I can not help but notice that they have an abundance of parking in that garage. So much so that once you get above the third level there appear to be very few cars parked. There is one person that always parks on the roof and he has the entire roof to himself. In any case, they appear to have adequate parking and since the residential will have 8-10 floors of its own....well there is lots of parking space here now.
The new parking garage + the old underground parking garage = a hell of a lot of parking


It looks like absolute over-kill. It's a shame the developers couldn't have worked together to make the Fountain Place garage have a separate entrance for residents with a bridge / walkway to the tower. Instead, we get another building in Dallas sitting on a podium of parking.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 412
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby Tucy » 11 Jul 2018 08:13

Did they plan that garage anticipating the eventual construction of another office building and then failed to adjust when.an apartment building was built instead?

Or is there that much vacancy in the office building? Has the EPA already moved out, or perhaps they still park on area surface lots?

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 322
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby eburress » 11 Jul 2018 09:11

I wonder if a portion of their tenants park in the surface lot(s) across the street so this was a move intended to support entirely onsite parking, since what's across the street will eventually become a museum.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1288
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas: AMLI Fountain Place (562 FT / 46 ST)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jul 2018 09:57

It's merely a numbers game for these office tower owners. We saw it about the spanking brand new McKinney and Olive tower and it's plentiful parking garage that is having trouble getting used. The executives signing the leases want a certain parking ratio, usually tied to the same ratios permitted in the burbs, but how much that parking is actually used is not cared by anyone. The developer needs the tenant and if having a larger parking ratio means they get the tenant to sign the lease for so much money to pay back the loan and make a profit then why not.

CEO can sign on and require so many parking spaces but once the lease is signed he doesn't care if they are actually used. It's not usually a premium cost on the lease since office building owners still consider parking a "necessary evil" to making these buildings leasable to paying tenants. Not all office buildings have this problem though so its not a wide enough problem to stop the practice.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Login