Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Mid Elm Lofts

Tnexster
Posts: 1194
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Tnexster » 14 Jul 2017 10:56

Downtown Dallas building redo gets $14.6M in funding

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... 6m-funding

"Mid Elm Lofts will feature 29 high-end, boutique apartments in a turn-of-the- century loft setting, with ground floor retail, basement retail and a trendy rooftop retail area," the Dallas-based financial firm said. "Due to the complexity of the project, it took 3 years to arrange the financing of this project."

User avatar
Jay9398
Posts: 72
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:35

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Jay9398 » 14 Jul 2017 11:19

I'm glad there's a picture of how bad those buildings were before. I'll post some current pics later today.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1031
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jul 2017 11:22

They have def been busy lately building out new stuff you can't see from the street level. Keep in mind the older news on these buildings was that the city wanted significant emergency access built to be able to use the upper floors. It looks like they have had to build some rather large enclosed stairs and elevators to permit the usage of the upper floors.

IMG_1478.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304
Posts: 864
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Jul 2017 11:24

Finally an update on this one, but I really wish we could know when the final opening date is.

User avatar
Jay9398
Posts: 72
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:35

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Jay9398 » 14 Jul 2017 13:16

Street view and the view from my apartment where you can see the new exit structure cowboyeagle05 mentioned:

Elm1.JPG
Elm2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 857
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Jul 2017 13:32

The slowest 4 story project of all-time

User avatar
dpl-1202
Posts: 37
Joined: 07 Mar 2017 15:38

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby dpl-1202 » 14 Jul 2017 14:38

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:The slowest 4 story project of all-time


so true, this project has looked the same at street level for so long. Really glad to see those pics from the top though, now i can see what they've been doing all these years.

User avatar
Jay9398
Posts: 72
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:35

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Jay9398 » 14 Jul 2017 14:45

dpl-1202 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:The slowest 4 story project of all-time


so true, this project has looked the same at street level for so long. Really glad to see those pics from the top though, now i can see what they've been doing all these years.


The cinderblock structure went up very quickly over the last month or so. Most of the work I've been able to see for the past year+ has been beneath the sidewalk and under the buildings (then more recently the facade restoration).

Tnexster
Posts: 1194
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Tnexster » 14 Jul 2017 15:33

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:The slowest 4 story project of all-time


Does seem that way.....

User avatar
joshua.dodd
Posts: 297
Joined: 23 Oct 2016 01:11

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby joshua.dodd » 14 Jul 2017 16:11

I'm pleased that the city didn't demolish this site. Dallas has demolished so much of its prewar brick and mortar that it's a crime.

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 134
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby mdg109 » 14 Jul 2017 17:08

Southpaw's last post about their move-in date downtown says Summer 2017. I wonder if they'll be able to finish by the end of the year.

User avatar
soco
Posts: 33
Joined: 12 Dec 2016 16:51

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby soco » 30 Sep 2017 15:04

20170930_145036.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
hjkll
Posts: 35
Joined: 16 Sep 2017 20:56

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby hjkll » 30 Sep 2017 21:40

soco wrote:20170930_145036.jpg


What is the new addition?

I walk by this site often and it's bizarre how slow it is going...

But when this is done it will be nearly the ideal spot to rent downtown, especially with the Drever 100 feet away

What would be amazing is if we could get 50 more of these sorts of brick loft buildings built downtown in addition to this....

User avatar
Jbarn
Posts: 42
Joined: 05 Nov 2016 18:58

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Jbarn » 01 Oct 2017 08:29

soco wrote:20170930_145036.jpg


Yea, only 3 more years to go before this one is completed.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 489
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Oct 2017 09:49

soco wrote:20170930_145036.jpg


Side note: Would it kill Forest City to restore that vintage sign? Just pick one, Titche's or W.A. Green, and do it.

From the 1951 fire:
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 9.47.16 AM.png

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531 ... 7401/m1/1/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 489
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Nov 2017 11:42

This one continues to chug along. I was surprised to see through the roof of the building to the right, which of course means they're nowhere near the finish line.

