Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Design District 1.0

lakewoodhobo

Re: Design District 1.0

Postby lakewoodhobo » 26 Sep 2019 09:48

New commercial building project in the works in Dallas' Design District
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -district/

The 72,000-square-foot project includes a small park and is [on Glass Street] just west of Riverfront Boulevard.

"We are building two new warehouse style buildings with the park between them," said Tanner Ewing with Ewing Properties Texas. "We decided to incorporate some type of green space to add more lushness down here."

One of the two-story buildings has already been leased to Planet Granite, a 42,000 square-foot high-end rock climbing and fitness facility.

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.46.02 AM.jpg

A bit of a stretch to call this a park, but any amount of green space in this area is a vast improvement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Sep 2019 10:51

Nice, not a lot of opportunity for green space there. Wish somebody would try a green roof.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Sep 2019 11:33

I suppose it's better than what was there previously. But still rather forgettable

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Sep 2019 12:31

The Design District is still kinda a weird bird to me. We saw an explosion of restaurants and residential in one area (HiLine and Oak Lawn), galleries on Dragon Street and mostly one-offs of restaurants all over some areas. Dallas Contemporary in another area and of course the Virgin hotel is quickly finishing up. Multiple local breweries call the Design District home. I still don't see a unified direction for development though. Still seems like things are happening all over but not close enough to work together on making the area become anything more than the sleeper it is now. All the things I listed above are good things it just feels so dead like nothing is happening still.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 26 Sep 2019 12:49

^^ Valid points. I've always sort of felt the same way. I think the DD has the ability to be THE coolest area in Dallas. I remember when Harwood had plans to build a nice apartment complex with ground floor retail. It never really took off (although I think signs are still up).Here's an old article dating back to 2013 on it- https://www.dmagazine.com/commercial-re ... the-works/

I've always though the Design District would be a perfect place for a festival like Main Street Fort Worth or Wildflower in Richardson.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Sep 2019 12:51

Sometimes I've thought better street and pedestrian flow with Victory Park would really enhance the Design District, and then I've thought better connectivity would wash-out the Design District.

muncien

Postby muncien » 26 Sep 2019 12:55

The DD has an oppertunity like few other to create an awesome little network of pedestrian alley ways that link various business/resturaunts/lofts etc., if they repurpose their network of former rail right of ways. There are tons of them, and they all conveniently link to existing or prosed trails, and even the VP DART station. It is such a bummer that no cohesive plan has been put in place to take advantage of this asset.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Sep 2019 13:32

The Strand trail does get used as well but still, it lacks the hub atmosphere that took the Katy Trail years to become.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Sep 2019 20:00

muncien wrote:The DD has an oppertunity like few other to create an awesome little network of pedestrian alley ways that link various business/resturaunts/lofts etc., if they repurpose their network of former rail right of ways. There are tons of them, and they all conveniently link to existing or prosed trails, and even the VP DART station. It is such a bummer that no cohesive plan has been put in place to take advantage of this asset.

word

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 26 Sep 2019 22:08

muncien wrote:The DD has an oppertunity like few other to create an awesome little network of pedestrian alley ways that link various business/resturaunts/lofts etc., if they repurpose their network of former rail right of ways. There are tons of them, and they all conveniently link to existing or prosed trails, and even the VP DART station. It is such a bummer that no cohesive plan has been put in place to take advantage of this asset.

Yes! Seeing them developed into an urban trail system would be cool, especially with new small shops/bars/dining sprouting up carved out of existing warehouses or built new. Key word small. An eclectic mix.

willyk

Postby willyk » 27 Sep 2019 23:02

Cobblestones.

No scooters.