Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

ArtVandelay

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby ArtVandelay » 26 Apr 2019 18:00

Does it look like they are not building up?

jsoto3

Re: Downtown Dallas: Statler Hotel & Residences + Future DMN Offices (Old Statler Hilton + Old Library)

Postby jsoto3 » 26 Apr 2019 21:41

maconahey wrote:I'm guessing they're going to put up stick construction on top of this?

Yep, per the rendering this appears to be a "5-over-2" (5 stories of wood over 2 stories of concrete podium), currently the most cost-effective way to construct a 7-story multi-family residential building, especially if you want to incorporate ground floor retail.

https://www.nishkian.com/cost-effective ... struction/
https://www.awc.org/pdf/education/des/R ... 140210.pdf
https://www.thinkwood.com/news/how-a-po ... ry-project

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 05 Jun 2019 12:36

Went by this site last night, and it still looks about the same as the photos from late April. Anyone have info on this?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Jun 2019 12:33

I've seen very little action from the site since the concrete got done. No preparations, no milling about, no coffee/donuts. I see more from the loiterers by the 7-Eleven. Hopefully this isn't another fake-out like 2000 Ross.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 10 Jul 2019 20:02

Does anyone know whether the developer can fake us out and just put up a parking deck with no apartments/condos? They had to get approval from the landmark commission b/c it’s in a historic district. It looks like they are ready to open up the parking garage.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 10 Jul 2019 21:20

In addition: https://twitter.com/mattvermillion/stat ... 9265104896

Wondering if we need to go back and read something that might've given a clue there would be a phase where the garage would open and the 5/2 would begin (at a later date, perhaps not too much later) over it while garage is in operation. No idea here, but, the pause is certainly noticeable.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jul 2019 09:46

Well, they did say the parking was of immediate need for the DMN HQ and the Hotel. I am sure they want the units to come online around the time the park is going up and Harwood Park is still in the process. I doubt leasing of those units will go very well until there is a park going forward.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Jul 2019 21:50

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well, they did say the parking was of immediate need for the DMN HQ and the Hotel. I am sure they want the units to come online around the time the park is going up and Harwood Park is still in the process. I doubt leasing of those units will go very well until there is a park going forward.

Reasonable explanation, lets hope that's the case.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Jul 2019 09:13

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well, they did say the parking was of immediate need for the DMN HQ and the Hotel. I am sure they want the units to come online around the time the park is going up and Harwood Park is still in the process. I doubt leasing of those units will go very well until there is a park going forward.

This makes a lot of sense if you believe Centurion plans on keeping the Statler and library as a long-term investment (and I hope they do). What's more likely to happen is that one or both pieces will be sold in the next couple of years, and then whether or not to build the apartments is up to the next owner.

It's why the developer should've built the apartment shell first and finish them out at a later time, like what was done with the Parkside condos facing Klyde Warren.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 13 Jul 2019 19:41

willyk wrote:Labor shortage maybe.

Or possibly a sign of a slowdown in the market, which seems most likely.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jul 2019 15:58

lakewoodhobo wrote:

This makes a lot of sense if you believe Centurion plans on keeping the Statler and library as a long-term investment (and I hope they do). What's more likely to happen is that one or both pieces will be sold in the next couple of years, and then whether or not to build the apartments is up to the next owner.

It's why the developer should've built the apartment shell first and finish them out at a later time, like what was done with the Parkside condos facing Klyde Warren.

In the case of selling its kinda a blessing, they didn't build the shell because the next owner could build a better building on top. The final design left a lot to be desired but then again comparing it to the Statler, Library and the Municipal building means anything is gonna be almost like bland toast because each of those buildings is from such significant architectural eras. Mind you I too hate to stare at a bare-bones garage as much as anyone on here.

eburress

Postby eburress » 30 Aug 2019 20:43

^^ This looks considerably worse than the renderings...

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 Aug 2019 11:42

DMN is using the garage portion they were allocated correct?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 31 Aug 2019 12:46

eburress wrote:^^ This looks considerably worse than the renderings...

I drove by it recently and it really does look horrible. Hope they finish it.

TreeFrog

Postby TreeFrog » 31 Aug 2019 22:46

I just wish they would re-open Jackson westbound. Sad it's been closed this long for this hideous addition.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Sep 2019 13:40

Considering the Uber announcement its not like the apartments here wouldn't be in demand. I wish the delay was because they were going build something better on top but we know that's not the case. Also, the developer just bought the old airline dormitory building on Wycliff and DNT. They keep buying new projects to start but need to finish this one...ugh. There is a construction workers shortage in Dallas but that would just be a smokescreen too. I mean it's not even that many units they could have the exterior done quickly and build out the inside once the Harwood park starts if they wanted to.