Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

muncien

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby muncien » 26 Dec 2017 13:48

I have to say... Having visited Main Street Garden Park for the first time in a while, it seems to have become quite a hit. The entire EMC corridor was absolutely bustling with activity last night, which was quite surprising when you consider that there was hardly anything open. Even after 11PM, there were still countless people in the park, with kids running around, etc.
Perhaps these are locals who are bringing their visiting family to DTD, or maybe it's due to all the new hotels full of visitors, but it was quite impressive. The transformation that this are has seen over the last ten years is just mind blowing. I know we study it every day and it can seem to take for ever, but sometimes we need to take a step back to really see the transition over time.
The Statler is just a small part of this observation, but it is a beautiful building and it makes a HUGE difference to have it alive and kicking again.

JREDallas

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby JREDallas » 28 Dec 2017 15:17

^ My parents stayed at The Statler Christmas Eve and Christmas nights. They commented on the same thing about the level of activity in the park. They saw a steady flow of people taking pictures with the tree, wreath, etc.

willyk

Postby willyk » 02 Jan 2018 21:30

The building belongs in everyone’s tour of Dallas. Are there other examples of mid-century modern that are as good as the Statler? Is this the best mcm in the country?

eburress

Postby eburress » 03 Jan 2018 06:18

willyk wrote:The building belongs in everyone’s tour of Dallas. Are there other examples of mid-century modern that are as good as the Statler? Is this the best mcm in the country?

How would one quantify "as good as?" For what it's worth, the entire city of Palm Springs has maintained its midcentury modern style, even with new construction. So whether or not it's "as good as" the Statler, there's certainly a lot more midcentury modern in PS.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Jan 2018 11:16

Yeah cause I know a number of people that still wish the building was torn down cause they don't get mid-century architecture.

vman

Postby vman » 04 Jan 2018 07:08

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Yeah cause I know a number of people that still wish the building was torn down cause they don't get mid-century architecture.

You're right. I've heard people refer to the building as "ugly" for years, while I've always found it to be beautiful and a wonderful piece of architecture.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 04 Jan 2018 10:34

vman wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Yeah cause I know a number of people that still wish the building was torn down cause they don't get mid-century architecture.

You're right. I've heard people refer to the building as "ugly" for years, while I've always found it to be beautiful and a wonderful piece of architecture.

To be fair, Dallas let's its "Historical" buildings fall into disrepair or close to it far too often.

How can you except the general public, who tend NOT to be architecture nerds, to value something that looks like junk and has been in that state for decades (sometimes their entire lifetime)?

It's astonishing how this building, Dallas High School and countless other old buildings are left to rot.

Then when someone proposes something new the preservation society screams "Travesty!".

I don't think it's the general public or even the developer who proposes something new, that have disdain for the old. The city and property owners play a big part of what the public values.

If old buildings are treated well the community comes to value them over time. Look at how the community rallied around the Lakewood theatre.

Dallas' problem is that they cry about preserving old buildings without actually implementing preservation practices in a swift nature.

It's the biggest irony!

willyk

Postby willyk » 05 Jan 2018 02:38

eburress wrote:
willyk wrote:The building belongs in everyone’s tour of Dallas. Are there other examples of mid-century modern that are as good as the Statler? Is this the best mcm in the country?

How would one quantify "as good as?" For what it's worth, the entire city of Palm Springs has maintained its midcentury modern style, even with new construction. So whether or not it's "as good as" the Statler, there's certainly a lot more midcentury modern in PS.

I am not familiar with Palm Springs. The internet shows some terrific MCM homes, but no commercial buildings of the size and stature of the Statler. If this is one the best examples of MCM still standing in the country, that would be something worth bragging about.

The U.N. Headquarters might fit—but I have heard people say it is in the international style. So I am thinking we claim bragging rights on this one.

eburress

Postby eburress » 05 Jan 2018 08:17

willyk wrote:
eburress wrote:

I am not familiar with Palm Springs. The internet shows some terrific MCM homes, but no commercial buildings of the size and stature of the Statler. If this is one the best examples of MCM still standing in the country, that would be something worth bragging about.

The U.N. Headquarters might fit—but I have heard people say it is in the international style. So I am thinking we claim bragging rights on this one.

It sounds like by "as good as," you meant "as large as," and for all I know, you could be right.

Yeah, doing a Google Images search on "Palm Springs Architecture" will show some of the breadth of its midcentury structures, but sure, there's not a building in all of the Coachella Valley that's as big as the Statler. ;)

dallasbeatsaustin

Postby dallasbeatsaustin » 05 Jan 2018 10:41

The only building that the Statler reminds me of in shape and size is the Hotel Uzbekistan in Tashkent, although the Statler is still bigger, I think. Mid-Century, soviet style.
60097524.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 06 Jan 2018 01:54

These are nice:

In Dallas, I would rank best Mid-Century Modern (large building) architecture:
1. Meadows Building
2. 3525 Turtle Creek
3. Republic Center
3. Statler Hilton
4. Great National Life Insurance

Combined with the library it still deserves the title of "best block of Mid-Century Modern architecture in downtown Dallas."

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Jan 2018 23:00

Three new things at The Statler: Waterproof, the rooftop bar, is open; José de Rivera's "A Wishing Star" has been restored; Scout, the bar with bowling lanes and other games, looks close to opening.

IMG_3448.jpg
IMG_3441.jpg
IMG_3442.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

willyk

Postby willyk » 08 Jan 2018 22:01

Scout looks great—we asked about opening and the front desk said “Q1.” :(

But it’s destined to be the Rec Room for all of Downtown.