Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Dallas Smart District

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Re: Dallas Smart District

Postby dfwcre8tive » 19 Oct 2017 15:19

Matt777 wrote:The only thing that bugs me is that it looks like the 105 year old Eagle's Nest Cathedral would be demolished, and a parking structure put in its place. It's hard to tell but I don't see it in the renderings. There's got to be a way to preserve it. It doesn't take up much land and could become a great restaurant space or something creative. It would be a beautiful food hall.

Maybe the like The Mark in Seattle, a new skyscraper that is turning a historic church building into a luxury hotel's event space (it was preserved thanks to a creative new owner that saw value in the historic structure):

The preservation battle gained national attention because it pitted the public’s right to control zoning over a religious institution’s right to freely practice religion. In a 5-4 vote the Washington state Supreme Court ruled in favor of the congregation and allowed for the demolition of the building without city landmark protection. After years of negotiation an agreement to save the building and construct a new facility for the congregation was reached in 2007.

The original intention for the property by the congregation was to demolish the sanctuary building and build a 34 story high rise on the half block parcel. After purchase by Daniels the plans for the property now include the development of a new architecturally stunning high rise building that retains and compliments the historic sanctuary building.

There are other examples too. In Dallas, any project on blocks in this area would be wise to incorporate the area's history.

http://www.themarkseattle.com/

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 19 Oct 2017 16:10

Matt777 wrote:The only thing that bugs me is that it looks like the 105 year old Eagle's Nest Cathedral would be demolished, and a parking structure put in its place. It's hard to tell but I don't see it in the renderings. There's got to be a way to preserve it. It doesn't take up much land and could become a great restaurant space or something creative. It would be a beautiful food hall.

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like its still in the renderings posted. I don't think they own the land where that building is located.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 19 Oct 2017 18:43

8-Million-Square-Foot Dallas Smart District Also Eyeing Amazon

https://www.dmagazine.com/business-econ ... ng-amazon/

“Everybody was running for Amazon and Steve [Van Amburgh, the CEO of KDC,] and I looked at each other, and we did decide to propose this as one of the options,” Hoque says. “If Amazon decided to be a part of our smart district—and they could be—they could drive a lot of change. But we are not banking on Amazon at all. We started designing this way before anyone began talking about Amazon coming to this city.”

“We are not in a hurry, and we’ll take our time [to find] someone who is thinking about the future.”

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 19 Oct 2017 21:02

That last quote makes me less sure that this thing gets off the ground.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 20 Oct 2017 11:36

I would love to see this happen just like I would love to have seen the Spire developement happen when it was announced but I am afraid this is looking like Spire. A big land grab but no tenants.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Oct 2017 12:02

^word

Just like Spire, this swath of land represents as desirable redevelopment potential as any in Texas, it's just a matter of time, well, as long as the bottom doesn't fall out.

For now, all I'm going to say anything about the name "Dallas Smart District" is that I'll say something about it later.

I would look at entities with direct activities in Dallas AND Houston to fill up this side of town, because of the HSR of course. As HSR becomes more and more a reality rather than a good idea, I think we might even see a new streetcar route planned to loop through Smart District concurrent to the meet-up of OCTA and MATA. Any business or resident with daily or weekly activity in both cities will is a potential customer, and if there's an expansion, it'll likely happen in Dallas if the plan is cohesive and promoted. I would not want Amazon at this location, but the publicity coming from a bid is good.

Smart District will compete with Matthews Southwest for office workers, residents and tourism associated with the trains between Dal-Hou.

I could even see Exxon moving from Irving to Dallas one day....

whi5125

Postby whi5125 » 20 Oct 2017 13:29

The thing that has really put a hold on building big projects like this, and skyscrapers in general, has been the damn banks. No one will lend money without a signed tenant anymore unlike before the recession where you could be allowed to make a business case for the market you were building in and why your development would attract tenants to get returns and profits. If that whole build it and they will come attitude was allowed to happen even just a little bit these days these projects would be far more likely to get off the ground. Because even without Amazon, there is demand.

muncien

Postby muncien » 20 Oct 2017 15:49

When asked about what 'Smart District' means on Fox 4 news this morning, the CEO said that they are designing and building for the next generation and not the last. He said the whole automobile mentality needs to change. They will be building based on ride sharing and autonomy. No more big hulking 'dinosaur parking garages' (his words, not mine). So... that was kinda good to hear... Also, he led on to believe that this development was targeting foreign clients... Oh, and it had a food hall component. Seems to be the theme of the week. :)

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Oct 2017 16:14

How many halls can a city have?.. not enough apparently.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Oct 2017 16:20

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:How many halls can a city have?.. not enough apparently.

Seriously. I just updated both the Sylvan Thirty and East Dallas threads, because two food halls were announced in both of those areas, on top of the one announced for West End and the current one in the Farmer's Market. The worst part is, all of these barely qualify as food halls. They all sounds so very small, to the point where it just seems pointless in my eyes.

muncien

Postby muncien » 20 Oct 2017 16:24

DPatel304 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:How many halls can a city have?.. not enough apparently.

