Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Fort Worth: misc. developments

jrd1964

Fort Worth: misc. developments

Postby jrd1964 » 07 Dec 2017 14:13

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local ... 9.html?itx[idio]=6088419&ito=792&itq=67a34b03-e176-462b-a547-40c022e15aa8

On the heels of a new downtown Dallas hotel, and an upcoming one in the Galleria-Dallas Midtown area, a new AC Hotel by Marriott will start construction in the middle of next year at Fifth/Main on the site of a current surface parking lot. It will have 246 rooms, be 16 stories tall, and take 2 years to build.

Austin55

Re: Fort Worth: misc. developments

Postby Austin55 » 07 Dec 2017 14:16

Here's a good breakdown of all 4 proposed/u/c highrises in downtown.

http://www.fwtx.com/blogs/fwculture/hig ... g-downtown

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 07 Dec 2017 17:24

This is exciting. Does anyone know what is Fort Worth's downtown population?

I've always felt Fort Worth had a more Charming downtown than Dallas. Great to see them get some urban developments.

At this rate, who knows maybe one day these two sister cities will become the SF and Oakland of Texas. Lol

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 08 Dec 2017 10:05

It's been a while, but the last estimates I saw were around 1500 residents.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Dec 2017 10:54

Fort Worth does have a charming downtown; it's a great change of scenery for North Texas residents, but I have a sense that the majority of North Texans don't know about it. I would love love love Downtown Fort Worth to grow into a destination appeal like Ashville, NC -- creative, friendly, stuffed to the gills with variety, and almost walking distance to one of the best collection of Museums in the South Central US and almost walking distance to the totally underdeveloped western frontier theme park, The Fort Worth Stockyards. There's so much potential in Downtown Fort Worth, enough to make the Dallas Booster Club green with envy. If only the city would coalesce around the idea of becoming a real tourism destination.

Austin55

Postby Austin55 » 11 Dec 2017 18:13

The_Overdog wrote:It's been a while, but the last estimates I saw were around 1500 residents.

Downtown Fort Worth has a fairly broad definition, but the 2016 State of Downtown listed the number at 7,616, and currently the downtown housing stock is on pace to double with current construction and proposals.

A bunch more info on page 20 here - > https://www.dfwi.org/research

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Dec 2017 22:14

Economic Engines: Is Fort Worth at risk of becoming bedroom community to Dallas?

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... unity.html

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Dec 2017 18:02

One reason Fort Worth's lagging Dallas: Billions invested with public transit

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... ic-transit

“Fort Worth has fallen behind its competition,” the report said. “The threats facing the city may not always be apparent, but they are very real.”

Here’s an example. Since 2010, the North Texas region has added almost 140,000 jobs in professional business services and 48,000 in financial activities. Roughly 90 percent of the jobs in those high-paying categories were on the Dallas-Plano-Irving side of the metro, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

In 2010, Fort Worth was offered a $25 million federal grant toward a street car starter line. Ultimately, it could have connected popular Sundance Square with the emerging hospital district and developments on the other side of downtown.

That’s exactly the kind of urban connectivity that Amazon and many millennials are looking for. But Fort Worth’s City Council rejected the grant.

There’s no mention of that lost opportunity in the report. By the way, that money went toward a streetcar line in Dallas.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Dec 2017 02:06

As Dallas urban core gets more and more expensive, I can see Fort Worth eventually becoming more attractive. Problem is, is that there is still a lot of room for Dallas to grow and plenty of under-developed land.

I'd really love to see Fort Worth thrive and see the city grow, but, at the moment, Dallas has some insane momentum and I don't see that slowing anytime soon. One thing that, I believe, could help would be some sort of non-stop express TRE train that goes straight from Downtown Fort Worth to Downtown Dallas. I have no idea how much would be involved in that, but I think something like that could create some good synergy between the two cities.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 28 Dec 2017 08:44

Tnexster wrote:One reason Fort Worth's lagging Dallas: Billions invested with public transit

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... ic-transit

“Fort Worth has fallen behind its competition,” the report said. “The threats facing the city may not always be apparent, but they are very real.”

Here’s an example. Since 2010, the North Texas region has added almost 140,000 jobs in professional business services and 48,000 in financial activities. Roughly 90 percent of the jobs in those high-paying categories were on the Dallas-Plano-Irving side of the metro, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

In 2010, Fort Worth was offered a $25 million federal grant toward a street car starter line. Ultimately, it could have connected popular Sundance Square with the emerging hospital district and developments on the other side of downtown.

That’s exactly the kind of urban connectivity that Amazon and many millennials are looking for. But Fort Worth’s City Council rejected the grant.

There’s no mention of that lost opportunity in the report. By the way, that money went toward a streetcar line in Dallas.

Isn't it a bit of a stretch to credit DART for the Dallas side's greater job growth?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Dec 2017 14:22

Considering the rest of the articles on DART transit say that's its ineffective in its current implementation and basically just a checkbox and not much of a real ridership generator. It's funny how one article says Dallas is a genius because of DART while others point to its historically long low ridership and ill-functioning DART board that seems more focused on light rail extensions than fixing its existing problems with bus and existing DART trains.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Dec 2017 15:02

Ft.Worth should continue to focus on creating more urban spaces. Their plan w the Trinity River is a great start hopefully they go through w/ it.

SlandersonCooper

Postby SlandersonCooper » 28 Dec 2017 16:05

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Ft.Worth should continue to focus on creating more urban spaces. Their plan w the Trinity River is a great start hopefully they go through w/ it.

The 1st development Encore Panther Island is slated to start construction Q1 2018.

$55 million Panther Island community taking shape in Fort Worth
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article191577184.html

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Dec 2017 17:14

I'm really excited to see Panther island take shape. I'm hoping it's a success and they manage to complete the entire project.