Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

User avatar
LBK2013
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 May 2017 13:23

Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby LBK2013 » 11 Dec 2017 11:31

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... s-shopping

Construction will start in the next few weeks on an urban style mixed-use development in Dallas' popular Deep Ellum district.
The one-block project by North Carolina-based Crescent Communities will replace a strip of old industrial buildings at Canton Street and Malcolm X Boulevard just east of downtown.
The 7-story development will bring apartments and streetfront retail to an area that's seeing widespread new development.
"Canton Street carries a lot of traffic," said Michael Blackwell, Crescent Communities' regional development manager. "Our idea is to put a food and beverage outlet on the corner.

User avatar
LBK2013
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 May 2017 13:23

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby LBK2013 » 11 Dec 2017 11:33

This is the strip of building they are presumably tearing down for this project.

1513011487-cantonstreet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304
Posts: 1620
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Dec 2017 11:48

Looks like a decent project, but can we not fill in the surface parking lots before we start tearing down some of the existing buildings?

User avatar
jrd1964
Posts: 390
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 06:38

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby jrd1964 » 30 Dec 2017 09:26

Another article:
http://dallas.towers.net/2017/12/29/dee ... -projects/

The project will include a pool on the roof level, have underground parking, and is set for a Sept. 2019 completion.

User avatar
maconahey
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:07

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby maconahey » 09 May 2018 14:54

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 595
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby eburress » 09 May 2018 16:51

They're not wasting any time with this one!

DPatel304
Posts: 1620
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby DPatel304 » 09 May 2018 17:49

Yup, and I'm really excited for some more residential to come to Deep Ellum. The area could use some more daytime traffic, and developments like this one will create a little more activity further south/east.

willyk
Posts: 527
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby willyk » 09 May 2018 22:27

Moved to DE 1.0

Tnexster
Posts: 2248
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby Tnexster » 23 Oct 2019 16:30

Nice pic of the Novel project.....

As Deep Ellum project wraps up, developer eyes Turtle Creek for 20-story tower

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... creek.html

User avatar
Hannibal Lecter
Posts: 464
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 19:57

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 24 Oct 2019 09:29

The development will also have 10,585 square feet of ground-floor retail, which is being leased up by Venture Commercial. No retail leases have yet been announced.


That retail is going to be be hard to lease. Miniscule pedestrian traffic.

User avatar
Warrior2015
Posts: 132
Joined: 15 Jun 2018 21:19

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby Warrior2015 » 24 Oct 2019 10:26

Tnexster wrote:Nice pic of the Novel project.....

As Deep Ellum project wraps up, developer eyes Turtle Creek for 20-story tower

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... creek.html

Turned out alot better than I expected. Very nice!

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1949
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Oct 2019 10:37

This property being as big as it is and when it does open will change pedestrian patterns. There are two properties opening on this side of Deep Ellum so I am sure walking patterns will evolve.

willyk
Posts: 527
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby willyk » 24 Oct 2019 23:53

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
The development will also have 10,585 square feet of ground-floor retail, which is being leased up by Venture Commercial. No retail leases have yet been announced.


That retail is going to be be hard to lease. Miniscule pedestrian traffic.


How about some neighborhood services—dry cleaners, nails, salons, fitness club, bodega, sub shop, urgent care—DE has nearly none of the above.

User avatar
dzh
Posts: 44
Joined: 14 Dec 2016 20:24

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby dzh » 25 Oct 2019 07:17

willyk wrote:
Hannibal Lecter wrote:
The development will also have 10,585 square feet of ground-floor retail, which is being leased up by Venture Commercial. No retail leases have yet been announced.


That retail is going to be be hard to lease. Miniscule pedestrian traffic.


How about some neighborhood services—dry cleaners, nails, salons, fitness club, bodega, sub shop, urgent care—DE has nearly none of the above.



I don't want to be a downer (especially considering how happy I am that they actually even built retail for this project), but I am very curious as to how long it's going to take them to lease out the retail space. Their Bishop Arts location has just had empty retail sitting for months now.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1949
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Oct 2019 09:08

The thing to remember about empty retail space in new projects like that is its not always a lack of interest from potentially good tenants. Sometimes owners/developers hold off on leasing commercial space for any number of reasons. Are there for lease signs up? I wonder who is even marketing the spaces.

User avatar
Hannibal Lecter
Posts: 464
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 19:57

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 25 Oct 2019 11:08

willyk wrote:How about some neighborhood services—dry cleaners, nails, salons, fitness club, bodega, sub shop, urgent care—DE has nearly none of the above.


Dry cleaners: There's not much demand. Not many people in this neighborhood wear suits. Glo had a location on Commerce by Exposition Park, but it closed due to lack of business. There's a cleaners on Live Oak by the LCC.

Nails: Lots of them already. Googling "nail salon near me" shows nine in the neighborhood.

Salons: Hell, there's practically a hair place on every block. We even have own barber college. "hair salon near me" returns 14. "barber near me" returns 5.

Fitness Club: CrossFit, East Side Athletic Club, Yoga, MMA (two of them), Aikido and the Baylor Tom Landry Center just across the tracks. And don't forget Club Dallas on Swiss if that's the way you lean...

Bodega: Nobody can compete with 7-Eleven. Second location under construction.

Sub Shop: Uncle Uber's, baby. Subway and Which Wich couldn't compete. And there was that place by the DART station. Jimmy John's, maybe? Come on, do you really think Deep Ellum lacks for places to eat? :-)

Urgent Care: Have you noticed that big building with the "BAYLOR" sign? We have our own Level 1 Trauma Center.