Seriously. I just updated both the Sylvan Thirty and East Dallas threads, because two food halls were announced in both of those areas, on top of the one announced for West End and the current one in the Farmer's Market. The worst part is, all of these barely qualify as food halls. They all sounds so very small, to the point where it just seems pointless in my eyes.

I was thinking the same thing... Legacy seems to have gotten it right. But, if we're loose with the definition, the KFC/Taco Bell combo down the street could classify as a 'Food Hall'.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Oct 2017 10:06

I wouldn't worry. The too small and insignificant food halls will quietly fade away. Uptown Market is struggling as well and it has a lot of things going for it. The food halls that actually have something worth visiting will retain customers while the trendy only places will get replaced with another trendy Dallas restaurant swiftly after they close. Keep in mind it's just another word for Food Court which Downtown office towers have plenty of already. BofA has one and so does Renaissance Tower and those work because they such a large captive audience who just wants a cheap sub sandwich. In the case of this development if they build half of the buildings not even including the tallest they will generate lots of lunch-goers looking for variety on a weekly basis so an internal food hall and one on the edge like the Farmers Market is totally doable. Not to mention the start of any construction of this development will generate additional development in close proximity generating more potential customers.

I imagine that dress like structure pictured in the middle of most of the renderings is the food hall. I wondered what signature element that was for. They make sure you see it in almost every angle so it had to be for some featured element of the development besides a restaurant or office lobby.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Oct 2017 10:24

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Keep in mind it's just another word for Food Court....

haha I was going to say it's just another word for cafeteria!

Repackaging and recycling a proven concept is usually a safe bet, as long as the product answers to consumers seasonal/regular tweaks will keep it viable.

I'm curious about The Dallas Smart District.... somewhere along the way, I think it was mentioned the development will rollout (hopefully) without overabundant parking and the same intense commuter-focused infrastructure that's been popular and municipally mandated since the 60s. But, so far, this first phase advertising, pre-pre-preleasing introduction to awareness raising efforts has not indicated how the 8 million sq ft of office space will interface with public transportation and trails.

The Rail Station under the convention center really needs to be moved to the "backside," remaking the entire service entry into a mixed use concentration of specialness.

vman

Postby vman » 24 Oct 2017 06:11

cowboyeagle05 wrote: BofA has one and so does Renaissance Tower and those work because they such a large captive audience who just wants a cheap sub sandwich.

I went walking through the tunnels a few weeks ago and the Renaissance Tower food court is still thriving. I still eat there sometimes. I had not been to the BOA food court in years, but walked over there and it's really sad. It's dark and depressing. The "Starbucks" has been replaced with some knockoff that sells starbucks coffee. And most of the places I remember are gone and at lunchtime, it really wasn't very busy. Renaissance Tower has kept it's food court, bright and clean. BOA, not so much. The entire lobby and lower level of BOA is in need of a major redo and the food court needs to shuttered. It's a very easy walk over to Renaissance Tower from there.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 24 Oct 2017 08:56

vman wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote: BofA has one and so does Renaissance Tower and those work because they such a large captive audience who just wants a cheap sub sandwich.

I went walking through the tunnels a few weeks ago and the Renaissance Tower food court is still thriving. I still eat there sometimes. I had not been to the BOA food court in years, but walked over there and it's really sad. It's dark and depressing. The "Starbucks" has been replaced with some knockoff that sells starbucks coffee. And most of the places I remember are gone and at lunchtime, it really wasn't very busy. Renaissance Tower has kept it's food court, bright and clean. BOA, not so much. The entire lobby and lower level of BOA is in need of a major redo and the food court needs to shuttered. It's a very easy walk over to Renaissance Tower from there.

I'm with you on everything but the Starbucks "knockoff." That place has better service, shorter lines, and better food than Starbucks. I work in Renaissance Tower and I will walk to BofA just to go to that place.

Dallas12

Postby Dallas12 » 24 Oct 2017 09:11

tamtagon wrote:
I could even see Exxon moving from Irving to Dallas one day....

Based on what Exxon built in the Woodlands and XTO exiting downtown Fort Worth to that campus, I would think it’s only a matter of time before Exxon’s corporate brass relocates to the Woodlands.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 03 Nov 2017 10:09

This was published yesterday but is a locked article ... does anyone subscribe who can summarize what it says? Anything new being added that we don't already know?

Behind Dallas entrepreneur Mike Hoque's vision for a smarter Dallas
Dallas Business Journal, Candace Carlisle, Nov. 2, 2017

Dallas entrepreneur Mike Hoque plans to spend about 70 percent of his time focused on building a gateway to southern Dallas near city hall. Hoque chats about the project, how it came to be and what he's trying to create in the city center.

Article: https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2017/11/02/behind-dallas-entrepreneur-mike-hoques-vision-for.html

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 Nov 2017 12:12

tamtagon wrote:The Rail Station under the convention center really needs to be moved to the "backside," remaking the entire service entry into a mixed use concentration of specialness.

convention center south side.jpg
Lorenzo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 03 Nov 2017 21:22

Dallas Smart District Project Plans Massive Development Downtown

http://dallas.towers.net/2017/11/03/dal ... -downtown/

Hoque claimed there would be an announcement soon regarding a “first of its kind” major brand coming to the district

I wonder what that could be...