Page 11 of 13

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 26 Feb 2019 15:00
by eburress
I took my daughter there last month and our experience was good. They didn't have a broad selection, but it was pretty late at night on a week day. If they can fix their quality issues (e.g., the above photo), they should do well.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 26 Feb 2019 19:54
by Hannibal Lecter
After the initial rush that place died. They were a joke.

I suspect the reason for the move is two-fold: lower rent and the total change in concept to more of a kid's birthday party place.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 12 Mar 2019 11:23
by tamtagon
Dallas Graffiti Artist Mosquito died. Rest in peace.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 12 Mar 2019 11:52
by The_Overdog
reason for the move is two-fold: lower rent change in concept to more of a kid's birthday party place.


Maybe they wanted to change in concept, but lower rent? LOL. It was 500 sq ft in an alley. Did they need change for their $20 or something?

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 12 Mar 2019 14:41
by Hannibal Lecter
^ I meant $/SF. That stretch of Elm is one of the, if not the, priciest areas in DE.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 12 Mar 2019 16:55
by ericthegardener
tamtagon wrote:Dallas Graffiti Artist Mosquito died. Rest in peace.


It's been years since I would have seen him, but he was a nice guy. Sorry to hear this.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 12 Mar 2019 17:16
by DPatel304
One of the oldest and longest-running live-music clubs in Deep Ellum is pulling the plug. Curtain Club, which has been open at 2800 Main St. for more than 20 years, will close on June 30.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/enter ... um-closed/

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 12 Mar 2019 17:36
by Dtown214
tamtagon wrote:Dallas Graffiti Artist Mosquito died. Rest in peace.

Very sad to hear!

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 27 Mar 2019 09:41
by DPatel304
Image

This banner was displayed on this building (across the street from Bottled Blonde):
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7854552 ... 384!8i8192

So I guess it's official, this northern section of Deep Ellum is now Uptown 2.0

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 27 Mar 2019 09:50
by jetnd87
Haha was talking about this with a buddy yesterday. Concrete Cowboy expected to make the move as well. God willing these soulless establishments will stay on the newer north end and out of the heart of Deep Ellum.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 27 Mar 2019 09:59
by DPatel304
jetnd87 wrote:Haha was talking about this with a buddy yesterday. Concrete Cowboy expected to make the move as well.


I figured they would all move together. Honestly, with Clutch officially moving from Uptown, it's pretty much game over for the party scene in Uptown. It's been dying for the past year or so, and this will certainly speed things along, as I'm sure this move is making a few other establishments think about an exit strategy.

I'm super excited about this as I do feel like the party scene in Uptown just doesn't quite fit into the neighborhood at all these days. I'm not a NIMBY by any means, I understand that we need a party scene and I welcome one, but Deep Ellum makes so much more sense than Uptown. This intersection in particular was probably the worst, because it would get the most crowded, yet it had the narrowest sidewalks, and a relatively higher speed road right outside of it.

God willing these soulless establishments will stay on the newer north end and out of the heart of Deep Ellum.


I hope that is the case as well. I mean, to be fair, I guess Deep Ellum already feels a lot like Uptown 2.0 in a lot of ways these days, but I still hope the two areas can still remain separate. I was really hoping that these Uptown bars would all agree to move somewhere completely new and start a new nightlife district, but I suppose Deep Ellum makes sense, and there is plenty of room for all there.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 27 Mar 2019 10:51
by tamtagon
I wish we could have a geographic Deep Ellum designation that could operate full service 24 hours a day, exempt from all blue law remnants.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 27 Mar 2019 11:14
by eburress
Beauty Bar is also moving to Deep Ellum. I believe this weekend is their last on Henderson.

https://dallas.eater.com/2018/12/19/181 ... deep-ellum

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 27 Mar 2019 11:32
by exelone31
DPatel304 wrote:Image

This banner was displayed on this building (across the street from Bottled Blonde):
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7854552 ... 384!8i8192

So I guess it's official, this northern section of Deep Ellum is now Uptown 2.0


That is a real bummer. I have always thought that building would be really cool as a diner or something like that.

