Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Arts District: Chase Tower

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Arts District: Chase Tower

Postby dfwcre8tive » 08 Feb 2017 13:44

Chase Tower's plaza is the next to go... being transformed into a driveway and reworked plaza with the goal of better connections to the Arts District. The transformation of Ross Avenue continues.

Big changes on the way at downtown Dallas' Chase Tower
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2017/02/08/big-changes-way-downtown-dallas-chase-tower

Now Landau plans to rework the plaza and entry to make Chase Tower more appealing to visitors, he said.
"We are going to make the plaza in front an extension of the Arts District," he said. "Right now, it's not very appealing for arrivals. The building has so much to offer by repositioning the plaza and creating an art component.

A more open plaza area, landscaping, walkways and a motor drop off at the base of the building are part of the plans for the Ross Avenue side of the tower.

"Because of the way that plaza is now landscaped, it blocks visual and real access to the front of the building," Landau said. "Our approach is to open it up.

"It's going to be a pretty dramatic change," he said. "We are going to strip clean the entire plaza and start from scratch."

Landau said the fitness center that's now located in the retail rotunda in front of the tower on Ross will be enlarged and relocated to the lower level.

The monumental rotunda space will then be repurposed.

"We plan to bring in a top tier restaurant to the rotunda which it was initially designed for," Landau said. "It's a prime location and absolutely beautiful space."

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Re: Arts District: Chase Tower

Postby dfwcre8tive » 08 Feb 2017 13:49

Here are some images from that article. It appears they are leveling the tiered green amphitheater (currently underutilized) so the pedestrian plaza can be transformed into a parking/drive area. Angled walkways replace the curving postmodern garden beds and walls are removed.

Interesting historical reference:

"The 56,000 Square Ft. Plaza was the largest open urban space in downtown Dallas. Trammell Crow Company was committed to creating a unique place for people to congregate and celebrate the Arts."

http://archinect.com/people/project/177 ... a/17795913

Current appearance:

Current street view: https://goo.gl/maps/EdtY2fAaSY62

Original design:

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Feb 2017 13:58

This honestly feels like a step back when you consider the additional motor court and parking spaces.

muncien

Postby muncien » 08 Feb 2017 14:34

I think motor courts and drop offs are a necessary evil in today's transportation. With ride sharing and autonomy on the way, they're actually more necessary than parking garages.
That said, this is one big honking drive-way. Way overkill. I'm glad they're cleaning up the entrance as the current setup is too fortress like, but they really should have done better. Something like what Belo is doing seems like a more appropriate use of space.
They could have easily had a curb cut to support drop offs, but they took a different route. Bummer.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 08 Feb 2017 16:06

If the motor court were smaller, this would be a home run, in my opinion. I can't wait for the rotunda to be turned into a restaurant.

FP, Trammell Crow, Chase Bank Building -- Ross Avenue is on fire.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 08 Feb 2017 17:52

I said this in SSP as well.... They need to fix the lighting at the top of the building back to the bright lighting. It just looks so dark the way it is now.

willyk

Postby willyk » 08 Feb 2017 22:19

Turn the left turn lanes into a landscaped median--Park Avenue does Dallas.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Feb 2017 08:56

The one big positive here is the rotunda restaurant. It made no sense as a fitness center. I don't mind removing the amphitheater. Unless the Chase tower management aggressively programmed it which they haven't in decades. Its design was a relic of good intentions. I do wish they incorporated more retail which I know is a difficult proposition without a parking lot. Most casual eateries, for example, wouldn't be interested unless their hours are office worker-centered only. The restaurant will obviously be a high-end signature valet based concept. Dallas doesn't have enough of those. Sadly the rest of the grounds will be mostly underutilized still. Giant sculpture in a wasteland of useless greenspace is not already unheard of in Dallas office tower landscaping, let alone in the Arts District. Mind you this is an improvement that a future reinterpretation could take even further.

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 09 Feb 2017 09:22

I'm happy with the rotunda restaurant. People on the other side of Ross in the evening is a plus for this area. This will be a good - albeit small- improvement to the connection to the new TC Building on Ross.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 03 Jul 2018 13:13

Not sure if this is recent or if it's been fenced off for a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Jul 2018 20:15

I really hope they re-light the building like it used to be. That part of the skyline has been so dark looking for years now.