IMG_1928.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
texasstar
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 22:39

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby texasstar » 07 Nov 2017 12:10

The absolute longest construction project in the history of mankind.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1031
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Nov 2017 12:55

What is sad is a project as slow-moving as this one gives historical restoration a bad rep. People start to think this is normal for a project like this to move this slow. I can almost guarantee there is some inexperience behind the wheel making things go much slower. Developers like KDC who build out major office projects have lots of expertise on staff to throw at even a small project like this. The developer here appears to be more homegrown so things don't spin as fast. I certainly appreciate that they preserved these buildings but I guarantee the management here did not anticipate all the problems they have had to deal with to make the project work. I get it, this is not an easy feat meeting all the fire code requirements and making the numbers work for future tenants so I give them that.

User avatar
Jay9398
Posts: 72
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:35

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Jay9398 » 07 Nov 2017 13:10

lakewoodhobo wrote:This one continues to chug along. I was surprised to see through the roof of the building to the right, which of course means they're nowhere near the finish line.

IMG_1928.jpg


The removal of the roof on the building to the right is very recent. I just noticed it yesterday. They are installing windows and interior walls on the building to the left. They also have recently finished the roof work and wrapped the new stair/elevator tower on that building.

It is painfully slow, but at least there is visible progress. For a long while you couldn't tell anything was happening at all.

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 134
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby mdg109 » 27 Nov 2017 23:10

I hadn't noticed the new glass on the windows.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304
Posts: 864
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Nov 2017 23:24

Looks like progress has picked up in the past month or so. That's not saying much, but it's still exciting to see the progress.

User avatar
Jbarn
Posts: 42
Joined: 05 Nov 2016 18:58

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Jbarn » 28 Nov 2017 06:55

DPatel304 wrote:Looks like progress has picked up in the past month or so. That's not saying much, but it's still exciting to see the progress.


Yeah, should be complete by 2021 or so.

Tnexster
Posts: 1194
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Tnexster » 28 Nov 2017 21:13

Can't wait to see how it turns out! It was worth saving and will add some character to Elm.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 489
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Apr 2018 15:05

Hard to believe, but you can actually see this one starting to wrap up.

IMG_5868.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ContriveDallasite
Posts: 170
Joined: 27 Oct 2016 03:34
Location: München

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby ContriveDallasite » 06 Apr 2018 01:45

Have to give it to them, this one took ages. But the exterior finish doesn't look cheap.

User avatar
Crystal
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Apr 2018 09:56

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Crystal » 06 Apr 2018 10:22

My company is doing the frameless shower glass for this project. You can see some internal photos and cool discovered artwork on our website at http://www.GoFrameless.com click on What's New. Google Thomas Cusack & Co. Chicago for good story about one of the artists whose work is seen in my photo. Original completion was February but there are always unforeseen delays in construction. I'm sure there were unexpected challenges working with infrastructure from 1900's. News article states: "Due to the complexity of the project, it took 3 years to arrange the financing of this project." My best guess for completion is end of June or July as the finish out is starting now floor by floor.

User avatar
mcrdal15
Posts: 31
Joined: 27 Mar 2018 16:02

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby mcrdal15 » 06 Apr 2018 13:23

Crystal wrote:My company is doing the frameless shower glass for this project. You can see some internal photos and cool discovered artwork on our website at http://www.GoFrameless.com click on What's New. Google Thomas Cusack & Co. Chicago for good story about one of the artists whose work is seen in my photo. Original completion was February but there are always unforeseen delays in construction. I'm sure there were unexpected challenges working with infrastructure from 1900's. News article states: "Due to the complexity of the project, it took 3 years to arrange the financing of this project." My best guess for completion is end of June or July as the finish out is starting now floor by floor.


Thanks for posting this! Are there any plans to renovate and remodel the ugly parking garage next to it?

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7814819 ... 6656?hl=en

It would be nice if they could cover those steel frames with the same material & design as the Mid Elm Lofts. It would add continuity to that part of the street.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 489
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Apr 2018 13:34

Crystal wrote:My company is doing the frameless shower glass for this project. You can see some internal photos and cool discovered artwork on our website at http://www.GoFrameless.com click on What's New. Google Thomas Cusack & Co. Chicago for good story about one of the artists whose work is seen in my photo. Original completion was February but there are always unforeseen delays in construction. I'm sure there were unexpected challenges working with infrastructure from 1900's. News article states: "Due to the complexity of the project, it took 3 years to arrange the financing of this project." My best guess for completion is end of June or July as the finish out is starting now floor by floor.