The writing seems to have been on the wall for a while, but it is odd to see it play out. Deep Ellum may be able to support separate crowds, but I think the frat-rification is ultimately unstoppable.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 27 Mar 2019 11:36
by dzh
tamtagon wrote:I wish we could have a geographic Deep Ellum designation that could operate full service 24 hours a day, exempt from all blue law remnants.


It honestly does shock me how there aren’t exemption areas from the state’s 2am last call law. I’m sure it’s much more complex than I’m making it seem, but I do know of cities in other states that were successful in having exemption areas. How would one go about starting to push this idea?

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 27 Mar 2019 12:28
by tamtagon
^I think it's still against city ordinance to dance in public in Dallas after 4:00am.

Amen

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 28 Mar 2019 12:44
by cowboyeagle05
S4 is one of the very few legal places to operate a dance club after 2am.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 28 Mar 2019 14:02
by DPatel304
Doesn't Lizard Lounge and It'll Do also stay open after 2am? But yeah, like you said, there aren't too many spots that stay open late.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 28 Mar 2019 15:10
by TreeFrog
DPatel304 wrote:Doesn't Lizard Lounge and It'll Do also stay open after 2am? But yeah, like you said, there aren't too many spots that stay open late.


Lizard Lounge is open until 4AM. It'll Do is 2AM.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 28 Mar 2019 15:27
by Tivo_Kenevil
Evolution of Deep Ellum..

Punk, Hard-core, post-hardcore, douche-core.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 28 Mar 2019 16:19
by exelone31
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Evolution of Deep Ellum..

Punk, Hard-core, post-hardcore, douche-core.


:lol: this is quality

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 28 Mar 2019 17:04
by cowboyeagle05
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Evolution of Deep Ellum..

Punk, Hard-core, post-hardcore, douche-core.


That's funny I didn't notice the difference.(IDGAF shield activate)

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 28 Mar 2019 18:22
by Matt777
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Evolution of Deep Ellum..

Punk, Hard-core, post-hardcore, douche-core.


Punk itself was an evolution of the neighborhood. It was a blues and soul neighborhood originally. Deep Ellum is always evolving and as long as it keeps its old bones, I say keep evolving and keep a little bit of each evolution. It's one of the things that makes it awesome and unique!

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 09 Apr 2019 18:24
by DPatel304
DEEP ELLUM TO IMPLEMENT SPECIFIC DROP-OFF/PICK-UP ZONES FOR UBER & LYFT DRIVERS.
Starting April 18, Uber & Lyft Drivers Will Only Be Able To Pick Up Or Drop Off Riders At One Of Five Designated Locations Throughout The Neighborhood.

Drivers will now be asked to pick up and drop off their rideshare clientele in one of five agreed-upon zones:

On Good Latimer Expressway by the neon Deep Ellum sign (near the future home of Punch Bowl Social)
On Malcolm X Boulevard, just north of its intersection with Indiana Street (alongside the Broadstone Ambrose apartment complex)
On Commerce Street just west of its intersection with Malcolm X Boulevard (across the street from Zatar Lebanese Tapas & Bar)
On Swiss Avenue, just west of its intersection with Good Latimer Expressway (between the Deep Ellum DART stop and Lizard Lounge)
On Pryor Street, which was recently converted into a two-way strip, right between Main Street and Commerce Street (between Pecan Lodge and Ruins)

https://www.centraltrack.com/deep-ellum ... t-drivers/

I think this is long overdue, and seems like it's the first major step to eventually shutting down Elm St on Fri/Sat.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 09 Apr 2019 23:28
by Matt777
Someone posted this video on Deep Ellum History in the Dallas History Guild Facebook page. It's quite informative and interesting, even though it was a project by a 7th grader back in 2012. It also has a song from the 1930's that I'd never heard before, "Deep Ellum Blues." Apparently the Grateful Dead did a cover of this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSWfcMab3Aw

