Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Grocery Stores: news/development

The_Overdog

Re: Grocery Stores: news/development

Postby The_Overdog » 29 Oct 2018 16:08

The stores are respectively in Desoto, Ft Worth, FlowerMound, and Coppell. If I'm seeing the map correctly, the only Albertsons stores left in the Dallas side are in Dallas proper.

The closing Tom Thumbs are relatively close to one another geographically. After they close, the majority of Tom Thumbs will be in Dallas proper, though there are still a few north of G Bush.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Oct 2018 17:01

I happened to be in the one on South Carrier in GP recently and it is undergoing a major upgrade so that one must be doing well.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 31 Oct 2018 17:39

Walmart is considering a re-imagining of some of its stores, and the big parking lots that spread out in front of them, into 'town centers'. The concept may include various amenities, such as outdoor areas, spots for food trucks, workout/fitness, and "entertainment". There are 2 locations here that are part of the possible repurposing:
* Garland, I-30/Broadway-Belt Line
* Lewisville, Bus.TX 121/Round Grove

A link in the DMN article leads to a special Walmart website (https://www.walmartreimagined.com/) introducing the concept, but the DMN didn't say the site needs a password first.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... -two-texas

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 31 Oct 2018 19:21

Reminds me of when Apple tried to start calling their stores "town squares". FFS, it's just an expansion of their leasable square footage dressed up to look more urban, which is fine, but people in Garland and Lewisville still want ample and convenient parking.