Great update! Is the Coca-Cola mural actually going to be painted on there, or some other advertisement? We really need these ghost signs restored, especially the one on the Wilson.

User avatar
Crystal
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Apr 2018 09:56

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Crystal » 07 Apr 2018 19:46

I can update project by project that we help with as long as there aren't restrictions to the media packets or contractual agreements in place. The parking next to it, I will check on as they going to need parking for this area. The outdoor billboard hand-painted design of coca-cola to my understanding was the computer generated projection of the transformation - not actual that was in place- BUT the interior photos of the original outdoor advertising uncovered before the buildings were adjoined is real.. If anyone has more info on this please chime in! The next big projects are the Ambassador Hotel & Olive Street Apartments-- What a ride to go in to the old Ambassador while it is in current shape- the only thing that came to mind for any of us was the movie "The Shining" but it will be a huge and amazing transformation!! I wish I could share the photos for that one now, but will have to wait until contracts are signed. Thanks for creating this forum! I am so excited to see and be a part of this downtown revitalization!!

User avatar
Jay9398
Posts: 72
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:35

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Jay9398 » 09 Apr 2018 08:44

mcrdal15 wrote:
Thanks for posting this! Are there any plans to renovate and remodel the ugly parking garage next to it?

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7814819 ... 6656?hl=en

It would be nice if they could cover those steel frames with the same material & design as the Mid Elm Lofts. It would add continuity to that part of the street.


That parking garage belongs to the Kirby Building. I'm not saying that your suggestion is impossible, just unlikely and completely unrelated to this project.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 243
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby exelone31 » 09 Apr 2018 11:52

Crystal wrote:I can update project by project that we help with as long as there aren't restrictions to the media packets or contractual agreements in place. The parking next to it, I will check on as they going to need parking for this area. The outdoor billboard hand-painted design of coca-cola to my understanding was the computer generated projection of the transformation - not actual that was in place- BUT the interior photos of the original outdoor advertising uncovered before the buildings were adjoined is real.. If anyone has more info on this please chime in! The next big projects are the Ambassador Hotel & Olive Street Apartments-- What a ride to go in to the old Ambassador while it is in current shape- the only thing that came to mind for any of us was the movie "The Shining" but it will be a huge and amazing transformation!! I wish I could share the photos for that one now, but will have to wait until contracts are signed. Thanks for creating this forum! I am so excited to see and be a part of this downtown revitalization!!


Looking forward to seeing progress on the Ambassador, and thank you for sharing!

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 134
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby mdg109 » 15 May 2018 12:53

Had no idea these were going to be so lit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 489
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 15 May 2018 13:24

mdg109 wrote:Had no idea these were going to be so lit.


The lighting looks great! I'm hoping they did something creative with the sidewalk which I believe was supposed to allow some light into the basement below (or maybe I imagined that). Either way, looking forward to City Tavern opening soon.

Elm Street looks so much different from its "fire corridor" days.

20d_street_028_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304
Posts: 864
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby DPatel304 » 15 May 2018 13:42

Looks great! Can't wait to see this one completed.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 449
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby R1070 » 15 May 2018 20:42

Wow... these look great.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1031
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 May 2018 08:17

It's just sad that Tim Headington put a huge hole in what was one of the best continuous facade pedestrian zones that could have been when he built his department store with a giant valet lot. Hopefully one day it will make sense to float some building over the valet area. These buildings look great though!

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 489
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 May 2018 10:13

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It's just sad that Tim Headington put a huge hole in what was one of the best continuous facade pedestrian zones that could have been when he built his department store with a giant valet lot. Hopefully one day it will make sense to float some building over the valet area. These buildings look great though!


