Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Oak Cliff: Wynnewood Village

itsjrd1964

Oak Cliff: Wynnewood Village

Postby itsjrd1964 » 31 May 2019 04:06

Yes, it's been mentioned in other Oak Cliff-related threads, but it looks like the work at Wynnewood is at a level that deserves it's own thread IMO.

Incoming/upcoming:
* LA Fitness, with its foundation going in now, on the site of a torn-down office building. Completion is set for later this year.
* Raising Cane's, signed up but nothing more specific in the article
* Maya Cinemas, a 14-screen theater with a Hispanic angle, has not started on its construction but the developer is saying it should open by the latter half of next year

More will apparently be announced later as far as other activity/additions/tenants. The City is working on storm water/drainage issues in the vicinity, with that work scheduled to be done later this year.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... later-year
https://www.brixmor.com/re-development/ ... od-village

lakewoodhobo

Re: Oak Cliff: Wynnewood Village

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Jul 2019 21:31

Photo taken today of LA Fitness under construction. Moving a lot faster now that all the foundation work is done:

IMG_0344.jpg

Rendering for reference: Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jul 2019 09:41

One thing we will have to keep in mind here is that new tenants will take some settling time to see if the demographics work out for them. Wynnewood is changing physically and the neighborhoods are seeing changes too but time will tell if new tenants will truly be able to grab the right mix of locals and new neighborhood transplants.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 17 Jul 2019 10:57

I believe they will have no issues financially with the demographics of this area is area. Homes prices in this area are actually on the higher side nowadays and for someone to be able to afford a home in this area, they should be able to afford a $45 gym membership or a $15 movie ticket if they wanted to do so. Unfortunately I believe the Oak Cliff neighborhood as a whole is just under served.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jul 2019 11:05

Let me explain myself further what I mean is I assume they will be trying to allure the Cheesecake Factories of the world or Glorias or other higher-end chains into the mix and that some may open but some may not survive over a short time in the renovated center.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Jul 2019 11:13

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Let me explain myself further what I mean is I assume they will be trying to allure the Cheesecake Factories of the world or Glorias or other higher-end chains into the mix and that some may open but some may not survive over a short time in the renovated center.

I think they are aware of this to an extent. Case in point: the only other new tenant besides Maya Cinemas and LA that's been announced, and the first one that'll open since the Wynnewood 2.0 announcement, is Raising Cane's.

I don't see them going for Cheesecake Factory or Gloria's anytime soon. This is more of a play for Chipotle and Starbucks.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 Jul 2019 13:21

I know at least three family groups who've recently moved into this general Wynwood area -- all are 80s/90s East Dallas/Deep Ellum/Expo/Fair Park resident artists and/or musicians, among the first waves of folks to gentrify Bishop Arts & Oak Cliff. All three groups are now making a southern move from North Oak Cliff area. This demographic has grown up and been raising children for a bit and many will be greater Wynwood area for another generation. The change seen in North Oak Cliff most popularized through Bishop Arts will happen again.

We should already start looking at Camp Wisdom educational institutions and what they should become. South Dallas is where downtown was 20 years ago.