Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

West Dallas: Trinity Groves

ContriveDallasite

Re: West Dallas: Trinity Groves

Postby ContriveDallasite » 17 Jul 2018 10:12

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:New Hotel is a go at Trinity Groves.

They mention the possibility of adding a rail component to the project. Interesting

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Hotel ... 27621.html

Those renderings look out of place and ridiculous. 9mm SQFT plus planned commuter rail station? I am all for shooting sky high, but in this neighborhood I really think we should stay midrise. Let's fill out those surface lots downtown before we start thinking about 40 stories in Trinity Groves.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 17 Jul 2018 10:37

They mention the possibility of adding a rail component to the project. Interesting

I can’t imagine seeing buildings that tall in West Dallas. It seems like a very aggressive plan. I agree with ContriveDallasite, I’d rather see Downtown fully develop too. I believe the more we start to focus on other areas before Downtown, it’s going to compete with it way too early. Our Downtown needs to be very strong and vibrant so other developments don’t stifle its growth. Downtown is still in its maturing phase. Let’s focus on the center first and get it to the point where new developments complement Downtown. So, that West Dallas doesn’t become (and other locations) a “better alternative” to Downtown. Gotta make the core strong first!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jul 2018 10:40

ContriveDallasite wrote:

Those renderings look out of place and ridiculous. 9mm SQFT plus planned commuter rail station? I am all for shooting sky high, but in this neighborhood I really think we should stay midrise. Let's fill out those surface lots downtown before we start thinking about 40 stories in Trinity Groves.

This does look insanely ambitious and unrealistic, but I am also glad they are thinking big with this particular plot of land since it fronts the Trinity River. I would like to see most of West Dallas fill out with mid-rises, however, I would like to see something like what is proposed along the Trinity.

With that said, I'm extremely skeptical this will happen anytime soon (if at all).

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 17 Jul 2018 11:17

Let's drink a little of the Kool Aid and assume that all of this gets built according to plan. Does anyone think a development of that magnitude would give the city the kick in the tail it needs to finally get things rolling on the Trinity Park? It seems like all this investment is done with the mind of having a "world class" amenity within walking distance.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jul 2018 11:27

exelone31 wrote:Let's drink a little of the Kool Aid and assume that all of this gets built according to plan. Does anyone think a development of that magnitude would give the city the kick in the tail it needs to finally get things rolling on the Trinity Park? It seems like all this investment is done with the mind of having a "world class" amenity within walking distance.

Absolutely. Maybe I'm giving Dallas too much credit here, but a part of me thinks that this is their plan and this is why they have been dragging their feet on the park recently. Maybe they want the surrounding plots of land in West Dallas and the Design District to develop and, hopefully, some private funds will help get this park going.

EDIT: This also applies to Turtle Creek in the Design District. There's a reason Virgin decided to locate themselves right next to the creek, and I think it's only a matter of time before it's transformed into something greater.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Jul 2018 12:34

The only way there will be high-rises in Trinity Groves is in the extremely unlikely scenario that they get HQ2. After Cypress Phase 2 and this hotel are done, I wouldn't be surprised if demand takes a long time to catch up.

Cypress Phase 1 may be full per that story, but Trinity Green has a ton of units under construction and I'd rather see these two areas blend together before something like Skyhouse Trinity Groves breaks ground.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jul 2018 13:34

dallaz wrote:

I can’t imagine seeing buildings that tall in West Dallas. It seems like a very aggressive plan. I agree with ContriveDallasite, I’d rather see Downtown fully develop too. I believe the more we start to focus on other areas before Downtown, it’s going to compete with it way too early. Our Downtown needs to be very strong and vibrant so other developments don’t stifle its growth. Downtown is still in its maturing phase. Let’s focus on the center first and get it to the point where new developments complement Downtown. So, that West Dallas doesn’t become (and other locations) a “better alternative” to Downtown. Gotta make the core strong first!

Development goes where the investment money goes and where people want to be. Downtown has been growing because Uptown has lifted it out of the shadows. Deep Ellum has become an opportunity because Uptown has become pricey and one developer finally was able to purchase most of the core of Deep Ellum from a long list of smaller owners unifying redevelopment efforts.

