Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

User avatar
worldwoh
Posts: 7
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 10:33

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby worldwoh » 11 Oct 2017 15:32

From the Crimson Building Co. facebook page: "It's going to be located on the south side of Melba west of Madison"

While that description leaves open a number of possible locations, I think we can expect that the development depicted in this new rendering will span the block between Madison and Bishop, with Melba to the north and 9th street to the south. That makes sense considering the rendering is described as "Phase 1," and city block south of Melba has already been cleared for construction and is nearest to the rest of Bishop arts. Whether it's north facing (towards Melba) or south facing (towards 9th), I'm not sure. Although if I were to guess based on the renderings, I would still say it is south facing because the sunset is depicted to the left of the buildings (West).

User avatar
Dettmann1
Posts: 36
Joined: 10 Jan 2017 09:05

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Dettmann1 » 11 Oct 2017 16:13

ericthegardener wrote:
Dettmann1 wrote:I'm guessing dirt will be moving in short order on that one!


I hope so! I like it too, though I'm not quite sure how it interacts with the street from those new renders. Looks like there's a field in front of it or something.


I think the field is just a visual thing so that they can provide a wide view of what is being built. It's a fairly common practice on a render as if you had everything that existed, it would be difficult to see what the finished product would look like.

User avatar
ericthegardener
Posts: 71
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 20:32

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby ericthegardener » 11 Oct 2017 16:40

Dettmann1 wrote:I think the field is just a visual thing so that they can provide a wide view of what is being built. It's a fairly common practice on a render as if you had everything that existed, it would be difficult to see what the finished product would look like.


Got ya. So the area where the tents are would be Melba. Thanks!

User avatar
Thymant
Posts: 137
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 17:23

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Thymant » 20 Dec 2017 17:42

Image
Bishop Arts CVS 1 by Thymant, on Flickr

Image
Bishop Arts CVS 2 by Thymant, on Flickr

Well for what it's worth it's the best stand alone CVS that I have seen

DPatel304
Posts: 1067
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Dec 2017 17:54

Thanks for the pictures! I still hate that this is taking up such a prime location, but, I agree, it's better than what I was expecting. I was expecting a copycat of what they built in Uptown.

Does CVS own the land that they are building these stand-alone stores? I'm just wondering what the long term plan is here. Both this and the location in Uptown could be put to better use, so I'm wondering if the CVS is just a way to use the land temporarily, let the value go up even more, and build something more grand in 10 years or so.

User avatar
ericthegardener
Posts: 71
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 20:32

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby ericthegardener » 20 Dec 2017 20:25

Has anyone heard any rumors about stores or restaurants that might be coming to any of these Bishop Arts developments? The one at the northwest corner of Zang and Davis couldn't be too far away now.

Agree about the CVS. I did not want it there, but at least they've made some effort to make it look good. Is that the result of any behind the scenes wrangling on the part of Scott Griggs?

User avatar
Dettmann1
Posts: 36
Joined: 10 Jan 2017 09:05

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Dettmann1 » 21 Dec 2017 10:06

That CVS actually looks really good and way better than expected.

With regards to tenants for Bishop Arts Station (The Alamo Manhattan project), I haven't heard any names on tenants, but it appears they only have two spaces left that aren't leased unless i'm reading it wrong - https://shopcompanies.com/sites/default/files/bishop-arts-station-presentation.pdf

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 679
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 26 Dec 2017 12:39

A developer is building retail and restaurant space on the NW corner of Davis and Vernon. Not sure I scaled the drawing correctly, but it looks like it'll complement that block very nicely, with the bonus of a patio.

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 12.25.43 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ericthegardener
Posts: 71
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 20:32

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby ericthegardener » 26 Dec 2017 17:46

Is that next to Oak Cliff Coffee Goods and Spinster Records and all those stores? I was wondering what was going on there.