"If you go down to deep elm put your money in your shoes
The women in deep elem, they give you the deep elem blues
Oh, sweet mama, your daddy's got them deep elem blues
Once I had a girlfriend, she meant the world to me
She went down to deep elem, now, she ain't what she used to be
Once I knew a preacher, preached the bible through and through
He went sown to deep elem, now, his preaching days are through
When you go down to deep elem to have a little fun
Have your ten dollars ready when the police man comes
When yo go down to deep elem put your money in your pants
'Cause the women in deep elem, they don't give a man a chance
Oh, sweet mama, your daddy's got them deep elem blues"

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 10 Apr 2019 00:15
by hjkll
I was out in Deep Ellum on Friday during the evening/night and I have never seen the neighborhood so packed. So many new businesses people, etc. You can literally feel all the energy going to these few blocks. I've never seen so many people out in Dallas at one time, it was hard to walk and this wasn't even in the actual Arts Festival that was sectioned off.

I hope the fringes of Deep Ellum start taking off.

The Uber/Lyft mandate is a good idea. Commerce Main and Elm should all be shut down between 7 and 2 Fridays and Saturdays.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 10 Apr 2019 09:18
by dd_dweller
What’s going on with the demolition of the building on elm and hall? Is it part of the continental gin development?

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 10 Apr 2019 09:24
by jetnd87

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 10 Apr 2019 09:47
by dd_dweller
16613EA5-9D68-46E8-AD86-810EF08E3897.jpeg

8BB97968-BCAD-4C1C-8F68-E32AAF2A4CCA.png


The circled part I believe is different. I only see the plans for the gin site.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 10 Apr 2019 09:54
by DPatel304
hjkll wrote:I hope the fringes of Deep Ellum start taking off.


Elm St. is a huge hit on the weekends. Now we need to see more activity on the fringes and also more activity during the weekdays as well. The additional residential should hopefully help with that, but we still have a ways to go.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 10 Apr 2019 11:41
by Roman_Patrick
I agree, Deep Ellum is so full of life and energy... I really hope they decide to close down the main streets Fri-Sat nights. The Lyft and Uber new drop off locations, is a great place to start.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 16 Apr 2019 11:06
by gbud
]In the past couple days, the building to the north of the Case Building was demolished. I was surprised to see how fast it went down. Would anyone happen to know the reason behind this? I seriously hope it is not a parking lot or parking garage.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/334+Hall+St,+Dallas,+TX+75226/@32.7862543,-96.779018,189m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864e98c3a9bdf26f:0xa291fe820b99ca2d!8m2!3d32.7863118!4d-96.7787666

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:33
by ArtVandelay
gbud wrote:]In the past couple days, the building to the north of the Case Building was demolished. I was surprised to see how fast it went down. Would anyone happen to know the reason behind this? I seriously hope it is not a parking lot or parking garage.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/334+Hall+St,+Dallas,+TX+75226/@32.7862543,-96.779018,189m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864e98c3a9bdf26f:0xa291fe820b99ca2d!8m2!3d32.7863118!4d-96.7787666


Hope Lodge: https://www.cancer.org/treatment/suppor ... ility.html

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:55
by Matt777
ArtVandelay wrote:
gbud wrote:]In the past couple days, the building to the north of the Case Building was demolished. I was surprised to see how fast it went down. Would anyone happen to know the reason behind this? I seriously hope it is not a parking lot or parking garage.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/334+Hall+St,+Dallas,+TX+75226/@32.7862543,-96.779018,189m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864e98c3a9bdf26f:0xa291fe820b99ca2d!8m2!3d32.7863118!4d-96.7787666


Hope Lodge: https://www.cancer.org/treatment/suppor ... ility.html


What a beautiful and good-hearted facility. I lost my father to a long cancer battle last year, so I have seen how taxing it can be for cancer patients who have to travel constantly for treatment. These kind of facilities take the burden off of patients, especially those who might not be as fortunate financially.