DPatel304
Posts: 1620
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Oct 2019 11:10

^Thanks for the insight. In your opinion, what is it that Deep Ellum lacks at this point? Based on your post, I really just think the only thing we need is more residential in and adjacent to Deep Ellum so it can become more of a self-sustaining neighborhood, rather than relying on commuter traffic for business.

User avatar
Hannibal Lecter
Posts: 464
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 19:57

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 25 Oct 2019 11:12

dzh wrote:I don't want to be a downer (especially considering how happy I am that they actually even built retail for this project), but I am very curious as to how long it's going to take them to lease out the retail space. Their Bishop Arts location has just had empty retail sitting for months now.


I think the Ambrose (by the DART station) provides a good baseline. The city forced them to include ground floor retail to get their zoning. Only two spaces ever leased, and both closed relatively quickly. Eventually they got the city to let them out of the requirement and they converted the retail to apartments.

Tnexster
Posts: 2248
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby Tnexster » 25 Oct 2019 11:21

Maybe the city requires too much. At least too much at current density levels.

User avatar
Hannibal Lecter
Posts: 464
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 19:57

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 25 Oct 2019 11:27

DPatel304 wrote:^Thanks for the insight. In your opinion, what is it that Deep Ellum lacks at this point? Based on your post, I really just think the only thing we need is more residential in and adjacent to Deep Ellum so it can become more of a self-sustaining neighborhood, rather than relying on commuter traffic for business.


The number one thing lacking has been a gas station, but the new 7-Eleven is fixing that.

I do miss have a full service liquor store in the neighborhood. Spirits closed when the whole city went wet. A Total Wine would be great.

I'm trying to think of what I personally have to go out of the neighborhood to buy and the only things that come to mind are groceries (available within a five minute drive, and Tom Thumb is coming to Live Oak), specialty pet supplies (the shop on Commerce is great, but only only caters to dogs and cats), auto supplies (five minutes away) and clothing. For the latter I usually go online or to Target, which is just a few minutes away.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1720
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby tamtagon » 25 Oct 2019 13:21

Hannibal Lecter wrote:The number one thing lacking has been a gas station, but the new 7-Eleven is fixing that.


Fifteenish years ago, downtown Dallas was struggling to come out of hibernation. Every fresh coat of paint was a big deal because it was sign of progress! One small deal that got a touch of press was the opening of a 7-11, but that event was the first major signal that the city was coming back to downtown. While there's still a decade of continued growth before I'd really call the CBD a 'city' again, the progress made within a generation is remarkable.

A new 7-11 gas station in Deep Ellum is HUGE. It's an important marker, crossing a threshold in the gentrification of Old East Dallas.

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 973
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Cypress Waters

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby muncien » 25 Oct 2019 13:55

I know the term 'live work' gets thrown around a lot these days... But it seems many of these ground floor 'retail' suites would make good, true 'live work' spaces. With so many side hustle, be your own boss, independent-creative types, it just makes sense. I know that's not nearly as flashy as a fancy hat or hemp clothing store, but it is more realistic. Also, DE could certainly use a shipping store to serve self employed and small business folks.

I know many of these five story, cookie cutter, wrapped garage complexes we have built here in Las Colinas were done in such a way that the ground floor had to be built to suit retail in the future. So, even though demand may not be there now, it can easily be converted in the future. But until then, the gal selling candles online is welcome to keep the place occupied, instead of an ever present VACANT sign.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 973
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Cypress Waters

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby muncien » 25 Oct 2019 13:56

muncien wrote:I know the term 'live work' gets thrown around a lot these days... But it seems many of these ground floor 'retail' suites would make good, true 'live work' spaces. With so many side hustle, be your own boss, independent-creative types, it just makes sense. I know that's not nearly as flashy as a fancy hat or hemp clothing store, but it is more realistic. Also, DE could certainly use a shipping store to serve self employed and small business folks.

I know many of these five story, cookie cutter, wrapped garage complexes we have built here in Las Colinas were done in such a way that the ground floor had to be built to suit retail in the future. So, even though demand may not be there now, it can easily be converted in the future. But until then, the gal selling candles online is welcome to keep the place occupied, instead of an ever present FOR LEASE sign.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1949
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Oct 2019 14:11

The deal with the Ambrose was the wrong place, wrong time and badly designed. Deep Ellum was dead at that time and the retail fronted the station and nothing else. There was no foot traffic in that area yet and the retail didn't wrap around the building drawing people from the main foot trafficked areas on Main, Elm and Commerce. The sidewalks on Malcolm X along that side of the building are nicely landscaped but you walk past blocks that look like nothing is happening worth visiting. One of the things they teach in architecture school when it comes to pedestrian design is that humans are drawn by presumed activity and if you stood at the corner of Malcolm and Elm back then you wouldn't look at the back of the Ambrose and empty parking lots and assume there was anything worth visiting. Today it's pretty much the same story. 90% of the people walking down Elm at Malcolm probably don't even notice the DART station is right there.

The Ambrose was designed badly for that retail so duh it failed. They didn't care about it succeeding and the city checked the box at the time because there is only so much they can do to pressure developers to build mixed-use. Most developers don't like the complication of retail and residential so many times they aren't willing to make design decisions that will ensure things like ground-floor retail will succeed.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1720
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Deep Ellum: Novel Deep Ellum

Postby tamtagon » 25 Oct 2019 16:11

muncien wrote:He doesn't know how to use the three sea shells...


I finally looked up that quote!!! Awesome


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jecha, Tivo_Kenevil, Tnexster and 25 guests

Login