Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

North Dallas: Galleria

I45Tex

Re: North Dallas: Galleria

Postby I45Tex » 13 Mar 2020 10:08

There are many blocks of Noel just inside LBJ that are a separate street with no real connection to the Galleria one. Likely the Noel we know between the Galleria and Verde Valley, which I would like to rename Quorum or Midtown, etc, could've been named Inwood (it's directly north of Inwood's right of way) if the DNT had not bloated beyond the original railroad right of way and made everything else jog left and right on either side of it.

Names and connections that treat this area as part of a larger neighborhood including Addison Circle are part of making it a place to live and not just to shop or commute.

jsoto3

Postby jsoto3 » 05 Apr 2020 11:41

Urban Design Peer Review Panel presentation for the proposed redevelopment:
https://dallascityhall.com/departments/ ... mittal.pdf

eburress

Postby eburress » 05 Apr 2020 14:51

I like a lot of the changes, and by the time they're done maybe we'll be in a better place economically.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 07 Apr 2020 14:06

It strikes me as extremely convoluted, like they know what people want changed, but they don't get how to do it.

Like for example,
"• Weak pedstrian entry experience for customers" is identified from the three different sections, but there are no changes to the garage entries, which is how most are going to experience entry into the mall.

Also they identify the street across the west side as an 'urban street', but at least 1/3 is out of their control, is adjacent to the Westin's parking lots, and the area they do control is mostly just empty grass to the west of the front of the mall. They are creating useless 'green space' basically, which is honestly about the same as useless distant parking lots. The area around Banana Republic they are tearing down, to turn into a mini KWP is ok.

I have no idea what they are trying to represent with the interior pictures, beyond an upgrade, and that they are reducing/removing the ice rink.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 07 Apr 2020 21:07

I agree with The_Overdog on the lack of vision presented for the parking garages - both the entries from streets and connections to the mall. Most of the mall patrons will be parking in these same existing garages and may never see the extensive streetscape and landscape improvements on the west side (baking in the west sun I might add).

More thought and detail needs to be provided on the south end of the mall too. It’s unclear how patrons will get from the Blue Garage and into the mall. Hopefully it’s a seamless connection. And is the plan to buy and teardown only a portion of the Gap Inc building? Why not remove it all? I like the city’s Peer review comment on the developer’s “conceptual” plan suggesting consideration be given to removal of the Blue Garage with a more extensive redevelopment at that end. Something dramatic here that provides more open and visible site lines at the side facing I-635, and the thousands of cars a day going by, would be a great idea.

Some of the interior concepts shown in the power point are nice and I hope they can pull off activating the old University Club as a theater. However I haven’t seen the main weaknesses of the mall addressed so far. That is the “walled off by 80’s vintage parking garage” nature of it.

derkcir

Postby derkcir » 28 Jul 2020 21:56

Looks like the new Ablon at Galleria apartments/ mixed use development is almost done. Today I noticed that the strip center that sits in front of it is being torn down. This is the former site of The Container Store Store and Z gallery. Does anyone have any more information about what the plans are for that site?

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 29 Jul 2020 00:23

I'm hearing from patrons that the Galleria is in dire need of a high security presence & strong overview of keeping wandering gangs in the mall in check. If they don't watch out, they may share the same fate with Valley View Mall. That's what killed it. It became an undesirable destination & people did not feel safe going there.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 29 Jul 2020 09:09

derkcir wrote:Looks like the new Ablon at Galleria apartments/ mixed use development is almost done. Today I noticed that the strip center that sits in front of it is being torn down. This is the former site of The Container Store Store and Z gallery. Does anyone have any more information about what the plans are for that site?

That makes sense, I figured that since the apartments were built so close to the strip center, there wasn't going to be a plan to keep the strip center around.

derkcir

Postby derkcir » 30 Jul 2020 21:29

That’s scary. Hopefully they can get it under control if that’s the case. I rarely go inside and walk around malls anymore. If I go to the galleria I might hit Nordstrom’s or Jcrew and maybe a couple others. Otherwise I don’t think I know what else is in the mall.

derkcir

Postby derkcir » 30 Jul 2020 21:30

I guess they’ll have a big parking lot where the former strip center is...