I've tried to find photos of what the rest of this block looked like from here to Akard, but it's been almost impossible. I know that before the Kirby garage there was an A. Harris & Co. store here and across the street where the Tower Garage is, there was Cullum & Boren sporting goods. Cullum had a neon blade sign that matched the rest of the Theatre Row lights.

User avatar
mcrdal15
Posts: 31
Joined: 27 Mar 2018 16:02

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby mcrdal15 » 16 May 2018 12:11

lakewoodhobo wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:It's just sad that Tim Headington put a huge hole in what was one of the best continuous facade pedestrian zones that could have been when he built his department store with a giant valet lot. Hopefully one day it will make sense to float some building over the valet area. These buildings look great though!


I've tried to find photos of what the rest of this block looked like from here to Akard, but it's been almost impossible. I know that before the Kirby garage there was an A. Harris & Co. store here and across the street where the Tower Garage is, there was Cullum & Boren sporting goods. Cullum had a neon blade sign that matched the rest of the Theatre Row lights.


Here's a Google street-view from Oct. 2008:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7816499 ... 6656?hl=en

It's a damn shame they were torn down. They could've been renovated like the Mid-Elm lofts. Hopefully something will fill in that empty space in the future. Right now, it is an eyesore (pun intended).

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 585
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Las Colinas

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby muncien » 16 May 2018 12:51

mcrdal15 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:It's just sad that Tim Headington put a huge hole in what was one of the best continuous facade pedestrian zones that could have been when he built his department store with a giant valet lot. Hopefully one day it will make sense to float some building over the valet area. These buildings look great though!


I've tried to find photos of what the rest of this block looked like from here to Akard, but it's been almost impossible. I know that before the Kirby garage there was an A. Harris & Co. store here and across the street where the Tower Garage is, there was Cullum & Boren sporting goods. Cullum had a neon blade sign that matched the rest of the Theatre Row lights.


Here's a Google street-view from Oct. 2008:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7816499 ... 6656?hl=en

It's a damn shame they were torn down. They could've been renovated like the Mid-Elm lofts. Hopefully something will fill in that empty space in the future. Right now, it is an eyesore (pun intended).


I seriously think a copy/paste of that Legacy Food Hall would be awesome for this 'eyeball' lot. The only thing they would need to change would be to put entrances on the north and south ends of the building. Heck, you could even plant the eyeball on top and have it randomly spin to different orientations from time to time... freak some people out.

But yes... Those old buildings had some good character and scale. Bummer.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster
Posts: 1194
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Tnexster » 18 May 2018 21:17

These look good, nice to see they have installed some lighting at night too. Looks great and will give Elm a nice lift.

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 134
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby mdg109 » 02 Jun 2018 15:15

Finally getting to see behind the barricades.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 449
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby R1070 » 02 Jun 2018 15:28

What an improvement!

Tnexster
Posts: 1194
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Tnexster » 02 Jun 2018 15:50

That looks very nice

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 280
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby Matt777 » 06 Jun 2018 10:13

It looks like these lofts will be marketed through Deep Ellum Lofts' office. They now appear on the DE Lofts website along with floorplans and pricing: https://www.midelmlofts.com/

Those units with private rooftop patios are going to be spectacular!

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 134
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby mdg109 » 29 Jun 2018 12:35

From yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin
Posts: 149
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:47
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby dfwcre8tive » 29 Jun 2018 12:45

mdg109 wrote:From yesterday.


That's more detailed of a restoration than was expected. Nice photos.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 489
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Jun 2018 14:32

mdg109 wrote:From yesterday.


I'm assuming those frames on the sidewalk are for the basement windows, but we'll see.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 449
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby R1070 » 29 Jun 2018 20:44

So nice. I wish the valet circle behind Forty Five Ten would have had some retail buildings instead.

User avatar
ContriveDallasite
Posts: 170
Joined: 27 Oct 2016 03:34
Location: München

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby ContriveDallasite » 30 Jun 2018 05:00

Doesn't look like Dallas.

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 292
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Mid Elm Lofts

Postby eburress » 09 Jul 2018 08:18

I thought I'd share a photo of MEL from a foto.eng Instagram account which offers a great view of the extent of the rooftop changes.

Image


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests

Login