Developers go where they can buy cheap land and see potential demand growth if they make it attractive along with if they can wrangle some incentives from the city. Downtown will flourish with more surrounding inner-city neighborhoods are feeding it. The CBD is not the center of Dallas it is the bottom edge of renewed economic activity and needs things like Trinity Groves to create energy and traffic. Surround the CBD with more flourishing neighborhoods of activity and energy and the CBD will rise like the phoenix. The success of West Dallas, Oak Cliff, Design District, Uptown, Victory, Cedars, Deep Ellum, Riverfront, Southside etc will be the CBD seeing rising investment interest from being at the center of it all.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jul 2018 14:17

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Developers go where they can buy cheap land and see potential demand growth if they make it attractive along with if they can wrangle some incentives from the city. Downtown will flourish with more surrounding inner-city neighborhoods are feeding it. The CBD is not the center of Dallas it is the bottom edge of renewed economic activity and needs things like Trinity Groves to create energy and traffic. Surround the CBD with more flourishing neighborhoods of activity and energy and the CBD will rise like the phoenix. The success of West Dallas, Oak Cliff, Design District, Uptown, Victory, Cedars, Deep Ellum, Riverfront, Southside etc will be the CBD seeing rising investment interest from being at the center of it all.

Yep, that's exactly how I see it as well. These areas are not competing with each other, they are complementing each other. In the end, the CBD will be the big winner, because it will be the center of the urban core.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 17 Jul 2018 15:33

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
dallaz wrote:

Development goes where the investment money goes and where people want to be. Downtown has been growing because Uptown has lifted it out of the shadows. Deep Ellum has become an opportunity because Uptown has become pricey and one developer finally was able to purchase most of the core of Deep Ellum from a long list of smaller owners unifying redevelopment efforts.

Developers go where they can buy cheap land and see potential demand growth if they make it attractive along with if they can wrangle some incentives from the city. Downtown will flourish with more surrounding inner-city neighborhoods are feeding it. The CBD is not the center of Dallas it is the bottom edge of renewed economic activity and needs things like Trinity Groves to create energy and traffic. Surround the CBD with more flourishing neighborhoods of activity and energy and the CBD will rise like the phoenix. The success of West Dallas, Oak Cliff, Design District, Uptown, Victory, Cedars, Deep Ellum, Riverfront, Southside etc will be the CBD seeing rising investment interest from being at the center of it all.

That’s an interesting take on it. Only time will tell if that’s the case...

Hopefully, it is.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jul 2018 15:48

I'd say that theory has already been proven. Uptown started the revitalization, and that has spilled over into other parts of the urban core.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Jul 2018 16:37

DPatel304 wrote:I'd say that theory has already been proven. Uptown started the revitalization, and that has spilled over into other parts of the urban core.

... helped along by hundreds of millions of dollars of subsidies.

willyk

Postby willyk » 17 Jul 2018 22:21

Mr. Contrarian/Wet Blanket here. This is froth froth froth. If this thing gets funding then the time has come to sell sell sell.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 18 Jul 2018 02:21

willyk wrote:Mr. Contrarian/Wet Blanket here. This is froth froth froth. If this thing gets funding then the time has come to sell sell sell.

When a development in Dallas starts looking like Sheikh Zayed road in Dubai, that's when it's a little too much.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Jul 2018 08:23

Not to mention Downtown Dallas has had millions of incentives available for decades and it goes as fast as demand seems to push it. Trinity Groves only recently was added to the Victory Park tif but developers are seeing more opportunity there for a number of reasons and overall its good for the future of the CBD. There is no money attached to train line to Trinity Groves and DART has no plans to go there in the next 10-30yrs minimum. It's an empty promise other than if some big player like Amazon says we want to be there then Dallas and DART will jump on finding money along with the RTC and NCTCOG.

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 21 Jul 2018 05:11

incentives and subsidies are the name of the game for major developments. Toyota didn't move to Plano out of the goodness of their hearts.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 21 Jul 2018 07:19

People used to be skeptical about Uptown. Now there's plans to demolish the first apartments and replace them with something bigger and better. Trinity Groves will match the renderings in the same way the Victory Park matched the it's renderings, I don't that West Dallas can support the bad-assed Trinity Groves vision.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Jul 2018 12:18

Dallas' pool of highly educated residents stacks up favorably for Amazon's HQ2

For those that can see, a nice render of TG with Amazon in place.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ks-up.html