User avatar
mwaskow
Posts: 32
Joined: 24 Mar 2017 14:47

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby mwaskow » 26 Dec 2017 22:32

lakewoodhobo wrote:A developer is building retail and restaurant space on the NW corner of Davis and Vernon. Not sure I scaled the drawing correctly, but it looks like it'll complement that block very nicely, with the bonus of a patio.

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 12.25.43 PM.png


This is the developer behind the project. http://www.blackwooddevelopments.com/po ... -district/

This is an LA group selling off their projects in Santa Monica and bringing their money to Dallas in the form of new developments and the purchase of C class apartments in South Dallas and the Bachman Lake area. I think these guys jive very well with the motif of Bishop Arts.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1436
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Dec 2017 11:31

What is funny is when you read some info on one of the apartment projects they are redoing it says it's near the new Whole Foods development. I assume they mean the land HEB bought to in some distant future to build a Central Market unless they know something the rest of us don't. http://www.blackwooddevelopments.com/portfolio/bishop-arts-portfolio/

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 679
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Jan 2018 17:16

I've been avoiding the Bishop/Melba area for a few months and went by this afternoon. It was a bit overwhelming to see so much new construction finally wrapping up. Most curious about the Exxir/Nazerian project, where Phase 1 looks done. One restaurant looks like just days away from opening, and another has their liquor license notice on the window.

IMG_3427.jpg
IMG_3426.jpg


Phase 2 is just getting started behind the little artwork plaza they've had there for a while, but you can already tell this will be a much larger structure than 1.

IMG_3425.jpg
IMG_3430.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
dukemeredith
Posts: 255
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:17
Location: Downtown Dallas

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby dukemeredith » 06 Jan 2018 17:22

Thanks for the pictures, lakewoodhobo!

DPatel304
Posts: 1067
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby DPatel304 » 06 Jan 2018 20:19

Thanks for the pictures!

lakewoodhobo wrote:I've been avoiding the Bishop/Melba area for a few months and went by this afternoon.


I've actually been somewhat avoiding it too. It wasn't intentional, but I don't think I've been to the area since the summer. It would be cool if I happen to avoid it until all of these current projects have completed as the area would feel completely different at that point.

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 353
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby eburress » 07 Jan 2018 11:12

What's interesting is that when you enter Bishop Arts from the west (coming from Tyler St), you don't see any of the new development. It's as if BA hasn't changed at all, at least from a development standpoint. It's only when you head south down Bishop or East on Davis that you see all the change.

User avatar
Dettmann1
Posts: 36
Joined: 10 Jan 2017 09:05

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Dettmann1 » 08 Jan 2018 16:27

lakewoodhobo wrote:
Phase 2 is just getting started behind the little artwork plaza they've had there for a while, but you can already tell this will be a much larger structure than 1.



They have actually started work at the northeast corner of Melba & Bishop as well. The colorful house has been stripped to the studs and it looks like they are fixing it up. In addition. the houses from the intersection to the Bishop Highline building further east have been demoed with formwork being laid for more buildings. Its pretty incredible how much has changed in the last month in that little area.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 313
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby exelone31 » 09 Jan 2018 08:26

Dettmann1 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:
Phase 2 is just getting started behind the little artwork plaza they've had there for a while, but you can already tell this will be a much larger structure than 1.



They have actually started work at the northeast corner of Melba & Bishop as well. The colorful house has been stripped to the studs and it looks like they are fixing it up. In addition. the houses from the intersection to the Bishop Highline building further east have been demoed with formwork being laid for more buildings. Its pretty incredible how much has changed in the last month in that little area.


I've probably missed it, but any word on what that house on the northeast corner is being turned into? That house was a pretty cool little impromptu gathering spot for folks, with the big swing on the tree and artwork on the house.

User avatar
Dettmann1
Posts: 36
Joined: 10 Jan 2017 09:05

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Dettmann1 » 09 Jan 2018 12:01

exelone31 wrote:
I've probably missed it, but any word on what that house on the northeast corner is being turned into? That house was a pretty cool little impromptu gathering spot for folks, with the big swing on the tree and artwork on the house.