That being said.... I find this to be an odd location for it. Getting good rest is important for these patients and being so close to the entertainment district in DE doesn't seem quiet or peaceful. I hope that they are investing in good soundproofing. During the day, it will be a nice area for patients and their families to be able to walk around and eat close by, though.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 16 Apr 2019 15:16
by Hannibal Lecter
gbud wrote:I seriously hope it is not a parking lot or parking garage.


An example of the disconnect between the people on this forum and the people who live, work and own businesses in Deep Ellum.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 16 Apr 2019 16:33
by Hannibal Lecter
Matt777 wrote:That being said.... I find this to be an odd location for it. Getting good rest is important for these patients and being so close to the entertainment district in DE doesn't seem quiet or peaceful. I hope that they are investing in good soundproofing. During the day, it will be a nice area for patients and their families to be able to walk around and eat close by, though.


It's a very noisy location, but not for the reason you mention. It's adjacent to the DART rail line crossing, with the bells and train whistles every few minutes. It's one block from the Baylor ER and heliport, with the ambulances and Careflight helicopters 24/7. It's two blocks from Fire Station number 3, one of the city's busiest stations and HQ for the Hazmat team. And it's three blocks from the Central Division police station.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 16 Apr 2019 17:44
by gbud
Hannibal Lecter wrote:
gbud wrote:I seriously hope it is not a parking lot or parking garage.


An example of the disconnect between the people on this forum and the people who live, work and own businesses in Deep Ellum.


hah an example of how the people on this forum think they know the people who use this forum. I work in Deep Ellum and go through its streets everyday. I am familiar with the dynamics of the neighborhood and the evolution it has had in the last couple years. With that, I'll say it again, I seriously hope no more parking lots are built in this neighborhood.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 17 Apr 2019 02:22
by willyk
Clearly, proximity to Baylor/Sammons Cancer Center is the key to this location.

I suspect that Baylor has acquired much real estate in the neighborhood for expansion. I fear that these properties will sit as parking lots or underutilized buildings perpetually. I don’t know if the American Cancer Society acquired this site from Baylor, but the sooner that these warehoused properties are put into service, even for hospital related uses, the better for the neighborhood.

And it is a wonderful amenity for people coming here for treatment.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 17 Apr 2019 04:58
by Hannibal Lecter
The building they're tearing down for this was occupied by Elm Street Motors. The same folks who sold their property a couple blocks away for the new BS&W HQ. I don't think they'd even been in this building for a year. They never even updated their website. http://www.elmstreetmotors.com/contact/default.html

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 17 Apr 2019 09:21
by cowboyeagle05
Baylor is the major employer in this neighborhood so I am sure they have been courting all kinds of ancillary uses to soak up property around their main campus. Stuff that will increase their medical district designation they would like to have. Before it was just Baylor now with more reinvestment by more medical industry businesses they increase their value and the profile of their urban campus. It was sleepy before and by encouraging things like A&M dental school expansion, and this cancer-related hotel they increase the activity of the neighborhood. I am sure they have plans for more buildings they want to add to their own list of needs but adding hotels, office buildings full of GP doctors and specialists along with retail/restaurants that cater to hospital visitors and staff they make Baylor Dallas more of a serious medical district. The Deep Ellum stuff while beneficial in small doses is possibly more of a nuisance for them because they aren't interested in a troublesome entertainment district that clogs access to their hospital. They would rather see more residential development to provide an adequate level of living for nurses, doctors, and other medical staff.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 17 Apr 2019 10:07
by Matt777
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Baylor is the major employer in this neighborhood so I am sure they have been courting all kinds of ancillary uses to soak up property around their main campus. Stuff that will increase their medical district designation they would like to have. Before it was just Baylor now with more reinvestment by more medical industry businesses they increase their value and the profile of their urban campus. It was sleepy before and by encouraging things like A&M dental school expansion, and this cancer-related hotel they increase the activity of the neighborhood. I am sure they have plans for more buildings they want to add to their own list of needs but adding hotels, office buildings full of GP doctors and specialists along with retail/restaurants that cater to hospital visitors and staff they make Baylor Dallas more of a serious medical district. The Deep Ellum stuff while beneficial in small doses is possibly more of a nuisance for them because they aren't interested in a troublesome entertainment district that clogs access to their hospital. They would rather see more residential development to provide an adequate level of living for nurses, doctors, and other medical staff.


