Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

DTD: Farmer's Market 1.0

cowboyeagle05

Re: DTD: Farmer's Market 1.0

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2019 11:23

The Farmers Market is finally being surrounded by residential development that will help sustain it. Before it was surrounded by warehouses that while useful to the produce suppliers did nothing to help the Farmers Market grow a sustainable business.

willyk

Postby willyk » 22 Jun 2019 23:02

willyk wrote:Just noticed that columns and a crane are up for what appears to be a new apartment project on S Harwood just south of the Amelia, occupying the site between Harvest Lofts and The Bridge.

Was there ever an announcement or renders?

There is so much nice, low key, residential around the Farmers Market now—it reminds me of how State Thomas grew organically for many years before Uptown happened.

Still hoping someone has info about this project...

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 24 Jun 2019 09:35

I thought this location had an announcement for a 55+ development.
I thought it was going to be 7 or 8 story structure, assuming this is the same location.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Jul 2019 10:27

Went to Mudhen for dinner on Saturday and the place was pretty dead, enough that it wouldn't surprise me if they closed soon. Food and service were both great and relatively affordable, so I'm a little confused about why it isn't doing well.

You'd think that a huge reason for moving to this area is being able to walk to a decent restaurant, but I guess not.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Jul 2019 10:34

lakewoodhobo wrote:Went to Mudhen for dinner on Saturday and the place was pretty dead, enough that it wouldn't surprise me if they closed soon. Food and service were both great and relatively affordable, so I'm a little confused about why it isn't doing well.

You'd think that a huge reason for moving to this area is being able to walk to a decent restaurant, but I guess not.

I went to the Farmer's Market once for dinner on a Friday evening and while it wasn't dead, it wasn't nearly as lively as it normally is. This didn't really surprise me, as it seems like this area is more of a destination for people to commute to during the day (especially when the weather is nice).

You bring up a good point though. Long term this area will have to do more to attract more people at all times of day, rather than just mornings and afternoons. I'm sure as the East Quarter develops, you'll have more people in the area and more things to do nearby.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 02 Jul 2019 12:04

I've been to Mudhen a couple of times, usually for brunch, and while I love the space and surrounding area--I really WANT to love Mudhen--the food itself is really uneven. Twice, I've had dishes that were missing a couple of key ingredients explicitly called out in the menu description. Like...once I got a shrimp, beet, arugula, and avocado salad, and it was missing both beets and avocados, and when I inquired, they told me they were out. A Texas restaurant--a fruit and veg-forward restaurant, at that--out of avocados at brunch?! Bizarre.

There may be several reasons for the empty dining room.

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 02 Jul 2019 12:28

Its also huge footprint-wise. It feels it should be 3 restaurants not one.
Maybe Mudhen would be part of a multiple concept set-up. That may be a problem with the kitchen tho.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Jul 2019 15:55

When this Anglican bishop saw the Dallas skyline, he heard God's voice

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... gods-voice

We decided to keep the building the way it was; it's an old car dealership, built back in '24. So it's about 100 years old. And there was nothing in it, I mean nothing. So, no electricity, no sprinkler system, no HVAC or anything. So we started from scratch and decided to keep the building so it stays within the architecture of downtown, keep that look, but contemporize it to a degree by adding windows and bring in lots of light, put in new windows. And also some greenery, some trees that are inside the church. Where the showroom was is this terrazzo floor, but that's going to be where we're going to worship. That's our sanctuary.

https://allsaintschurchdallas.org/parki ... 1-s-ervay/