It's my understanding that its part of the Exxir Project. They have a couple of pictures on their website in what they are calling "Kemp Plaza" which I believe is that entire area. Looks to be retaining the trees and creating and outdoor plaza area with restaurant shops around surrounding it where possible. Its not a huge area, so it will be interesting to see how they would implement that.

On a side note, I've been pleasantly surprised by the finish on the Bishop Highline buildings, pretty much all brick with minimal siding in areas. These should interact with the street pretty nicely as well.

DPatel304
Posts: 1067
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Jan 2018 12:44

Dettmann1 wrote:It's my understanding that its part of the Exxir Project. They have a couple of pictures on their website in what they are calling "Kemp Plaza" which I believe is that entire area. Looks to be retaining the trees and creating and outdoor plaza area with restaurant shops around surrounding it where possible. Its not a huge area, so it will be interesting to see how they would implement that.


Thanks. I googled it, and found their site for anyone else who wants to see it:
http://www.bishoparts.com/

Not a whole lot of concrete info there, but you can get a general sense of the master plan for the area. This area will be completely transformed (more than it already has) in the coming years, and it seems like this particular section will help connect the northern part to the retail on Jefferson Blvd.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 679
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Jan 2018 13:09

DPatel304 wrote:This area will be completely transformed (more than it already has) in the coming years, and it seems like this particular section will help connect the northern part to the retail on Jefferson Blvd.


I'm a little disappointed that the city hasn't started addressing the connection from Jefferson to Bishop Arts, especially because the library and adjacent city-owned property separate the two.

They need to rebuild that library, perhaps with some affordable housing on top and maybe a plaza to connect the sidewalks going north and south. Until people feel safe parking on Jefferson and walking to Bishop Arts and back, there will always be a valet problem in BA.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 313
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby exelone31 » 09 Jan 2018 15:51

DPatel304 wrote:Thanks. I googled it, and found their site for anyone else who wants to see it:
http://www.bishoparts.com/

Not a whole lot of concrete info there, but you can get a general sense of the master plan for the area. This area will be completely transformed (more than it already has) in the coming years, and it seems like this particular section will help connect the northern part to the retail on Jefferson Blvd.


Thanks for sharing! Seems like a really cool project, just tough to get a sense of scale from the renderings. I'm looking forward to everything coming together!

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 679
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Jan 2018 08:37

Bishop High Line Phase 2 will reuse the medical building on Madison between Ninth and Tenth. The basement will be leased to a theater company for live performances:

http://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2018/01 ... -building/

Image
Image

DPatel304
Posts: 1067
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Jan 2018 09:26

Nice looking project that will also help connect Bishop Arts to Jefferson. I don't really know what rents are currently like in the area, but this price point seems pretty good to me:
The new building (pictured at top as viewed from Madison and Ninth) will contain about 40 mostly one-bedroom apartments priced under $1,000, Shafiezadeh says.

User avatar
Dettmann1
Posts: 36
Joined: 10 Jan 2017 09:05

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Dettmann1 » 10 Jan 2018 09:33

DPatel304 wrote:Nice looking project that will also help connect Bishop Arts to Jefferson. I don't really know what rents are currently like in the area, but this price point seems pretty good to me:
The new building (pictured at top as viewed from Madison and Ninth) will contain about 40 mostly one-bedroom apartments priced under $1,000, Shafiezadeh says.


It really depends on the size of the units honestly. Magnolia on Zang has 1BR's starting in the 1,150 range on up, so regardless they will be pretty affordable for "new" build apartments in the area.

DPatel304
Posts: 1067
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Jan 2018 09:46

True, perhaps they will be smaller units. Which is fine with me, we need some more apartments that offer a lower price point, even if the units aren't as luxury or as big as other buildings.

