Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

West End 1.0

dallaz

Re: West End 1.0

Postby dallaz » 15 Aug 2018 14:44

Renovation plan would turn 93-year-old West End building into hotel in downtown Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... own-dallas

A plan in the works would convert a historic building in downtown Dallas' West End district into a new hotel.

The Sanger Brothers garage at 711 Elm Street was built in 1925 as one of the city's first "high-rise" parking garages.

The 5-story brick building sits across the street from where the Sanger Brothers department store was - now El Centro College.

Irving-based hotel firm Icon Lodging bought the Elm Street building in April and has been working with Dallas' Merriman Anderson Architects to come up with a plan to redevelop the garage.

Merriman Anderson recently made a preliminary presentation to the Dallas Landmark Commission which asked them to go back to the drawing board and rework the hotel proposal.

The initial plan would have added six levels of hotel rooms on top of the old parking structure. But commission members and staff weren't on board with that plan.

Merriman Anderson partner Milton Anderson said his firm plans to keep working on an acceptable redevelopment plan for the property.

"Our client wants to find a way to make this happen," Anderson said. "It's a unique and special building.

"We are working hard with the Landmark Commission and they have been responsive and understanding."

The Sanger Brothers garage was originally designed by Dallas architect J.A. Pitzinger, who also did the original Dr Pepper headquarters on Second Avenue near Fair Park.

With decorative brick and stonework and big metal windows, it's easy to mistake for one of the West End's other office and warehouse buildings.

When Sanger Brothers had the building, it housed "a complete motor department store where every need of the car may be supplied."

Photo's from back in the day show the roof of the garage lined with big Packards and Fords.

Merriman Anderson's plans for the property would convert the top two floors of the original garage into hotel rooms and have the lobby on the ground floor where retail is now located.

Merriman Anderson is one of Dallas' most experienced renovation architects, having handled the redesign of many downtown historic buildings including the Statler Hotel, Lone Star Gas buildings and Tower Petroleum Building.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 22 Aug 2018 12:47

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 Aug 2018 22:00

Nice shot, and you captured that crane in the distance...what is that working on?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 23 Aug 2018 11:57

The only projects to the south are the Holocaust Museum and the Records Building, I don't know what would need a crane down that way though. Maybe the Museum?

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 23 Aug 2018 12:05

I think it's for the Records Building complex renovation project

https://www.dallascounty.org/dcrb/
Last edited by maconahey on 23 Aug 2018 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Aug 2018 12:05

Yes its the County Courts and Records Building project I believe. They are stitching together three buildings built in three different eras with floors on different levels and building a rooftop events space as well.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 23 Aug 2018 12:48

Yes, we walked by this the other day to see what the crane was all about but didn't take a picture. The crane is wedged in where the garage doors were.

Record.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 24 Aug 2018 03:41

I believe I saw a rendering floating about somewhere, there will be a glass facade connecting the two buildings.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 24 Aug 2018 07:24

There are some pretty good visuals at the link:

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Aug 2018 08:05

The interiors will be what really shine once they are done. There are renderings of what they are doing inside as well.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 Aug 2018 10:27

Looks like they might be re-lighting the underpass between West End and Victory.

Meanwhile, the DIA is also working on plans to illuminate the path between the West End and Victory Park. “One connection that has been top of mind is that between the West End and Victory Park and how easy it is to get from one place to the next,” Sanders says. “But people don't realize it, and walking on the underpass is not very welcoming.”

So this summer, the DIA secured a $25,000 grant from Downtown Dallas Inc., a nonprofit advocacy group, to improve the safety on the path with a light installation. The grant will cover a series of lit metal arches that will be programmable and “have lots of opportunities to engage artists,” Sanders says.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dal ... d-11058842

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 24 Aug 2018 10:36

DPatel304 wrote:As for the actual underpass, I like the idea of setting up vendors here. I'd take it one step further and put a TON of lights all over the place. Maybe make the ground light up as you walk on it and/or play music with each step, which would be great to attract kids/families. Place tons of lights along the top as well, and maybe even have some sort of light show that goes off at a certain time each night. Dallas is all about putting lights on their buildings, so might as well embrace it and make a touristy attraction out of it.

..looks like they took my idea :D

I think it's fantastic, and exactly what the West End and Victory Park need to help with the foot traffic in the area.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Aug 2018 11:19

Cool. Can we take away the unnecessary parking for the The Perot under the highway? Let's activate that portion of the underpass with a Skate Park , Tennis Court , Futsal court, and Basketball court.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Aug 2018 12:33

Those archways were lit up before. I am not hearing anything that's wasn't done already before unless there will be an active art piece that attracts tourists by its sheer uniqueness and good maintenance by the city. Not to mention whats in the West End is kinda subtle now. There used to be the excitement of restaurants and shopping. Now its office space and few small quieter restaurants. Victory Park has added a Movie Theater now so that's better than nothing.

Also, someone may want to check but last I checked a few months ago the DEC Dallas Entrepreneur Center was gobbled up by Capitol Factory which was moving it to the Centrum into their new space on Oak Lawn.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 Aug 2018 12:36

I still like my Frogtown Plaza idea for the dead plaza just past the arches. Kids and tourists will love it and have no clue that it's a reference to the former red light district.

Frogtown Plaza.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 24 Aug 2018 12:57

lakewoodhobo wrote:I still like my Frogtown Plaza idea for the dead plaza just past the arches. Kids and tourists will love it and have no clue that it's a reference to the former red light district.

Frogtown Plaza.jpg

Hahaha, nice! A slight tweak on that, perhaps they do an exact replica of Pioneer Plaza, but replace the cows with frogs.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Aug 2018 12:59

maconahey wrote:I think it's for the Records Building complex renovation project

Awesome, thanks!

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 16 Sep 2018 14:28

ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr