Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Museum Tower

hjkll

Re: Museum Tower

Postby hjkll » 03 Oct 2018 23:03

Tucy wrote:September 2018

Zero units sold
100 sold in 70 months. (1.43 per month) 14 remaining.
Rolling 12-month sales: 15 (1.25 per month)

Sellout projection, based on the pace of sales thus far: 6 years, 8 months.
Sellout projection, based on the pace of sales over the prior 12 months: 6 years, 10 months.

All we need to know is units sold this month and how many units left til sellout. These projections too much info & not that helpful

Dallas_Uptown

Postby Dallas_Uptown » 12 Oct 2018 11:37

I find the monthly sales postings both interesting and helpful. :)

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 12 Oct 2018 13:07

Dallas_Uptown wrote:I find the monthly sales postings both interesting and helpful. :)

Agreed, thanks Tucy!

Cabrio330

Postby Cabrio330 » 13 Oct 2018 05:52

There are definitely unhelpful posts in here, but they aren't Tucy's.

Thanks, Tucy, please keep the updates coning!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Oct 2018 10:15

Maybe we should have a tracking page or whatever, kinda like the pending projects page, arranging data of the handful of pricey condos for which Tucy has provided monthly sales progress.

Cabrio330

Postby Cabrio330 » 14 Oct 2018 16:26

Or he can just keep updating this thread. Is it really that hard for certain people to NOT click this thread since they already know what is in it?

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 02 Nov 2018 07:43

Last night, Museum Tower was featured on the Science Channel’s “Engineering Catastrophes”. It’s crazy that the building’s reflection is still an issue, well after its completion. I wonder if the issue will ever be fixed...

muncien

Postby muncien » 02 Nov 2018 10:17

dallaz wrote:Last night, Museum Tower was featured on the Science Channel’s “Engineering Catastrophes”. It’s crazy that the building’s reflection is still an issue, well after its completion. I wonder if the issue will ever be fixed...

I'm curious if it ever 'really' was an issue. I mean, how many years has it been? Perhaps shuffling a few pieces of art around WAS the fix.

* It has been far too long since we last opened this can of worms. lol Figured I'd help get things rolling. :lol:
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 02 Nov 2018 11:19

The Glare from Museum Tower makes its national television debut. So, what did we learn? It's really hot in Dallas!

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/archite ... hot-dallas

The Glare from Museum Tower made its debut on national television Thursday night. The music and the breathless narration did everything possible to add gasoline to the fire of the show's title — Engineering Catastrophes, which, appropriately, aired the night after Halloween on the Science Channel.

We learned that, on an 80-degree day, "The Towering Inferno" of heat blasting from the building next door can raise the temperature in the garden of the Nasher Sculpture Center to 110 degrees! We learned that the 270,000 square feet of reflective glass shooting bolts of sun like a cosmic ray gun off the tower is "a design flaw that the locals just can't ignore."

This, the narrator informed us, "is the last place you'd want a super-shiny building," because Dallas is "one of the sunniest places in the United States." Keep in mind that the show is produced in Britain by BriteSpark Films, whose London office no doubt sees a fair amount of rain, not to mention cooler climes.

Italian designer Fulvio Serra, whom the broadcast credits with building the Nasher's roof system — Serra worked under the auspices of Nasher architect and fellow Italian Renzo Piano — praised the roof design as being its own "sculpture in a museum of sculpture."

As the narrator explained, with all the pop science fervor he could muster, restoring the roof "to its former glory would mean modifying every aluminum shell," referring to the egg-crate-like "oculi" that permeate the Nasher roof. Serra has an idea about how to do that, which he explained in our recent story on The Glare, although the show stopped short of offering a single possible remedy.

The biggest hurdle to fixing The Glare is money — according to the show, whose glaring omission (sorry) was failing to mention even once the owner of Museum Tower, the Dallas Police and Fire Pension System. Nor did the show's 15-minute segment on The Glare (yes, that's all it was) dare to tiptoe into the nasty battle between the pension fund and the Nasher that made finding a solution as easy as peace in the Middle East. Keep in mind, The Glare recently passed its seventh birthday.

Nor did the show venture into the swamp of the fund's near-financial collapse that brought the City of Dallas to its knees before Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings, the Texas Legislature and the pension fund cobbled together a solution.

"Sometimes, buildings are built that are gorgeous and beautiful and wonderful, but you have to look at the effect it has on the community," said Petey Parker, who lives in One Arts Plaza, which is east of Museum Tower. As we all know, The Glare has directed its ray gun primarily to the west, where the Nasher sits like a fully baked, stationary target.

The narrator wrapped it all up by saying:

"Until a solid solution can be agreed upon, Museum Tower and its neighbors will simply have to avert their eyes and hope for the best."

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 02 Nov 2018 11:37

muncien wrote:
dallaz wrote:Last night, Museum Tower was featured on the Science Channel’s “Engineering Catastrophes”. It’s crazy that the building’s reflection is still an issue, well after its completion. I wonder if the issue will ever be fixed...

I'm curious if it ever 'really' was an issue. I mean, how many years has it been? Perhaps shuffling a few pieces of art around WAS the fix.

* It has been far too long since we last opened this can of worms. lol Figured I'd help get things rolling. :lol:
Hmmm I agree, it seems like the only real issue is with the Nasher. Come to think of it, I haven’t heard of any major problems with the other surrounding properties.
Last edited by dallaz on 02 Nov 2018 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 02 Nov 2018 11:38

This is not the droid you are looking for nothing to see move along.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 Nov 2018 12:24

It's an issue from the same bag of issues that included the Trinity River Tolled Highway, Humann 'Non-profit' operating Fair Park.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 06 Nov 2018 08:16

October 2018

Zero units sold
100 sold in 71 months. (1.41 per month) 14 remaining.
Rolling 12-month sales: 15 (1.25 per month)

Sellout projection, based on the pace of sales thus far: 6 years, 9 months.
Sellout projection, based on the pace of sales over the prior 12 months: 6 years, 11 months.