User avatar
Dettmann1
Posts: 36
Joined: 10 Jan 2017 09:05

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Dettmann1 » 10 Jan 2018 09:50

exelone31 wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:Thanks. I googled it, and found their site for anyone else who wants to see it:
http://www.bishoparts.com/

Not a whole lot of concrete info there, but you can get a general sense of the master plan for the area. This area will be completely transformed (more than it already has) in the coming years, and it seems like this particular section will help connect the northern part to the retail on Jefferson Blvd.


Thanks for sharing! Seems like a really cool project, just tough to get a sense of scale from the renderings. I'm looking forward to everything coming together!


The leasing brochure for Bishop Arts Station has a suprisingly good layout of the Nazerian project in its aerial https://shopcompanies.com/sites/default/files/bishop-arts-station-presentationv2.pdf. This graphic has changed a couple of times, so I'm pretty certain that this is close to what the entire scale is at this point of that project. I also wouldn't be suprised to see this grow in size as they have slowly been adding additional parcels (The NE corner of Melba wasn't part of the project originally, same with some of the parcels west of Bishop). This also doesn't show some of the other developments that are going on in the area near it (Bishop Highline Phases 1 & 2, Townhomes behind Bishop arts station, etc.)

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1436
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Jan 2018 15:31

lakewoodhobo wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:This area will be completely transformed (more than it already has) in the coming years, and it seems like this particular section will help connect the northern part to the retail on Jefferson Blvd.


I'm a little disappointed that the city hasn't started addressing the connection from Jefferson to Bishop Arts, especially because the library and adjacent city-owned property separate the two.

They need to rebuild that library, perhaps with some affordable housing on top and maybe a plaza to connect the sidewalks going north and south. Until people feel safe parking on Jefferson and walking to Bishop Arts and back, there will always be a valet problem in BA.


Last I checked the library does have plans already on the books for an urban redo of the Oak Cliff location. It's just that they have more pressing needs at other locations that are being implemented first. The Dallas Library system is in the middle of a system remodel and with a large number of locations, it's hard picking priorities. Plus personally, I would rather see them respond to this new development than try to get out ahead of it.

I'll see if I can dig up the previous showed concepts for the redo. The problem with incorporating affordable housing is the fact that this area may still be too poor for it. The city is already in trouble for putting all its affordable housing in poor areas and I am not sure the wider area around Bishop Arts has yet to be lifted out of depressed economics. In concept, I kinda agree the city already proposed a similar partnership on Park Lane for a library with affordable apartments above.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1436
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Jan 2018 16:04

I found the design plans. According to a 2012 bond update, the North Oak Cliff location has been designed but simply needs funding for construction.

Bishop+Front+View_revised+clayton (1).jpg
Ground+Floor.jpg
Mezz+Plan.jpg


The Bishop Arts Branch Library will be a LEED Gold library that will replace the existing North
Oak Cliff Branch Library. It is sited around a large existing tree while still addressing the urban street presence of the evolving community. Parking is relocated on the back half of the lot opening up an area for a small community park. The new library embraces its role as a community center and collaborative work environment. The central library hall, with its high ceilings, low stacks, extensive work tables and seating promotes interaction and takes advantage of large north facing curtainwalls for daylighting. The library
collection is primarily housed along a long low slope ramp that leads patrons up to a large mezzanine
that looks out over the central hall and the tree-filled entrance courtyard. The integration of an artist studio, gallery spaces, and a street café strengthen the link between the library and the surrounding Bishop Arts neighborhood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 679
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Jan 2018 18:01

^Thanks for posting those plans. I had seen the rendering of the outside but didn't know about the plaza and cafe.

User avatar
Cord1936
Posts: 168
Joined: 02 Apr 2017 20:43
Location: Henderson @ Belmont

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Cord1936 » 11 Jan 2018 17:51

Building Alert: New Multifamily Property Planned In Bishop Arts
January 10, 2018, Jeremiah Jensen, Bisnow Dallas

Crimson Building LLC filed permits for a multifamily development at 200 North Bishop Ave. in the Bishop Arts District.

The property is planned for 388K SF and is valued at $40.7M. The owner/client is listed as "Bishop North," according to BuildZoom.com.

