Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Deep Ellum: Epic ~ Knights of Pythias Temple

Tnexster

Re: Deep Ellum: Epic ~ Knights of Pythias Temple

Postby Tnexster » 14 Feb 2020 10:05

Warrior2015 wrote:Deep Ellum Boom
An entertainment district that once was a hotbed for jazz and blues, the Deep Ellum neighborhood east of downtown Dallas is undergoing a dramatic transformation, courtesy of Westdale Real Estate Investment and Management. The company is adding work to the live-play mix with a massive new mixed-use complex called The Epic. It features two hotels, a 310-unit luxury apartment tower, retail space, and two office towers, one of which will be fully occupied by Uber. Westdale also is partnering with global developer Hines to build a mixed-used project called The Stack. One thing’s for certain: Deep Ellum will never be the same.

In this article it mentions the epic will have two hotels. Is that accurate? I thought it was only one?

Which article is this? Is there a link?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 14 Feb 2020 10:53

Tnexster wrote:
Warrior2015 wrote:Deep Ellum Boom
An entertainment district that once was a hotbed for jazz and blues, the Deep Ellum neighborhood east of downtown Dallas is undergoing a dramatic transformation, courtesy of Westdale Real Estate Investment and Management. The company is adding work to the live-play mix with a massive new mixed-use complex called The Epic. It features two hotels, a 310-unit luxury apartment tower, retail space, and two office towers, one of which will be fully occupied by Uber. Westdale also is partnering with global developer Hines to build a mixed-used project called The Stack. One thing’s for certain: Deep Ellum will never be the same.

In this article it mentions the epic will have two hotels. Is that accurate? I thought it was only one?

Which article is this? Is there a link?

Here's the link to that article: https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... r-in-2020/

I remember reading "two hotels" somewhere as well, and I wondered if they were counting the "hotel addition" to the Pittman as a separate hotel.

dzh

Postby dzh » 31 Mar 2020 19:06

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/loc ... ronavirus/

Sounds like Uber is pausing construction for the foreseeable future. Hopefully we didn't just get our first unfinished "Stonehenge" for this previous cycle.

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 02 Apr 2020 10:14

dzh wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/local-companies/2020/03/31/uber-pausing-dallas-hiring-postponing-construction-until-2021-due-to-coronavirus/

Sounds like Uber is pausing construction for the foreseeable future. Hopefully we didn't just get our first unfinished "Stonehenge" for this previous cycle.

Well at least the construction will continue on the actual uber tower!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Apr 2020 10:21

The negative Nancy in me says great if they bail out cause Uber doesn't do well in this shutdown and can't commit to Dallas hub anymore we will have an empty tower with an economy on life support. The positive is like yay a new shiny thing in Deep Ellum...

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Apr 2020 12:26

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The negative Nancy in me says great if they bail out cause Uber doesn't do well in this shutdown and can't commit to Dallas hub anymore we will have an empty tower with an economy on life support. The positive is like yay a new shiny thing in Deep Ellum...

Yeah, I'm a little concerned for Uber at the moment. Their financials were not looking well to begin with and Ubers and JUMP Scooters are not really being used at the moment.

On the plus side, I'm guessing they are getting a lot of new customers introduced to Uber Eats.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Apr 2020 13:41

They have plenty of drivers right now cause everyone I know that actually drives for Uber as their main income is bored in most cases. They are seeing an increase in deliveries but last I heard it's not what it was when people were using them to ride to bars, restaurants, etc. Getting rid of the delivery fee is to entice more activity in the system. I assume they are still charging restaurants for access to their customers.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 02 Apr 2020 13:54

So construction will continue on the second office building from KDC?

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 02 Apr 2020 18:31

clcrash19 wrote:So construction will continue on the second office building from KDC?

Yes, that is what the Dallas Morning News reported in its article. Construction on the new tower will continue and it will be completed in 2021.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 06 Apr 2020 12:27

Drove by this today, didn't see much activity, couple construction workers but looks like it has been shut down.