Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown Dallas: The Drever

cowboyeagle05

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Jan 2018 08:17

I just had an out of town visitor comment on how much better he likes the Dallas skyline. He was doing the dreaded Houston comparison because their skyline is so dark yet the same size as ours. Anyways I await the LED pinstripes return.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Jan 2018 08:53

Video from a newscast in the early 2000s, showing the Drever illuminated.

https://youtu.be/C8bnLULZAPA

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Jan 2018 09:12

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I just had an out of town visitor comment on how much better he likes the Dallas skyline. He was doing the dreaded Houston comparison because their skyline is so dark yet the same size as ours. Anyways I await the LED pinstripes return.

Are they the same size?... Houston's taller but not as long as Dallas' skyline.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Jan 2018 11:39

LED is great and all, but projection is the future.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Jan 2018 12:11

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I just had an out of town visitor comment on how much better he likes the Dallas skyline. He was doing the dreaded Houston comparison because their skyline is so dark yet the same size as ours. Anyways I await the LED pinstripes return.

Are they the same size?... Houston's taller but not as long as Dallas' skyline.

He didn't know the exact just sees them as similarly sized and I would agree considering the point is Houston he felt was missing out on some potential energy and visual interest from a lack of lighting. Keep mind no one is saying every LED contribution to the skyline is an Oscar-winning performance but overall some people like the energy projected by the new lighting to our skyline.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Jan 2018 12:54

tamtagon wrote:LED is great and all, but projection is the future.

Examples?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Jan 2018 13:27

Aurora in the Arts District is the perfect example for what I have in mind... I think it's every other year but may be every year since it's so popular

https://www.dallasaurora.com/

The Conv Ctr hotel is quaint with the light show capabilities it has now, but imagine projections for special events and whatever.... I would LOVE to see what could be done with Fountain Place. This building too.

I think this kinda stuff is already popular in Europe, maybe.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Jan 2018 13:49

tamtagon wrote:Aurora in the Arts District is the perfect example for what I have in mind... I think it's every other year but may be every year since it's so popular

The Conv Ctr hotel is quaint with the light show capabilities it has now, but imagine projections for special events and whatever.... I would LOVE to see what could be done with Fountain Place. This building too.

Oh ok, I know what you mean. Dallas could use a lil more Shanghai-esque lighting. I like it!

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 12 Jan 2018 14:14

tamtagon wrote:Aurora in the Arts District is the perfect example for what I have in mind... I think it's every other year but may be every year since it's so popular

Oh, that’s very cool. Would this be permanent or just for special occasions?