Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Oak Lawn

Cbdallas

Re: Oak Lawn

Postby Cbdallas » 18 Oct 2019 11:11

Does anyone know what is taking the old Cedar Grove restaurant space on the corner of the Ilume building. work is taking place inside.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 22 Oct 2019 18:53

Looks like something is going into the old Zephyr space too.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 22 Oct 2019 21:30

Looks like the Strip redevelopment construction will start on Oct 28 , after the Halloween Block Party weekend.

https://dallasvoice.com/construction-se ... ings-road/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Oct 2019 13:26

Yeah, they have been marking the area with spray paint for the underground utilities for the past week. Also, Warwick is already pouring a new sidewalk and yes it's narrow without street parking.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 26 Oct 2019 00:28

muncien

Postby muncien » 28 Oct 2019 09:34

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Re: Rainbow crosswalks

https://www.wired.com/story/pedestrian- ... rosswalks/

I get that you don't want cities just to put up whatever pattern they want, or introducing unnoticeable designs, but prohibiting anything other than the standard seems overkill. I could certainly see that if all crosswalks (or, a good portion of them) were different from each other, it would diminish their presence. That would be a problem. But if they simply restrict how many 'custom' crosswalks there are in a city to say 5%, and make sure they are obviously crosswalks, I think that would make sense. I don't see anything inherently dangerous about rainbow crosswalks.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Oct 2019 10:03

Not to mention the article points out that pedestrian deaths have increased over the last decade but even their own data points to other reasons, not that crosswalk patterns are non-federally approved designs. When its gonna matter is if someone can sue the city successfully claiming the non-federally approved standard was broken and that someone was injured "because" it wasn't an approved design. The Feds like to swing this kind of bat though cause they aren't concerned with cultural sensitivity or diversity if the feds had their way they would beige everything so there is no varied standard and everything is the same. The feds are interested in anything other than making everything the same because its pratical and simple.

This is a battle worth having and I do think it's worth studying the actual results from making crosswalks more prominent with cultural influence. These projects bring awareness to a steep need in the pedestrian focus of our traffic management planning. Such projects serve significant community impact so I think its worth seeing if the Feds can be stonewalled...

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Oct 2019 11:21

Yeah to even IMPLY that a colorful crosswalk is more dangerous than the way a street is designed, particularly when it comes to speed, is laughable and anyone making that suggestion should be tarred and feathered.

j_d_p

Postby j_d_p » 28 Oct 2019 13:26

Cbdallas wrote:Does anyone know what is taking the old Cedar Grove restaurant space on the corner of the Ilume building. work is taking place inside.

Looks like the subdivided the space into two. There is still a lot of leftover furniture inside though so unsure if there is any tenant actually moving in or they are just re-marketing it as two separate spaces.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 28 Oct 2019 14:38

I think 2 smaller spaces will be better. I always felt that one space was too large for a restaurant for that space. Hopeful we can see a new concept open there.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 28 Oct 2019 19:51

If we could get that Bank of America lot redeveloped into something mixed use, that would be a great spot for a trendy hotel like Moxy and some fun restaurant space.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Oct 2019 14:51

j_d_p wrote:
Cbdallas wrote:Does anyone know what is taking the old Cedar Grove restaurant space on the corner of the Ilume building. work is taking place inside.

Looks like the subdivided the space into two. There is still a lot of leftover furniture inside though so unsure if there is any tenant actually moving in or they are just re-marketing it as two separate spaces.

What happened to that restaurant? Seemed like it blew up into a big deal and then disappeared almost overnight.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 12 Nov 2019 14:45

https://candysdirt.com/2019/11/12/oak-lawn-committee-sees-dream-hotel-spark-another-hotel/

5205-4217 Herschel; Herschel Senior Living

The first thing the Oak Lawn Committee asked of the developer was to return with “a legible presentation.” Amen. I’ve bagged on these guys for their terrible presentations since their first trip to the OLC. It’s still not going to win any presentation awards, but there’s more there.

The above graphic shows their zoned height (240-feet) and what they’re proposing (142-feet + 15-feet for elevator housing and mechanicals). They’re also showing it in reference to nearby buildings – two stories plus mechanicals taller than the Park Highlander condos – so not outlandish. They do want to increase FAR from 4.5 to 5.5 of buildable square footage for each square footage of lot. That increase results in two additional floors – not dire. Some protesters say the height will “stick out like a sore thumb”. Not really. And in theory, it could stick out 10 more stories.

They’re proposing 140 units total with 64 parking spaces, all but a dozen underground. That might seem like too few parking spaces, but code only requires 42 for senior living and besides, do you want people in “memory care” to be driving anyway?

I’ve never had a problem with this project’s intentions. The issues arose from their slapdash presentation causing them to revisit the Oak Lawn Committee multiple times. Will this iteration be enough? We’ll see.