No other information is available on the building as of yet.

Article: https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/news/construction-development/building-alert-new-multifamily-property-planned-in-bishop-arts-83471?utm_source=MorningBrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180111_dallas-ft-worth_morningbrief&be=dallasdecodence%40aol.com
Last edited by Cord1936 on 11 Jan 2018 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1063
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Jan 2018 18:08

What's up with the civil engineering photo attached above ^ lol

User avatar
Cord1936
Posts: 168
Joined: 02 Apr 2017 20:43
Location: Henderson @ Belmont

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Cord1936 » 11 Jan 2018 18:14

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:What's up with the civil engineering photo attached above ^ lol

^^^^^^^
Have no idea ... other than it was with the article ... it doesn't make sense so I removed it. Ha ha!

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 679
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Jan 2018 11:11

Cord1936 wrote:Building Alert: New Multifamily Property Planned In Bishop Arts
January 10, 2018, Jeremiah Jensen, Bisnow Dallas

Crimson Building LLC filed permits for a multifamily development at 200 North Bishop Ave. in the Bishop Arts District.

The property is planned for 388K SF and is valued at $40.7M. The owner/client is listed as "Bishop North," according to BuildZoom.com.

No other information is available on the building as of yet.

Article: https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/news/construction-development/building-alert-new-multifamily-property-planned-in-bishop-arts-83471?utm_source=MorningBrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180111_dallas-ft-worth_morningbrief&be=dallasdecodence%40aol.com


Bishop North is the residential phase of the Exxir development, so between this and the High Line phase 2, there should be quite a bit of new activity.

User avatar
Thymant
Posts: 137
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 17:23

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Thymant » 18 Jan 2018 10:14

From Yesterday:

ImageCrescent Bishop Arts by Thymant, on Flickr

ImageCrescent Bishop Arts by Thymant, on Flickr

ImageBishop Arts Station by Thymant, on Flickr

ImageBishop Arts Station by Thymant, on Flickr

DPatel304
Posts: 1067
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jan 2018 10:16

Thanks for the pictures! This will be such a nice entrance into Bishop Arts for people who are arriving via Streetcar.

User avatar
Thymant
Posts: 137
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 17:23

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Thymant » 18 Jan 2018 11:44

DPatel304 wrote:Thanks for the pictures! This will be such a nice entrance into Bishop Arts for people who are arriving via Streetcar.


Your welcome,this corner will bring an impressive amount of density to the area.

User avatar
Cbdallas
Posts: 217
Joined: 29 Nov 2016 16:42

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Cbdallas » 18 Jan 2018 11:57

I took some friends visiting from Oklahoma City during the holidays on the streetcar (they were staying downtown) and we arrived in all of that construction. They were blown away with all of it Downtown, the streetcar and Bishop Arts. I am excited to see this spread out from this core into that entire area and connect with the other urban parts of Oak Cliff near downtown. I look forward to the day when we refer to the urban Oak Cliff.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1063
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Jan 2018 13:20

This is nice. I am still not visiting Bishop Arts until all is complete...

DPatel304
Posts: 1067
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jan 2018 13:28

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:This is nice. I am still not visiting Bishop Arts until all is complete...


Yep, same here. It'll be much more exciting to experience the new Bishop Arts this way. I'm doing the same with Victory Park too.

Tnexster
Posts: 1652
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Tnexster » 22 Jan 2018 20:41

Bishop Arts project with 246 apartments planned in Oak Cliff

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -oak-cliff

Developers are moving closer to starting a major mixed-use project in Oak Cliff's popular Bishop Arts District.

Dallas-based Exxir Capital has been working on its multi-block development for several years at Bishop Avenue and Melba Street. The project is planned to include apartments, retail and restaurant space and commercial development on several blocks.

User avatar
ericthegardener
Posts: 71
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 20:32

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby ericthegardener » 23 Jan 2018 16:14

lakewoodhobo wrote:Most curious about the Exxir/Nazerian project, where Phase 1 looks done. One restaurant looks like just days away from opening, and another has their liquor license notice on the window.