I'm okay with Baylor and other medical orgs expanding and growing, but I think it should be on their side of the DART rail tracks. Growing into Deep Ellum is an odd move to me. There's plenty of underutilized land in East Dallas surrounding their campus off of Gaston, Haskell, and Live Oak. Loads of surface parking. Seeing this area become a mini medical district, mixed use, would be great.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 17 Apr 2019 21:21
by HarryMoto
Matt777 wrote:Someone posted this video on Deep Ellum History in the Dallas History Guild Facebook page. It's quite informative and interesting, even though it was a project by a 7th grader back in 2012. It also has a song from the 1930's that I'd never heard before, "Deep Ellum Blues." Apparently the Grateful Dead did a cover of this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSWfcMab3Aw


Yes, "Deep Elem Blues" (the official spelling of the song) is a classic of Texas blues, first recorded in the mid-1930s. It is a shame that the neighborhood's blues heritage has pretty much evaporated.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 28 Apr 2019 17:30
by R1070
What’s going in the plot of land at Hall and Elm across from the Case? The lot there is cleared with fencing.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 28 Apr 2019 22:56
by willyk
It’s quite clear that one hotel won’t be enough for DE. If I could pick, that’s what I would want there. A hotel at that location would draw from DE, Baylor Hospital and the new Baylor Admin, and would do quite well.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 28 Apr 2019 23:36
by R1070
I was just thinking today that we will most likely see more hotels pop up around there.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 29 Apr 2019 10:18
by Hannibal Lecter
R1070 wrote:What’s going in the plot of land at Hall and Elm across from the Case? The lot there is cleared with fencing.

Look back about 10 messages. Hope Lodge: https://www.cancer.org/treatment/suppor ... ility.html

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 02 May 2019 09:38
by UrbanBiker
willyk wrote:Clearly, proximity to Baylor/Sammons Cancer Center is the key to this location.

I suspect that Baylor has acquired much real estate in the neighborhood for expansion. I fear that these properties will sit as parking lots or underutilized buildings perpetually. I don’t know if the American Cancer Society acquired this site from Baylor, but the sooner that these warehoused properties are put into service, even for hospital related uses, the better for the neighborhood.

And it is a wonderful amenity for people coming here for treatment.


Seems like Baylor also owns the property across the street (Elm and Hall).

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 02 May 2019 12:40
by lakewoodhobo
Reel FX is leaving Deep Ellum and moving to 717 N Harwood, according to this: https://t.co/bHsgaBPIUG

Their building on Crowdus St. is 73,000 sqft and the new lease downtown is for 25,000... not totally surprising considering how they've been downsizing for some time.

I'm curious to know if there's demand for the existing building as office space or if developers are looking to tear it down for new residential.

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 12.42.36 PM.jpg

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 02 May 2019 14:30
by Matt777
How insane is it to think that this parcel could be combined with the Marquis on Gaston property to the north for a huge mixed-use urban development straddling the train tracks? Call it the Deep Ellum Rail Yard or something trendy like that and I could see office, retail, hotel, and residential development partners jumping on the chance to be a part of it.

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Posted: 02 May 2019 22:16
by Tnexster
I see a lot of surface parking right there, lots of opportunity to go up.