IMG_3427.jpgIMG_3426.jpg


I have not eaten there yet, but it looks like this place has opened. The name is Live Tribal. Looks like they're a healthy food cafe & juice bar, plus they do meal plans.

http://www.livetribal.com

With all the new development going on in Bishop Arts, this is the first place to actually open, right? Exciting!

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1436
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jan 2018 08:24

Picture from their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/livetribal
26850612_1445177715608492_255378322076018971_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ericthegardener
Posts: 71
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 20:32

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby ericthegardener » 24 Jan 2018 09:31

Stopped by last night. Was just gonna run in and check out the menu, but ending up sampling some juices and getting some food to go. Maybe a bit overpriced for what it was, but the food was tasty and I enjoyed it. Don't know if I I was talking with an employee or owner, but they were super friendly and helpful. Wish them well!

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1436
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jan 2018 09:36

The spread of hipsterland is charging on!!! Just like I have been telling people for years Oak CLiff is our Austin. You can have both worlds in one. The Austin Hipster superior/inferiority complex and Dallas elitism all in one city.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1063
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jan 2018 18:14

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The spread of hipsterland is charging on!!! Just like I have been telling people for years Oak CLiff is our Austin. You can have both worlds in one. The Austin Hipster superior/inferiority complex and Dallas elitism all in one city.


Let Oak Cliff be Oak Cliff.

Austin's a crappy Portland.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1436
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jan 2018 09:17

Whatever label makes people happy and able to enjoy Oak Cliff as itself is fine with me.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 679
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Jan 2018 10:14

Blackwood's rendering looks a little different than I expected, but it's good to see some activity on the west side of Bishop Arts.

Image

Construction begins on Davis/Vernon restaurants and shops
http://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2018/01 ... nts-shops/

User avatar
worldwoh
Posts: 7
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 10:33

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby worldwoh » 05 Feb 2018 14:10

lakewoodhobo wrote:I've been avoiding the Bishop/Melba area for a few months and went by this afternoon. It was a bit overwhelming to see so much new construction finally wrapping up. Most curious about the Exxir/Nazerian project, where Phase 1 looks done. One restaurant looks like just days away from opening, and another has their liquor license notice on the window.

IMG_3427.jpgIMG_3426.jpg



I think this space is the location of the Lucia owners' new restaurant -- “Macellaio will focus on cured meats. They’ll offer dine-in and takeout charcuterie boards, plus a full bar. She said the restaurant will be much larger than the tiny, five-star Lucia, which is in the Bishop Arts District."

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1384
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby tamtagon » 05 Feb 2018 14:49

...extending a conversation from the Oak Lawn thread, do any of these new deals in Bishop Arts/Oak Cliff include a gay bar? Actually, have the blue laws been scraped away enough to allow bars? I remember a while back it was proposed to allow liquor stores on this side of the river, but don't remember what happened with that.

I firmly believe the remnant blue laws kept Oak Cliff "safe" from the worst of the sanitized gentrification aka pretentious yuppification of Oak Cliff. Even back before the turn of the century (aka the 90s) many of the cool folks in East Dallas/Expo Park/Lower Greenville were part of a slow by steady migration to Oak Cliff. These are the folks comfortable around the minority populations which of course had been the primary force-field keeping Oak Cliff safe from homogenization, but so many factors play into that particular dynamic, it was mostly the old blue laws keeping Oak Cliff sleepy.

User avatar
Dettmann1
Posts: 36
Joined: 10 Jan 2017 09:05

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Dettmann1 » 05 Feb 2018 15:35

I believe part of the Nazerian/Exxir rezoning case involved allowing bars, but I can't specifically remember if that was the case or not. The only other bar that is supposed to be coming is "Tiny Victories" which is a pretty smallish bar slated for TyPo. Not sure if that has gone anywhere other than approval though.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

cron

Login